Patient Comments: Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease - Symptoms and Signs

What were the symptoms and signs of your hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD)?

Comment from: 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: December 29

Reading all of these makes me feel a little better about what I'm going through. From what the doctor said, adults are rarely infected by hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD) and when we are, the symptoms are usually not that bad. Like many here, I have experienced some pretty awful symptoms. It started with a slight sore neck and a slight sore throat that within a day turned into severe neck and throat pain along with fever, chills and some aches and pains. That lasted about a day, and then I looked into my mouth and saw a bunch of red dots in my mouth. I also had what I thought was a red pimple on the side of my nose, except it itched a little and when I scratched it the skin kind of just wiped away. I was pretty freaked out at this point and went to the doctor who said it was HFMD (also noticed red bumps on my hands). It's been a day and a half and I've got a ton of these bumps on my hands and feet. They feel like slivers to me, annoying but not unbearable. My hands are also starting to itch right now. The worst part are the sores on my face and mouth. The ones in my mouth are very painful and have made it hard to eat and drink. The ones on my face are ugly and if touched the skin just wipes away. They are on my nose and around my mouth. Tomorrow is Christmas, hope there's a miracle and it stops spreading and gets better.

Comment from: pdxgenesis, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 15

Hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD) is the most awful virus I have dealt with to date. My 8 month old son got a fever and was irritable on a Friday and into Saturday. By Monday he was acting better, but had spots showing up on his mouth, hands, etc. I didn't know what it was. By Monday afternoon I was getting chills, had a fever of 101 all night. Tuesday I went to work (still not knowing what HFMD was) with the most awful sore throat I have ever had, and white pockets on my tonsils. By Tuesday night my hands were tingling and itchy. I couldn't sleep but my power was out due to weather so I couldn't see the rash forming on my hands. When I got to work Wednesday I noticed the rash was turning into blisters all over my hands. I left work and went to the doctor who confirmed enterovirus. Wednesday night was the most awful night. My hands were literally on fire. Aloe didn't work. Gold Bond didn't work. I soaked my hands in yogurt. Nothing worked. Benadryl I think helped. I had a steady routine for about 3 days of Benadryl and ibuprofen. I finally fell asleep holding ice packs in my hands on Wednesday night. The itching and rash spread continued into Thursday. Then by Thursday afternoon I was having trouble walking. My scalp was also itching, and I was picking at scabs under my hair. I took off my shoes and noticed it was spreading there. By Friday I had red rash all over my legs and my feet, and could barely walk. Thankfully my hands no longer itched. By Friday evening just relaxing as the first night I didn't take Benadryl. Today is Saturday and I woke up for the first time not in pain. My rash is fading by the hour on my hands, although there are still some pretty nasty welts on the backs of my hands. I am embarrassed to show my hands in public! My finger tips are all hard, and numb. It's like the rashes and pocks would grow, join, and then fizzle out on your finger into this hard, dry callus. Today I found about 3 or 4 on my face and had a few in my mouth but all in all it has been my least painful day where I actually feel there is an end in sight. I would not wish this on anyone. I have no idea where my baby boy got it, but had no idea what it even was. I thought it was just a fever, maybe he was teething. I will be so much more cautious in the future. This was pure awful.

Comment from: Nellie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 02

I am on my 6th day of hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD). It started with what I thought was flu virus, aching badly, sore throat, earache, and shivering. I was shattered. By the 3rd day the symptoms had gone except sore throat. That night hands and feet started to itch and sting. Next day I had pin head blisters and rash on soles and palms; felt like walking and touching a bed of pins and needles. The only small relief was putting ice blocks under my feet. Strangely zinc and castor oil cream helped. I wouldn't wish it on anyone, itching is intense too. I wonder how long the blisters and rash last.

Comment from: 43female, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

My husband, children and I are getting over hand, foot and mouth disease (HFMD), likely the A6 variety, which we picked up in Hawaii. It starts with chills, progresses to a 103 fever which breaks in two days. Then for me, but not my children, little red rashes appeared fairly quickly along with white ulcers in the back of the throat and a few on the tip of my nose. Then came the burning, itching, and acid-burning feeling on my hands and feet. It was a nightmare for a few days. One of the days I could not walk on my feet or hold anything. Then the rash turned into what looked like giant thick callouses that are peeling off in giant, plastic bottle thick, huge patches. I fully expect that my nails will fall out next since there was so much pressure under them. Stay hydrated and see a doctor to rule out other things. Good luck.

Comment from: Andy, Male (Patient) Published: October 14

I caught hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD) from my 7 month old boy who had it last week. The doctors said he had a virus which caused his eczema to flare up all over his body. Then I had fever just like him over Friday night. By Saturday morning it had gone but I started to get little red blisters on finger plus I got a little eczema on face which had instantly flared up all over face and was itchy and sore. Now the blisters itch loads especially in between toes and I have one under toenail which throbs. It is Sunday night and I can't sleep. I can't wait for this to end.

Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease - Treatments Question: What treatment did you receive for hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD)?
Hand Foot and Mouth Disease - Causes Question: What caused your hand, foot, and mouth disease?