Patient Comments: Hand Foot and Mouth Syndrome - Symptoms

What were the symptoms and signs of your hand, foot, and mouth (HFM) disease?

Comment from: Nursing Mom, Female (Caregiver) Published: December 05

My 4 year old son who has Alopecia Areata (an autoimmune disorder) developed white sores on his tongue and then blisters on his hands. It was very difficult for him to eat, but he was very happy about getting Popsicle all the time. We rinsed his mouth about 3 times a day with salt water and made a game out of it. Advil was given for any pain or fever but he only got a fever on the first day of symptoms. I am also expecting our third baby and am 6 weeks along. My obstetrician-gynecologist was contacted and stated that I get blood work to see if I was ever exposed to the virus. I am still waiting for results. This is day 6 of the "incubation" period and his blisters in his mouth have vanished and the blisters on his hands are almost gone. The blisters on his hands have left red dots and will go away soon.

Comment from: Sue, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I posted earlier, but wanted to add more now that it has been a couple of months. I have lost one toe nail due to hand, foot, and mouth (HFM) disease, and expecting to lose two more as well as a finger nail. You can see a distinct marking where the damage occurred on each nail, and they are growing out, but will soon separate. Good times!

Comment from: nance, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

I contracted the virus from my grandchild who, unbeknownst to us, had a mild case. Mine started with a high fever and headache for 2 days, then a low grade fever. My ear ached from the sores that developed in the back of my mouth. I couldn't swallow food, liquids hurt, too. By the 3rd day the rash and sores appeared on my hands. They hurt so much I could barely wash them. They actually are stiff and I am unable to do simple chores with them. By the following day my feet started throbbing. The sores are along the insides and the soles. Walking has been difficult. The doctor told me after his diagnosis that when adults get this it is worse than what a child gets. I'm living proof to that. I have never had anything this painful and prolonged. I have been through childbirth, gall balder removal, and surgery for a broken ankle. This is far worse and lingering. I am hoping now that it is in my feet it is working its way out of my body.

Comment from: mle2b123, 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 08

My 2-1/2 year old has been diagnosed with hand, foot, and mouth (HFM) disease. This was the progression: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday he was feeling cruddy but eating, running temperature and trembles but no rash yet. Thursday he felt better until his fever started running again. Thursday night the rash came and he woke up covered, both legs and arms, with 100-degree temperature at the doctor's. He got medicine Friday night but woke up Saturday and it had spread to his hands. Sunday it has spread to his feet. I have to keep him covered and lathered and away from others.

Comment from: Anne, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

My hand, foot, and mouth (HFM) disease started by a single red spot that developed into a blister. After an hour a half a lot of it was on the palm of my hands and I was bothered already because it is not an ordinary rash or blister; it is very painful. Then I got a lot in my gums, my inner cheek, my tongue, and my oral cavity. I could not eat for days. I wasn't able to report for work because I can't talk because of the sores in my tongue.

Comment from: nika, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 06

I have it now I was just at the hospital a few hours ago and my symptoms started off as a minor sore throat and headaches then 2 days later I started getting then small itchy bumps on my hands and feet. Then then next day I started getting painful blisters on my hands and feet and my throat was so sore I couldn't eat or drink after taking my 1st antibiotic shot I'm starting to feel a little better but the blisters hurt like hell.

Comment from: cdubb, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 17

I started out feeling like something was going to be wrong. I just started losing energy. Took my temp and had a fever. It got as high as about 102.8. The chills were unbelievable and I had this tingly sensation running up and down my body the entire time. Then I got a headache. The next morning the fever was gone briefly and then returned. I noticed a few dots on my hands but didn't think much of it until I started seeing more later in the day and they started to burn. Dumbly, I popped a few of them thinking they were something I'd had in the past. The next morning (this is now day 3) I had a ton on my hand so I went into the urgent care. The doctor said it sounded like HMF (something I have never heard of) and that I probably got it from my son, who had a rash on his butt that was wrongly diagnosed from his pediatrician as a yeast infection. The doctor told me I was likely through the worst of it, but at this time I had no bumps on my feet yet and probably a dozen or so on my hands. She told me it had to run its course. The next day (day 4) my hands were full of bumps, burning and itching). And the next day they were on my feet too. I am currently on day 7 and the bumps have flattened out and don't really itch anymore, but they are not gone yet. I used a lot of calamine, and creams on my hand to try and help with the itching, but stopped that day 5 hoping I could dry the bumps out quicker leaving them alone. Right now the tips of my fingers feel like there is super glue stuck to them. I have lost feeling in them probably due to bumps or liquid under the skin. This is the worst disease ever, but I was lucky enough not to get any in my mouth. The best way to deal with this disease is to sleep and take Benadryl for the rash, and be patient.

Hand Foot and Mouth Syndrome - Treatments Question: What treatment did you receive for hand foot and mouth (HFM) disease?