Patient Comments: Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease - Symptoms and Signs

What were the symptoms and signs of your hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD)?

Comment from: Nellie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 02

I am on my 6th day of hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD). It started with what I thought was flu virus, aching badly, sore throat, earache, and shivering. I was shattered. By the 3rd day the symptoms had gone except sore throat. That night hands and feet started to itch and sting. Next day I had pin head blisters and rash on soles and palms; felt like walking and touching a bed of pins and needles. The only small relief was putting ice blocks under my feet. Strangely zinc and castor oil cream helped. I wouldn't wish it on anyone, itching is intense too. I wonder how long the blisters and rash last.

Comment from: RJ, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 24

I never had strep until I was 24 and in the military. One night I had a very slightly scratchy throat when I started shift, by the next morning I couldn't swallow and felt like death warmed over. The first antibiotic they gave me didn't do anything, I had to be taken by my squad leader to the emergency room five days later to get stronger antibiotics, after I passed out from not eating for four days. I remember, besides the sore throat, my entire body hurting. Even my hair hurt. Not a fun time. I caught it again yesterday. Throat was a little scratchy in the early evening but I didn't think much of it, then I started to get achy but I just figured it was all the rain. Then I spent the entire night feeling progressively worse, pounding headache, severe body aches, and of course a raw throat with swollen lymph nodes and a fever of 102. I did get into a clinic straight away so I'm already on antibiotics. Hopefully I will feel at least somewhat better soon. Terrible early Christmas gift.

Comment from: 43female, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

My husband, children and I are getting over hand, foot and mouth disease (HFMD), likely the A6 variety, which we picked up in Hawaii. It starts with chills, progresses to a 103 fever which breaks in two days. Then for me, but not my children, little red rashes appeared fairly quickly along with white ulcers in the back of the throat and a few on the tip of my nose. Then came the burning, itching, and acid-burning feeling on my hands and feet. It was a nightmare for a few days. One of the days I could not walk on my feet or hold anything. Then the rash turned into what looked like giant thick callouses that are peeling off in giant, plastic bottle thick, huge patches. I fully expect that my nails will fall out next since there was so much pressure under them. Stay hydrated and see a doctor to rule out other things. Good luck.

Comment from: Andy, Male (Patient) Published: October 14

I caught hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD) from my 7 month old boy who had it last week. The doctors said he had a virus which caused his eczema to flare up all over his body. Then I had fever just like him over Friday night. By Saturday morning it had gone but I started to get little red blisters on finger plus I got a little eczema on face which had instantly flared up all over face and was itchy and sore. Now the blisters itch loads especially in between toes and I have one under toenail which throbs. It is Sunday night and I can't sleep. I can't wait for this to end.

Comment from: saxylizard, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 06

I contracted hand, foot, and mouth disease HFMD in January of 2015 from a coworker (who got it from her kid) and am still dealing with the side effects. Two fingernails and one toe nail (that I've found thus far) are falling off having separated from the nail bed. It started falling off in March and it's now May! This disease just keeps on going.

Comment from: Denisep, Female (Patient) Published: January 13

My bout with hand, foot and mouth (HFM) disease started with a very sore throat that lasted 3 days. On the second day I had a few red spots on the palm of hand. I got spots on both hands and both sides, ear lobes, around my mouth and in my mouth, palate and tongue. I have had shingles before and this was worse. The pain, itching and swelling was extreme. I felt like I'd lose my mind. Today is day 7, and I still have spots and swelling. My finger tips are so swollen they are overlapping my nails. I think they will peel. The tips are so swollen I can't use my smartphone!

Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease - Treatments Question: What treatment did you receive for hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD)?
Hand Foot and Mouth Disease - Causes Question: What caused your hand, foot, and mouth disease?