Patient Comments: Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease - Symptoms and Signs

What were the symptoms and signs of your hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD)?

Comment from: Judy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 11

My 20-month old son got hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD) first, but only mildly. I got it much, much worse. I only saw a few others with symptoms like mine (blisters in mouth only) so I thought I'd share, hope it's helpful. I am a 33 year old woman. My son was fussy for several days, with on-and-off very low grade fever. I thought he was teething or maybe he was fighting off a virus. He didn't want to eat or drink and my nanny noticed his gums were red and sore. Then I saw a small red bump on his lower lip and instantly realized it was HFMD. But by that point his fever was gone and he didn't seem bothered by any other symptoms. He seemed happy and over it. But then I got sick. It started with sore throat and vaguely not feeling well, then two days later a fever, body aches, and lethargy. Starting day 3 I had sores in my mouth, so bad I couldn't eat. It was excruciating. All my gums were swollen, my tongue had a yellow coat over it, and I had blisters on my tongue and the roof of my mouth. Drinking even water was painful. I tried everything I knew to stave off the illness; vitamins, herbs, rest, but it still came on strong. And the mouth blisters were really bad for five entire days. I am now on the 10th day of the illness and I am starting to feel better. I can finally eat a little and have a bit more energy, but am still lethargic. I was thankful to not have the blisters spread to my hands or feet but not being able to eat was tough too. Glad to be on the tail end of this, glad my son only got it mildly, and glad my husband seems to have steered clear of it altogether. I stayed home from work for five days.

Comment from: Cegiff, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 20

My 19 year old daughter got hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD) while at college. Very healthy girl with no direct contact with children. This has been miserable. She started with sores on her mouth. Initially she was treated for staph infection but when the fever hit on day 2 we took her to the pediatrician. The doctor immediately diagnosed her with HFMD. She had a fever for 5 days averaging 102.5 F. The sores on her mouth turned to ulcers or lesions and spread to her cheeks and nose. She had no internal mouth sores but did have a sore throat, joint pain and overall body ache. Also no sores or rash on hands and feet. This has been absolutely miserable for her. The fever is over and most sores are now open wounds seeping and bloody in appearance. Her face is in pain and she still has a headache on day 8. We have been using Redmond clay for wound healing and that seems to help. According to the pediatrician's office some of the new strains of HFMD are on the face only. Hoping this ends soon and that a vaccine is found to prevent this.

Comment from: Michel, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 29

I am 39 years old. My wife got hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD) in October and so did I about 2 weeks later. She had it worse than me, with blisters around mouth, fingers and feet and only little bit sore throat. When I got it, I got headache and high fever (39 Celsius/102.2 F) but as I see the fever as a help against the virus I did not take any drugs to put it down but took cold showers every 30 to 60 minutes. Headache was terrible though! This was for about 2 days, then I started to get this tickling in the fingers and feet, very annoying. Next day the red blisters started on my feet, only very few on the hands, nothing on face, and no sore throat at all. Itching was only a little. There was a little pain while walking but skin on feet felt very dry/tight. About 1 week later I felt better, but I am not sure if it is exactly since this disease but I have been feeling very tired for 4 months already! Now on my vacation (4 months after this disease) and I have again blisters on my feet that look exactly the same, I got the itching and little pain too and my hands and feet also feel a little bit dry/tight. I am not sure if it is a new virus (there are several) and by really bad luck I got another form or if it is a relapse! But it is getting really frustrating with HFMD!

Comment from: DC_Lotus, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

Oh my goodness, what is this hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD)! My progression was as follows. Saturday morning, the fever started. We were in the middle of a blizzard in the DC area, and the entire region was crippled. By the time Sunday morning rolled around, the fever spiked to 103, and eventually received a terrifying reading of 105.5! I managed to get the fever to break, and as I was headed to the emergency room (ER) at around 7 pm on Sunday, the sore throat hit. I've had strep many times. But this was worse. It felt like strep's older, meaner step sister. I couldn't eat, and strep never did that. It burned constantly and felt like swallowing hot coals. The ER gave me Vicodin and an antibiotic, thinking a bad case of strep. Strep test ended up being negative. That night, into Monday morning, the awful blisters started. At first, they itched, I thought it was a reaction to the penicillin-based medicine. The doctor took one look at the blisters, and told me I had HFMD. She said only a few things in medicine cause that type of blistering, and due to my other symptoms, there it was. I spent the next few days in torment with this terrible virus. My hands itched so bad that the only way I could sleep was to super-dose myself with antihistamines, slather myself with Eucerin, and wear gloves over my hands. The feet didn't start until Wednesday, and now I have blisters between my toes. But mercifully, it is now Friday and my hands no longer itch. I await the skin/nail peeling with pride. This was war. That kind of looks like herpes.

Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease - Treatments Question: What treatment did you receive for hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD)?
Hand Foot and Mouth Disease - Causes Question: What caused your hand, foot, and mouth disease?