Patient Comments: Hand Foot and Mouth Disease - Causes

What caused your hand, foot, and mouth disease?

Comment from: SoKatiiee, (Patient) Published: June 06

I got hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD) from my little brother who got it from a kid from high school. This is day 2 of the disease for me and I'm hoping it gets over now. It is the worst feeling in the world. Yesterday I was fatigued and ran a fever of 101.9 before taking some flu medicine and going to bed. This morning I woke up to a blister where a pimple that I had popped days ago was, and itchiness everywhere including my head, hands, and feet. I also have developed a pimple like bump on the outside of both nostrils that are making my nose run. Only thing for me is that I only have one visible bump/blister like thing that is on my left ring finger where a ring would be placed. Hopefully I will not be seeing those ugly things, however I am not holding my breath! As for my brothers that both had it, the middle child that got it from my youngest brother had bumps all over his body, sore throat, sores on his nose and pain in both his feet and hands. The one that contracted the disease also had bumps all over his hands and feet, blisters on his hands, thorn like pain in his hands and a sore throat.

Comment from: hithere, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 20

My sister had an extremely bad cough and was diagnosed with bronchitis last week. This week her grandson has a fever of unknown origin, pink eye and possibly Coxsackie virus (hand, foot, and mouth disease). I wonder if she could have infected the 5 year old.

Comment from: Mary Camp, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 02

I was diagnosed at Urgent Care with hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD). I have no rashes, my symptoms are an extremely painful sore throat and headache. I have white at the back of my throat, and it is very difficult to eat or swallow. I was prescribed Magic mouthwash which has not helped. Doctors need to prescribe pain pills for this disease. My doctor said the Magic mouthwash would help with pain and it does not and over the counter pain medicines do little to help. I have never experienced such pain in my throat. It is so sad doctors don't seem to care if you suffer when they can help by prescribing a few pills.

Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease - Symptoms and Signs Question: What were the symptoms and signs of your hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD)?
Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease - Treatments Question: What treatment did you receive for hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD)?