Patient Comments: Hamstring Injury - Cause

What was the cause of your hamstring injury?

Comment from: Mrs B., 75 or over Female Published: October 27

I am going through chemotherapy and I just noticed my ring finger turning red first on the side and spreading up to the middle and sore to touch. I soaked it with equal parts of white vinegar and water and I scraped banana peel and applied around it with the use of Band-Aid. Now it is starting to dry and I have less pain. I went to show it to my doctor the following day and he advised me to put triple antibiotic if my paronychia got worse. He asked me what I put, and I said I tried to use my emergency home remedy and it helps.

Comment from: bob, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 12

I'm 71. I was sprinting about 300 yards to try to catch a train and the area around my hamstrings gave out. I take blood thinners. The area above my knees in the back is deep purple. I can walk but there is some pain. It's been about ten days now.

Comment from: Lydia, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

While herding cows and 4 wheeler tipped, my left foot caught under gear and the right foot was extended. My shirt caught on the throttle, and result was pulled left hamstring.

Comment from: MichelleH, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

The hamstring injury happened in winter. I stepped over a pile of frozen snow onto what I thought was bare concrete. It was actually black ice. I fell and hit my hamstring on the frozen snow. I had horrible pain, and was unable to stand. They told me at the clinic that it was a bruised hamstring. I turned black and blue from buttocks down. I was unable to sit in chair, muscle spasms, and walked with limp. I insisted on seeing an orthopedic who sent me for an MRI. I had a stage 3 tear and had to have surgery to repair it.

Comment from: craig, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 03

I was doing intermittent running, i.e., stopping and starting on uneven ground when I got my hamstring injury. I am not very fit as I lead a very sedentary life. As I stepped forward I heard a 'pop' noise and a twinge on the back of my leg directly behind the knee. I stopped and limped off the field.

Comment from: bo, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 12

I raised my leg and upon full extension of my leg, I pulled my hamstring. The hamstring felt horrible and hurt so bad.

Comment from: Soulrunner, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I felt a pop just below my left buttock and at the top of my thigh at the back while doing deep squats. No pain immediately after the hamstring injury and it only felt sore in the area as the day wore on.

Comment from: Millie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

I am not an athletic person. I entered my house, took my boots off. In socks I took a step forward with my right foot ending in doing a perfect cheerleader split as flat as my legs would go. My left leg was behind me. I had no control and the pain in my upper, posterior thigh was unbearable. All I could do is moan and cry for maybe 20 minutes. I ended up in emergency room for hamstring injury. That was 5 days ago. I am still in severe pain, the massive dark purple bruise runs from my buttock to below my knee. The buttock, whole leg down to foot is swollen.

Hamstring Injury - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and/or signs were associated with your hamstring injury?
Hamstring Injury - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including therapy, did you receive for your hamstring injury?
Hamstring Injury - Prevention and Exercise Question: What types of exercise have you been prescribed to prevent another hamstring injury?