Patient Comments: Hamstring Injury - Cause

What was the cause of your hamstring injury?

Comment from: Lydia, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

While herding cows and 4 wheeler tipped, my left foot caught under gear and the right foot was extended. My shirt caught on the throttle, and result was pulled left hamstring.

Comment from: MichelleH, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

The hamstring injury happened in winter. I stepped over a pile of frozen snow onto what I thought was bare concrete. It was actually black ice. I fell and hit my hamstring on the frozen snow. I had horrible pain, and was unable to stand. They told me at the clinic that it was a bruised hamstring. I turned black and blue from buttocks down. I was unable to sit in chair, muscle spasms, and walked with limp. I insisted on seeing an orthopedic who sent me for an MRI. I had a stage 3 tear and had to have surgery to repair it.

Comment from: craig, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 03

I was doing intermittent running, i.e., stopping and starting on uneven ground when I got my hamstring injury. I am not very fit as I lead a very sedentary life. As I stepped forward I heard a 'pop' noise and a twinge on the back of my leg directly behind the knee. I stopped and limped off the field.

Comment from: Soulrunner, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I felt a pop just below my left buttock and at the top of my thigh at the back while doing deep squats. No pain immediately after the hamstring injury and it only felt sore in the area as the day wore on.

Comment from: Millie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

I am not an athletic person. I entered my house, took my boots off. In socks I took a step forward with my right foot ending in doing a perfect cheerleader split as flat as my legs would go. My left leg was behind me. I had no control and the pain in my upper, posterior thigh was unbearable. All I could do is moan and cry for maybe 20 minutes. I ended up in emergency room for hamstring injury. That was 5 days ago. I am still in severe pain, the massive dark purple bruise runs from my buttock to below my knee. The buttock, whole leg down to foot is swollen.

Comment from: Fi0na, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

Like a few others here, a slippery surface led me to slide into the splits inadvertently. I think the pain and swelling after (and having to drive 2 hours in a manual car) was the worst agony I have ever experienced, including ACL, childbirth and hip replacement. So glad to see I am not alone.

Comment from: horseoats, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

I was injured in my hamstring while making a quick run from an active bee nest. I don't recall the actual reason for the fall, whether it was a trip on something or not, but next thing I knew I was flat out on the ground in extreme pain. My knee was bent and I could not straighten it. I was in extreme pain and was non-weight bearing.

Comment from: Kathy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 03

My hamstring injury was cause exiting a kayak as a large wave hit. One leg was on land, and the other still in the kayak and was being pulled forcefully into an unnatural splits position.

Comment from: zeyneczar, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 22

I just injured my hamstring-gluteal muscle when my Siberian husky got loose from his leash and I chased him and stepped on his leash to stop him. I felt the pain immediately and it is painful to walk and sit. I can bend my knee and cross my knee, but sitting in a certain position causes pain. I am icing it, resting and taking Aleve.

Hamstring Injury - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and/or signs were associated with your hamstring injury?
Hamstring Injury - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including therapy, did you receive for your hamstring injury?
Hamstring Injury - Prevention and Exercise Question: What types of exercise have you been prescribed to prevent another hamstring injury?