Patient Comments: Hamstring Injury - Cause

What was the cause of your hamstring injury?

Comment from: Ace, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 17

Playing hockey, carrying the puck, I “hit the brakes" to avoid a check, and yikes, tightened muscles at the back of braking leg. It hurt for rest of the game, still sore today, but plan to play tomorrow and rest of the month, will have the summer to rehab if necessary.

Comment from: Matt, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: October 22

I was 19 years old, I was rounding third base in a full out sprint. As I stepped on the base, I felt a horrible pain, and I was face planted in the ground holding my hamstring. For the first time in my life I didn't even think about getting back to the base. I couldn't stand, I couldn't move, I couldn't bend it and finally crawled off the field. I still had to drive my 5-speed home and it was my clutch leg too. I developed a nasty, yellow, green, black and blue bruise across the back of my thigh of course, which lasted for almost two months. I took 9 months to rehab and heal before pushing it. For a couple years after, I had problems with slight pulls, but 6 or 7 years later now, I've learned to stretch it correctly and now I just have pictures of the nasty bruise to remember it.

Comment from: Angus, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

My hamstring injury was caused by kite surfing. When landing my foot slipped resulting in doing a split. I now have a huge bruise around my calf and testicles. I find it painful, more so when standing, and I am walking slowly with a limp.

Comment from: KJ, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I was in a deep squat lifting a piece of furniture. When I went to stand, I felt a pop in my glutes.

Comment from: sleepdoc, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I stepped into a puddle of floor polish on a polished marble floor in a mall. My leg went straight forward into the splits. The doctor at the hospital treated it as nothing but a strain, but I had to be carried to my hotel room. I haven't iced it as much as I should. I am less than 1 week out. I can hobble along, but still in lots of pain. I will see my doctor this week.

Comment from: paul, 35-44 (Patient) Published: February 26

I hurt my hamstring bouldering, while attempting a heel hook.

Comment from: Bill, 45-54 Male Published: December 27

Walking to the front of a moving bus, my leg zigged when I thought it would zag and I fell, butt first on the sharp corner of a seat arm rest. Was training for a marathon and took a week off. That seemed to do the trick although there was a hint of occasional pain especially running downhill. During the marathon I had a terrible groin pain. It subsided and I soldiered on. I went to the doc the next day who then set me up with an MRI. It came back saying I had a separated tendon on my medial hamstring at the hip (point of impact of my fall earlier). The groin was causing me the most pain but the tendon seemed to be the most serious. Sports medicine did not require surgery to my surprise and relief. The groin was improving but suddenly the pain at the hamstring tendon reappeared 10 months later. Am I stuck with this? Doc said that without surgery it would reattach to a neighboring tendon.

Comment from: Nasser, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: May 17

About 5 days ago, I was playing soccer at school, when suddenly I felt a very slight amount of pain in my right hamstring, since it wasn't severe I decided to continue playing the game, I had the ball at my feet and went for a sprint and during that sprint the muscle suddenly started to hurt, but I stopped immediately before it got any worse. It didn't really hurt badly at the beginning, and it currently doesn't hurt when walking or swimming, but whenever I start to sprint I feel pain on the hamstring. So I was just wondering about the required treatment, and how long would it take.

Hamstring Injury - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience associated your hamstring injury?
Hamstring Injury - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including therapy, did you receive for your hamstring injury?
Hamstring Injury - Prevention and Exercise Question: Are you prone to hamstring injuries? What types of exercise have you been prescribed to a prevent another injury?