Patient Comments: Hamstring Injury - Cause

What was the cause of your hamstring injury?

Comment from: Pete, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 18

I slipped on ice with my left foot. My left leg skidded forward and my right leg went behind me. I fell back onto my right leg and felt a terrific strain on my hamstrings then a sudden shock. The pain was very severe and I couldn't move my leg at all or even sit. I was also on warfarin since I had atrial fibrillation. It took 3.5 hours for an ambulance to arrive in wet and cold conditions, and my core temperature dropped severely. Turns out I had torn my hamstring at the buttocks and in the middle, and also my calf muscle. I lost a large amount of blood internally and needed 3 pints transfusion. MRI showed a large hematoma running down my femur that will take a year to be absorbed. After 5 weeks I can just about walk with one crutch, but it will take several weeks before I can walk normally. The initial pain was horrendous, and even now it is sore to walk and I feel very weak when I try to walk unaided. Main pain after 5 weeks is at joint of thigh and buttocks and in the middle of my calf. I have always been active, playing football and rugby, and also middle distance runner from 12 till until aged around 45.

Comment from: Big Dennis, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

I have had atrial fibrillation for over 3 years. I tried living with it, but I started getting depressed and feeling more run down every month. Four cardioversions did not help. I finally had an ablation on 12/23/2015. So far it is working, but it is too soon to say how successful it is. My heart is in rhythm and I feel better every day.

Comment from: norovirus, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 15

The stomach flu hit me around 3.30 pm on a Friday, and now on Monday I can finally eat some crackers and drinking Gatorade. The stomach cramps the first two days were unreal, never have I felt pain like that and I have a decent threshold for pain. Now on day 4 the cramps are minor and my belly is a little sore. I had diarrhea for the entire time but never crazy out of control. Now I'm noticing it is a dark green color which says that the bacteria is finally making its way out. Good luck to anyone that gets this as I wouldn't wish it on anyone!

Comment from: shahid, Published: December 10

I am a retired soldier who was exposed to a lot of firing of small as well as heavy weapons without any ear protection kit. For the last couple of years there is a ringing noise especially at nights when it is calm outside. Recently my sleep is quite disturbed although I have been regularly taking Ativan table 1 mg every night for last couple of years. When the effect of this tablet decreases I start dreaming quite bad and do not feel fresh when I wake up. I need an expert opinion how to cope up. All my life I have been suffering from allergic rhinitis and keep using nasal sprays for post nasal drip.

Comment from: Mrs B., 75 or over Female Published: October 27

I am going through chemotherapy and I just noticed my ring finger turning red first on the side and spreading up to the middle and sore to touch. I soaked it with equal parts of white vinegar and water and I scraped banana peel and applied around it with the use of Band-Aid. Now it is starting to dry and I have less pain. I went to show it to my doctor the following day and he advised me to put triple antibiotic if my paronychia got worse. He asked me what I put, and I said I tried to use my emergency home remedy and it helps.

Comment from: bonamar, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

My rheumatic fever (RF) was never diagnosed, not enough symptoms. Later I had secondary thrombosis after taking the early birth control pill for about 3 months. I was then told I had RF and all my veins were varicose.

Hamstring Injury - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and/or signs were associated with your hamstring injury?
Hamstring Injury - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including therapy, did you receive for your hamstring injury?
Hamstring Injury - Prevention and Exercise Question: What types of exercise have you been prescribed to prevent another hamstring injury?