Patient Comments: Hamstring Injury - Cause

What was the cause of your hamstring injury?

Comment from: flowers, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 03

During my youngest daughter's Field Day, there was the "opportunity" to race the other moms. We took off and others were pulling ahead. So I gave a quick burst and felt what seemed like a rubberband pop on the bottom of my left buttocks (my hamstring). I thought, "keep going". I made 1/2 a stride more and down I went. Going down, I knew I wasn't walking off the field.

Comment from: Dianne, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

We were playing our second set in tennis on an early morning in Barbados. Very hot day, little or no wind. My partner hit a drop shot and me at 54 years old ran like a demon to save the point. I got there and just as I was about to return the shot, I felt my right leg give out and I had absolutely no strength and dove and skidded into the astro turf. My left leg is all scabbed as is my elbow and my right hamstring is definitely strained. I am on day four and feeling a little better with each day. Watch out for hot days and tennis---no matter what time of the day!!!!!!!

Comment from: Daisy, Published: June 01

Total knee replacement surgery led to swelling and exercise to reduce swelling. The Ham String is sore and when I stretch the leg, I feel a pop and stress on the back of the knee.

Comment from: faye, 55-64 (Patient) Published: May 26

A 5 k race in a cold day almost 3 months ago. I never quit exercising and it took me a long time to get back to slow jogging and I still feel the pain in my right hamstring.

Comment from: dg2b, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 25

I was doing squats with a barbell and lost my footing, so I quickly tried to re-rack the bar, and in the process pulled my hamstring. I had only warmed up for 5 minutes instead of my usual 15, so I guess everything was still a bit tight. Luckily, it seems like it is only a Grade I strain since there has been no bruising yet.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 23

I was playing softball and did not stretch before playing. Was batting and got a hit. When I ran to first I felt a pain in both legs and knew that I had pulled my hamstrings. Right leg is much worse than the left one. Luckily it has not turned black and blue.

Comment from: Granny, 55-64 (Caregiver) Published: May 11

I almost collapse with the pain in back of my thigh about 7 year ago. Because I am an older female, I underwent nerve testing and blood testing. Until recently was diagnosed with pulled hamstring, severe on the left and mild to severe on the right. I have to stretch a lot before walking or doing the elliptical. But it does feel better afterwards. It hurts more when I do not exercise! Anyway I am so relieved it was not related to my back, pinched nerves, or worse.

Comment from: ianfm, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 26

I got my hamstring injur while sprinting during a football match. Getting up to full speed and felt sharp pain at the back of my left leg. I could not walk and had to be supported off the field.

Comment from: SSkinner, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 15

70 year old woman slipped in wet grass and basically did a split that would have made a cheerleader proud. Hamstring now black blue and purple. Knee ligaments also hurt like crazy. Just when life was going great, can change in a SPLIT-second (pardon the pun).

Hamstring Injury - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and/or signs were associated with your hamstring injury?
Hamstring Injury - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including therapy, did you receive for your hamstring injury?
Hamstring Injury - Prevention and Exercise Question: What types of exercise have you been prescribed to prevent another hamstring injury?