Patient Comments: Hamstring Injury - Cause

What was the cause of your hamstring injury?

Comment from: MoonClub, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 21

My hamstring injury hurts whenever I am sitting down and pressure is on the upper part of the leg. It also hurts the right side of my back and the right knee. My injury occurred when I fell.

Comment from: George, 55-64 Male Published: August 09

A week ago I had just spent some time in a cold swimming tank and accepted a football challenge from my grandson. I was just about to score the winning goal when dodging left I felt a pain hit me in the right butt. The pain has now moved down my leg to back of knee, but at least I can hobble about. No more football and no half marathon.

Comment from: AlleyCat, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 27

I was climbing stairs for additional exercise without any type of stretching when my hamstring was injured.

Comment from: luckyboy555, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 22

I got my hamstring injury from playing tennis. I was running backwards to hit a ball when I tripped.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 20

I got my hamstring injury as I was backing down a hill on my 700 pound motorcycle. When I turned the bike began to lean to the left. I put my left leg down to hold it and I heard a loud pop and extreme pain. The bike and I fell to the ground with the bike on top of me. Took me some time to get the bike off of me and literally crawl to lay down on the grass.

Comment from: soccerplayer, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: July 13

I was playing soccer when it happened. I didn't stretch well enough or maybe at all. Ten minutes into the game I did a sprint as soon as I started my hamstring felt super tight and it just popped and I fell to the ground. I had to be carried out of the field. A month later, I went back to play...Five minutes into the game I popped my hamstring again and its been almost four moths and it hasn't gotten any better since.

Comment from: Cube, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 12

I was trying to get up on a slalom water ski when I pulled my hamstring. I am left foot forward and that was the leg that was injured. This is the second time that this leg has been injured attempting to get up on a slalom ski. Hard for me to admit that I may be done water skiing.

Comment from: 1570, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

Playing baseball, didn't do much stretching, and tagged up on a fly ball but turned awkwardly. It hurt for a couple of days but then seemed fine so I played again the following week and injured it worse. It's been three weeks and I still have trouble when I first get up to walk.

Comment from: myo, 35-44 Male Published: June 30

I'm a bodybuilder and I was doing leg extension and leg curls back to back to warm up for squats. On 3rd set of warm up I heard a pop under right glute, I was supposed to do 4 sets. So I stopped and went to squat from 135lbs to 495 lbs no problem. Today the injured area is extremely stiff and sore, no bruise. I've been icing and plan to lay off leg workouts for 6 weeks.

Comment from: stupid, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

I am 45 and was trying to show my 15 year old that I can still do a cartwheel... bad idea. I knew as soon as I started it would end bad. Everyone around me heard a huge pop and that was it.

Hamstring Injury - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and/or signs were associated with your hamstring injury?
Hamstring Injury - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including therapy, did you receive for your hamstring injury?
Hamstring Injury - Prevention and Exercise Question: What types of exercise have you been prescribed to prevent another hamstring injury?