Patient Comments: Hamstring Injury - Cause

What was the cause of your hamstring injury?

Comment from: Granny, 55-64 (Caregiver) Published: May 11

I almost collapse with the pain in back of my thigh about 7 year ago. Because I am an older female, I underwent nerve testing and blood testing. Until recently was diagnosed with pulled hamstring, severe on the left and mild to severe on the right. I have to stretch a lot before walking or doing the elliptical. But it does feel better afterwards. It hurts more when I do not exercise! Anyway I am so relieved it was not related to my back, pinched nerves, or worse.

Comment from: ianfm, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 26

I got my hamstring injur while sprinting during a football match. Getting up to full speed and felt sharp pain at the back of my left leg. I could not walk and had to be supported off the field.

Comment from: SSkinner, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 15

70 year old woman slipped in wet grass and basically did a split that would have made a cheerleader proud. Hamstring now black blue and purple. Knee ligaments also hurt like crazy. Just when life was going great, can change in a SPLIT-second (pardon the pun).

Comment from: gerry, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 15

I was playing pickle ball, ran up for a short shot when something dramatic happened. Suddenly I was on the floor is terrible pain from my butt down to the back of my knee and simply could not move. Hamstring tear! More painful and disabling than I ever imagined. Only 3 days into this. Sometimes pain free, sometimes excruciating pain with certain unpredictable movement.

Comment from: Middle aged, 35-44 Male Published: February 28

Playing football in cold weather. I evidently did not stretch enough prior to playing. It occurred when pushing off and leaping from left leg.

Comment from: Joe, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 14

I'm an older fella who needs to lose a few pounds. Nevertheless I still engage in my favorite pastime -- Softball. After a nice triple and then a trot home to score, I grounded out next. On my third at bat I singled to left. On my way to first I felt a little twang on my left hammy. I am thankful it was a "little" twang. It was not a pop, was not a tear, but enough of a yellow flag to pull up. I'm using icy hot and an ace wrap while still continuing to walk.

Comment from: Not your Granny, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I was halfway through a 40 yard sprint when I found myself face down on the track. My gym workouts superset strength exercises with cardio. I was warmed up and running great. I felt no tear, heard no pop, just running one second and on my belly the next. I hit both knees, elbows, and my nose. Went home for an epsom salt jetted tub soak then worked a half day. Pain was unbearable so went back home and took a muscle relaxer and a pain pill and off to sleep with a heating pad set to cycle on and off every 15 minutes. The next day was much better but I know this is going to be a very long process to get back to full force. Deadlifting and squatting will probably be at 1/4 weight for a while. Oh well, I'm in it for the long haul!

Comment from: John P., 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: March 12

I'm a forward for a soccer club, and I pulled my hamstring when sprinting. I felt a snap in the back of my leg and couldn't even walk. Never in my life had I got hurt. It has been about three months that have passed and the pain is still very serious.

Comment from: Farm lady in Texas, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

I fell backward from a stack of baled hay, but one leg was lodged and stayed as I fell. There was a pop and immediate pain from under my buttock, down my thigh, to the back of my knee. I will be seeing a doctor shortly.

Hamstring Injury - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience associated your hamstring injury?
Hamstring Injury - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including therapy, did you receive for your hamstring injury?
Hamstring Injury - Prevention and Exercise Question: What types of exercise have you been prescribed to a prevent another injury?