Patient Comments: Hamstring Injury - Cause

What was the cause of your hamstring injury?

Comment from: soccerplayer, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: July 13

I was playing soccer when it happened. I didn't stretch well enough or maybe at all. Ten minutes into the game I did a sprint as soon as I started my hamstring felt super tight and it just popped and I fell to the ground. I had to be carried out of the field. A month later, I went back to play...Five minutes into the game I popped my hamstring again and its been almost four moths and it hasn't gotten any better since.

Comment from: Cube, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 12

I was trying to get up on a slalom water ski when I pulled my hamstring. I am left foot forward and that was the leg that was injured. This is the second time that this leg has been injured attempting to get up on a slalom ski. Hard for me to admit that I may be done water skiing.

Comment from: 1570, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

Playing baseball, didn't do much stretching, and tagged up on a fly ball but turned awkwardly. It hurt for a couple of days but then seemed fine so I played again the following week and injured it worse. It's been three weeks and I still have trouble when I first get up to walk.

Comment from: myo, 35-44 Male Published: June 30

I'm a bodybuilder and I was doing leg extension and leg curls back to back to warm up for squats. On 3rd set of warm up I heard a pop under right glute, I was supposed to do 4 sets. So I stopped and went to squat from 135lbs to 495 lbs no problem. Today the injured area is extremely stiff and sore, no bruise. I've been icing and plan to lay off leg workouts for 6 weeks.

Comment from: stupid, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

I am 45 and was trying to show my 15 year old that I can still do a cartwheel... bad idea. I knew as soon as I started it would end bad. Everyone around me heard a huge pop and that was it.

Comment from: flowers, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 03

During my youngest daughter's Field Day, there was the "opportunity" to race the other moms. We took off and others were pulling ahead. So I gave a quick burst and felt what seemed like a rubberband pop on the bottom of my left buttocks (my hamstring). I thought, "keep going". I made 1/2 a stride more and down I went. Going down, I knew I wasn't walking off the field.

Comment from: Dianne, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

We were playing our second set in tennis on an early morning in Barbados. Very hot day, little or no wind. My partner hit a drop shot and me at 54 years old ran like a demon to save the point. I got there and just as I was about to return the shot, I felt my right leg give out and I had absolutely no strength and dove and skidded into the astro turf. My left leg is all scabbed as is my elbow and my right hamstring is definitely strained. I am on day four and feeling a little better with each day. Watch out for hot days and tennis---no matter what time of the day!!!!!!!

Comment from: Daisy, Published: June 01

Total knee replacement surgery led to swelling and exercise to reduce swelling. The Ham String is sore and when I stretch the leg, I feel a pop and stress on the back of the knee.

Comment from: faye, 55-64 (Patient) Published: May 26

A 5 k race in a cold day almost 3 months ago. I never quit exercising and it took me a long time to get back to slow jogging and I still feel the pain in my right hamstring.

Hamstring Injury - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and/or signs were associated with your hamstring injury?
Hamstring Injury - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including therapy, did you receive for your hamstring injury?
Hamstring Injury - Prevention and Exercise Question: What types of exercise have you been prescribed to prevent another hamstring injury?