Patient Comments: Hamstring Injury - Cause

What was the cause of your hamstring injury?

Comment from: albert, 45-54 Male Published: April 05

A girl bet me I couldn't pick up a shot glass from the floor with my mouth without bending my knees. (I wasn't drinking.) Having done lots of yoga this would normally be very simple. Wide stance, shot glass on floor between feet. I bent down too abruptly with no warm up and felt what I'm assuming was a major rip. Now I'm all black and blue. I have an MRI next week. What an idiot.

Comment from: maggiejeen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 01

I fell on the ice while shoveling snow. My big snow boot got caught behind the other one and down I went. I felt a pop and couldn't believe the pain in my leg. It radiated from the hip and tailbone right down to my heel. It took me a few minutes to catch my breath and a few more to get up. It's a grade 3 hamstring pull. Ouch! I'm still recovering.

Comment from: Rhode Island Red, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

It was winter. The office parking lot was frozen with ice. At lunch, I carefully walked to my car. When I tried to open the car door, it jerked because it was frozen. My feet went flying out from under me, and my right buttock side landed on the door frame of the car. It was so painful I thought I broke something. I was fine the next day, but a month later ended up in severe pain, radiating down the outside of my leg, my quad area, and right buttock. Diagnosis: injured hamstring. I have been seeing a PT guy for 2.5 years.

Comment from: Will B, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 21

I was stooping and picking up my 85 lb 14 year old yellow lab to put her into the back of my jeep. She squirmed and put me on my toes in a squat, and I felt a hard snap at the top of my thigh. Pain was intense, and bending or twisting at the waist is still very painful after Advil and Tylenol on advise of the doctor. Icing the thigh. I am a runner, but have always had problems with very tight hamstrings.

Comment from: diane, Female Published: November 16

I started running again after a 6 month break. I never warm up and after the 2nd run the problems started. The following day I had pain and stiffness in my buttock and then the following day in went into the muscle at the back of my leg. I can still feel it 4 days later and wondering if it is a hamstring injury or a tear.

Comment from: Cecil B., 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

My symptoms feel exactly like "Moonclub" - with under thigh hurting while sitting and driving a car. Sometimes the pain goes behind my left knee and occasionally below - in calf area. Sometimes in my lower butt on left side. I don't know how I injured myself but it has gone on for over 3 months. Sometimes, not much pain at all; sometimes it gets severe.

Comment from: twilight35, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 01

My daughter was in dance/drill team practice; she had warmed up her muscles, but went to do some further stretching in order to practice her splits. She went to do a runner's lunge and felt and heard a pop. ER said strain to her hamstring. See her regular doctor on Monday and will ask for a sports medicine referral if needed.

Comment from: alicia1cheer, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: October 04

I'm a cheerleader and last winter I pulled/tore my hamstring doing my left splits, then this fall I was doing right splits and it popped and I don't know if I just pulled it or have a slight tear, So now I have a hamstring injury in both legs and I don't have time to rest it because my sport is all year.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 04

I was playing soccer and accelerated hard to intercept a player making a shot on goal and pulled up when my right leg's hamstring cramped up. To be honest, despite regular racquetball matches, I was out-of-shape for soccer and wasn't doing regular stretching nor weight training exercises.

Hamstring Injury - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and/or signs were associated with your hamstring injury?
Hamstring Injury - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including therapy, did you receive for your hamstring injury?
Hamstring Injury - Prevention and Exercise Question: What types of exercise have you been prescribed to prevent another hamstring injury?