Patient Comments: Hamstring Injury - Cause

What was the cause of your hamstring injury?

Comment from: Connie, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 27

I was quickly trotting up the stairs with a glass bottle in my left hand and my flip flop on my right foot hit the stair which was sending me flat onto my face. My immediate reaction was not to land on my face and grabbed the railing with my right hand and that's when I felt my right hamstring go pop! It was so painful I screamed and wasn't even sure if I could get myself up. I never did land on my knees but caught myself dangling. The pain was instant from under my right butt straight down to my ankle! When I sit I feel like I sat on a sock or something but there's a slight bulge there. Very difficult to go from sitting to standing. I've been icing it and heat for relief. I have a feeling I'm in for a long recuperation period.

Comment from: Jill, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

Was sprinting for a fly ball and gave a short burst to get to it. Felt a snap in my right hamstring area and fell hard. Had immediate sensation of pain and couldn't walk off the field. Went to ER because of the intense pain and spasms. Grade II injury with bruising from upper area of hamstring to below the knee. very painful for days. It is now 11 weeks post-injury and I can still feel tightness when I walk. Cannot run yet. Have been faithfully stretching and do elliptical workouts but I feel like this is going to be a long road of recovery.

Comment from: krish, 55-64 Male Published: November 08

During my regular morning stretching exercise (which I do after about 45 minutes of brisk walking) of keeping feet wide apart and bending down forward and touching the right foot with left hand and vice versa alternatively, I felt a sudden jerking internal sound at the back of my right thigh. I immediately stopped my exercise. I have a continuous slight pain in that area. Now when I try the exercise of touching my right foot with my left hand with stretched right leg, i find it difficult to do, as the pain increases. i think it is a I order hamstring injury.

Comment from: Claire, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

Horseplay, I was picked up and thrown onto a bed and my legs went up over my head when I landed. Felt it immediately severe pain. My right leg didn't work for months. I felt pain from my butt all the way down to my ankle. I couldn't sit without my leg feeling dead. I held the back of my leg and butt when I walked, sat, drove in the car. Stretching was painful. But, I had to keep moving or it felt dead & painful. I've always been very athletic and I know you're supposed to work through the pain. It's been about 11 months and I'm finally getting full range of stretching. Still fill the tenderness when I walk on an incline, jog and stretch. I thought it would never get better and I would feel this pain forever. Patience and taking it slow worked for me. You have got to work through it.

Comment from: Tweety bird, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 01

I fell backwards on my hand with all my weight. The doctor says I was lucky I didn't shatter it! But I don't know which bone it is, so I am wondering which one is fractured.

Comment from: paul, 35-44 (Patient) Published: February 26

I hurt my hamstring bouldering, while attempting a heel hook.

Comment from: eddiebmartinez, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 01

I slipped on water in the kitchen. My left leg went forward and my right let when backward. I did a split and then fell to my left side to the floor. The pain was so bad I could not move for about 10 minutes. It has been 2 months and I am still in pain. All along the back of my left leg and now after all this time, the front of my left leg is starting to hurt (not sure why) Just wish to be back to my old self.

Comment from: ironlady, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 26

I was playing golf and walking on the course and suddenly I felt pain in the right-rear upper leg. Two days later, I was again on the golf course and walking up a hill when I felt an intense pain/pop in that area. When I bent down to get the ball out of the hole, I was hit with extreme pain again. I finished the round, took painkillers, and a week later went to the ortho doctor who diagnosed it. I'm using NSAIDs, 200 mg daily, and exercising by stretching

Hamstring Injury - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and/or signs were associated with your hamstring injury?
Hamstring Injury - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including therapy, did you receive for your hamstring injury?
Hamstring Injury - Prevention and Exercise Question: What types of exercise have you been prescribed to prevent another hamstring injury?