Patient Comments: Hamstring Injury - Cause

What was the cause of your hamstring injury?

Comment from: ironlady, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 26

I was playing golf and walking on the course and suddenly I felt pain in the right-rear upper leg. Two days later, I was again on the golf course and walking up a hill when I felt an intense pain/pop in that area. When I bent down to get the ball out of the hole, I was hit with extreme pain again. I finished the round, took painkillers, and a week later went to the ortho doctor who diagnosed it. I'm using NSAIDs, 200 mg daily, and exercising by stretching

Comment from: johnny G, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 13

Playing 3rd base, batter hits a shot between me and the foul line. I lunge for the ball and made a nice back handed stop. Unfortunately, I felt something in my left thigh. It's been 5 weeks now, I'm at about 90% healed, still a little frightened to use it.

Comment from: Ma5terchief, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: October 09

I was weight lifting a while ago and pulled a hamstring. Now I cant sit down long because it hurts if I do. It's been hurting since early June but not as much now.

Comment from: 0315, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 09

I was in the gym doing dead lifts with 225 lbs. Usually I warm up with light leg presses and stretching but the gym was really crowded and I didn't want to lose my spot, so I didn't warm up properly. With the first rep I felt and heard a pop and doubled over with intense pain. I stopped immediately and limped to the car to drive home. For about 3 hours I felt terrible. I had nausea and dizziness when I'd stand up. I'm iced for 30 minutes 4 times/day for 2 days and took some NSAIDs. I kept waiting for the buising to show up but it never did. I'm 48 and amazed at how fast it's improved. I injured it last Friday morning; today is Wednesday and I went for a slow jog and ended up doing 5 miles. I feel some stiffness but no pain an hour after running. I plan on being very careful with the weights. I won't do any leg work in the gym for at least another week and a half and very lightly when I start back.

Comment from: grifep, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 09

I was playing short in softball and was running toward second and jumped for aliner over my head. I immediately felt a pop in my left hammy. Followed by intense pain from my butt to the back of my knee. This just happened yesterday and is still very painful, especially with movement and going from sitting to standing!

Comment from: horsegirl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 28

I was working my horse, long lining in a sand arena, when he jolted forward. I took a big step after him overstretching my left leg while he pulled on me. I felt a rippling, nasty feeling down my hamstring and a popping sound. I went down to the ground and had to crawl out. Now, four days later, there is a bit of blue on the back of my leg, and even though I can walk, it still hurts a lot. I keep thinking I am sitting on my phone because of the hard muscle in my butt. This is going to take a while to recover they say.

Comment from: Franconyc, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 13

I was playing first base and stretched out to catch the ball. I felt something pop in my hamstring area.

Comment from: golf hamstring injur, 75 or over Male Published: September 09

Hamstring was injured hitting a driver on the golf course. On the downswing there was a pop in the right buttocks area as I drove foreward with the right leg during the beginning of the downswing.

Published: June 09

I was getting on my horse bareback and had not stretched. I had not ridden bareback this season and flung my right leg over the horse and heard a pop and a very severe pain in my right buttock all the way to my knee. I am finding that ibuprofen and elevation are helpful.

Hamstring Injury - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and/or signs were associated with your hamstring injury?
Hamstring Injury - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including therapy, did you receive for your hamstring injury?
Hamstring Injury - Prevention and Exercise Question: What types of exercise have you been prescribed to prevent another hamstring injury?