Patient Comments: Hamstring Injury - Cause

What was the cause of your hamstring injury?

Comment from: grifep, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 09

I was playing short in softball and was running toward second and jumped for aliner over my head. I immediately felt a pop in my left hammy. Followed by intense pain from my butt to the back of my knee. This just happened yesterday and is still very painful, especially with movement and going from sitting to standing!

Comment from: horsegirl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 28

I was working my horse, long lining in a sand arena, when he jolted forward. I took a big step after him overstretching my left leg while he pulled on me. I felt a rippling, nasty feeling down my hamstring and a popping sound. I went down to the ground and had to crawl out. Now, four days later, there is a bit of blue on the back of my leg, and even though I can walk, it still hurts a lot. I keep thinking I am sitting on my phone because of the hard muscle in my butt. This is going to take a while to recover they say.

Comment from: Franconyc, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 13

I was playing first base and stretched out to catch the ball. I felt something pop in my hamstring area.

Comment from: golf hamstring injur, 75 or over Male Published: September 09

Hamstring was injured hitting a driver on the golf course. On the downswing there was a pop in the right buttocks area as I drove foreward with the right leg during the beginning of the downswing.

Published: June 09

I was getting on my horse bareback and had not stretched. I had not ridden bareback this season and flung my right leg over the horse and heard a pop and a very severe pain in my right buttock all the way to my knee. I am finding that ibuprofen and elevation are helpful.

Comment from: albert, 45-54 Male Published: April 05

A girl bet me I couldn't pick up a shot glass from the floor with my mouth without bending my knees. (I wasn't drinking.) Having done lots of yoga this would normally be very simple. Wide stance, shot glass on floor between feet. I bent down too abruptly with no warm up and felt what I'm assuming was a major rip. Now I'm all black and blue. I have an MRI next week. What an idiot.

Comment from: maggiejeen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 01

I fell on the ice while shoveling snow. My big snow boot got caught behind the other one and down I went. I felt a pop and couldn't believe the pain in my leg. It radiated from the hip and tailbone right down to my heel. It took me a few minutes to catch my breath and a few more to get up. It's a grade 3 hamstring pull. Ouch! I'm still recovering.

Comment from: Rhode Island Red, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

It was winter. The office parking lot was frozen with ice. At lunch, I carefully walked to my car. When I tried to open the car door, it jerked because it was frozen. My feet went flying out from under me, and my right buttock side landed on the door frame of the car. It was so painful I thought I broke something. I was fine the next day, but a month later ended up in severe pain, radiating down the outside of my leg, my quad area, and right buttock. Diagnosis: injured hamstring. I have been seeing a PT guy for 2.5 years.

Comment from: Will B, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 21

I was stooping and picking up my 85 lb 14 year old yellow lab to put her into the back of my jeep. She squirmed and put me on my toes in a squat, and I felt a hard snap at the top of my thigh. Pain was intense, and bending or twisting at the waist is still very painful after Advil and Tylenol on advise of the doctor. Icing the thigh. I am a runner, but have always had problems with very tight hamstrings.

Hamstring Injury - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and/or signs were associated with your hamstring injury?
Hamstring Injury - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including therapy, did you receive for your hamstring injury?
Hamstring Injury - Prevention and Exercise Question: What types of exercise have you been prescribed to prevent another hamstring injury?