Patient Comments: Hamstring Injury - Cause

What was the cause of your hamstring injury?

Comment from: MommaMary, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 16

I had to go to a local hospital that is several miles in square feet. Just walking from one door to another is a work out. My father was having a triple bypass surgery. It was winter time and we live in the southern region, so instead of snow, we get cold rains. It was raining out when I took the trip so I opted to wear boots. The only boots I had were high heeled boots. When I got there with my two children in tow, I had to walk about a half mile to get to the surgery floor. The kids decided they were hungry, so my brother and I went to the cafeteria, which is about another half mile walk. My brother has longer legs than I and I had trouble keeping up with him. Then we walked back to surgery and shortly after that, we had to make the trek from surgery to recovery... it was a long walk at a very brisk pace to keep up with the nurse. I didn't feel it until the next day. And I have been feeling it since. It hurts when I stand up. My muscle from my butt to about the back of my knee cramps up severely. I have to gradually stretch it out. It hurts to move, to turn over in bed, to walk, (I have been limping since) And sitting is especially painful. If I sit one way, my leg goes numb, and if I sit another way, it pulls constantly, I have to sit funny. I didn't know what was wrong because I never felt a 'pop' like I hear others talking about. I just started hurting the next day, terribly so. My doc said it was a sciatic nerve... but last I checked, nerves don't do muscle spasms. I treated it like a sciatic and nothing changed. So I started treating it like a pulled, possibly torn muscle, and noticed results right away. I did my research too. I have been taking potassium and magnesium pills, they help with muscle cramps. Also drinking lots of fluid to keep from dehydrating, I took it easy at first, but that seemed to only make matters worse in the long run, so now I am walking again, and stretching and just trying to work through this. I got a little sad when I read that it may take up to eleven months to fully re-coup... but I am a tough ol' bird and now I know for sure what I am dealing with, I will put it to good use and with realistic expectations, pull through this like a champ.. :) Thanks to every one for all your posts, they have been most helpful.

Comment from: joani, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 01

I stepped into a puddle on a polished stone floor in Mexico. My right foot kept going and I did a very fast forward split. My body weight was over my foot. My leg went numb for a few seconds and then pins and needles. The pain was incredible. I could not weight bear at all without buckling. A doctor at the resort thought I just pulled the muscle and advised rest and ice and voltaren. 2 days later my whole upper leg inner and back was purple and very swollen. Ultrasound showed grade 2 tear of my semimembranosus and semitendinosus muscles and tendon tear. 3 months to heal!!!

Comment from: Connie, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 27

I was quickly trotting up the stairs with a glass bottle in my left hand and my flip flop on my right foot hit the stair which was sending me flat onto my face. My immediate reaction was not to land on my face and grabbed the railing with my right hand and that's when I felt my right hamstring go pop! It was so painful I screamed and wasn't even sure if I could get myself up. I never did land on my knees but caught myself dangling. The pain was instant from under my right butt straight down to my ankle! When I sit I feel like I sat on a sock or something but there's a slight bulge there. Very difficult to go from sitting to standing. I've been icing it and heat for relief. I have a feeling I'm in for a long recuperation period.

Comment from: Jill, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

Was sprinting for a fly ball and gave a short burst to get to it. Felt a snap in my right hamstring area and fell hard. Had immediate sensation of pain and couldn't walk off the field. Went to ER because of the intense pain and spasms. Grade II injury with bruising from upper area of hamstring to below the knee. very painful for days. It is now 11 weeks post-injury and I can still feel tightness when I walk. Cannot run yet. Have been faithfully stretching and do elliptical workouts but I feel like this is going to be a long road of recovery.

Comment from: krish, 55-64 Male Published: November 08

During my regular morning stretching exercise (which I do after about 45 minutes of brisk walking) of keeping feet wide apart and bending down forward and touching the right foot with left hand and vice versa alternatively, I felt a sudden jerking internal sound at the back of my right thigh. I immediately stopped my exercise. I have a continuous slight pain in that area. Now when I try the exercise of touching my right foot with my left hand with stretched right leg, i find it difficult to do, as the pain increases. i think it is a I order hamstring injury.

Hamstring Injury - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience associated your hamstring injury?
Hamstring Injury - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including therapy, did you receive for your hamstring injury?
Hamstring Injury - Prevention and Exercise Question: Are you prone to hamstring injuries? What types of exercise have you been prescribed to a prevent another injury?