Patient Comments: Hamstring Injury - Cause

What was the cause of your hamstring injury?

Comment from: Fi0na, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

Like a few others here, a slippery surface led me to slide into the splits inadvertently. I think the pain and swelling after (and having to drive 2 hours in a manual car) was the worst agony I have ever experienced, including ACL, childbirth and hip replacement. So glad to see I am not alone.

Comment from: horseoats, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

I was injured in my hamstring while making a quick run from an active bee nest. I don't recall the actual reason for the fall, whether it was a trip on something or not, but next thing I knew I was flat out on the ground in extreme pain. My knee was bent and I could not straighten it. I was in extreme pain and was non-weight bearing.

Comment from: Kathy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 03

My hamstring injury was cause exiting a kayak as a large wave hit. One leg was on land, and the other still in the kayak and was being pulled forcefully into an unnatural splits position.

Comment from: zeyneczar, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 22

I just injured my hamstring-gluteal muscle when my Siberian husky got loose from his leash and I chased him and stepped on his leash to stop him. I felt the pain immediately and it is painful to walk and sit. I can bend my knee and cross my knee, but sitting in a certain position causes pain. I am icing it, resting and taking Aleve.

Comment from: UnkleBob, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 11

I was mountain biking on 7/14, crossing a log, standing on pedals. I got a cramp at the same time I was pushing the pedal with that leg to get the back wheel over. I felt/heard a pop, ended up at the bottom of steep fall next to the trail. I'm bruised butt to knee now, with a hamstring injury, not to mention the other scrapes and bruises resulting from the fall.

Comment from: Ace, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 17

Playing hockey, carrying the puck, I “hit the brakes" to avoid a check, and yikes, tightened muscles at the back of braking leg. It hurt for rest of the game, still sore today, but plan to play tomorrow and rest of the month, will have the summer to rehab if necessary.

Comment from: Matt, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: October 22

I was 19 years old, I was rounding third base in a full out sprint. As I stepped on the base, I felt a horrible pain, and I was face planted in the ground holding my hamstring. For the first time in my life I didn't even think about getting back to the base. I couldn't stand, I couldn't move, I couldn't bend it and finally crawled off the field. I still had to drive my 5-speed home and it was my clutch leg too. I developed a nasty, yellow, green, black and blue bruise across the back of my thigh of course, which lasted for almost two months. I took 9 months to rehab and heal before pushing it. For a couple years after, I had problems with slight pulls, but 6 or 7 years later now, I've learned to stretch it correctly and now I just have pictures of the nasty bruise to remember it.

Comment from: Angus, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

My hamstring injury was caused by kite surfing. When landing my foot slipped resulting in doing a split. I now have a huge bruise around my calf and testicles. I find it painful, more so when standing, and I am walking slowly with a limp.

Comment from: maydaynm, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 15

The cause of my hamstring injury was reaching forward to grab something while siting with my feet under me and spread a couple of feet apart.

Hamstring Injury - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and/or signs were associated with your hamstring injury?
Hamstring Injury - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including therapy, did you receive for your hamstring injury?
Hamstring Injury - Prevention and Exercise Question: What types of exercise have you been prescribed to prevent another hamstring injury?