Patient Comments: Hair Loss - Telogen Effuvium

Describe your experience with telogen effuvium, including the suspected cause for your "sudden" hair loss.

Comment from: Cindy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

I had a very full-head of hair until I used a permanent hair color by L'Oreal called Sublime Mousse. I was very sick and my hair was falling out right and left. I lost half of my hair. I didn't take the allergy test but then again who does! Many women have told me they never take the allergy test but if you are sensitive in any manner I suggest the allergy testing for sure. The dermatologist looked through my hair and said you have male pattern baldness and telogen effluvium. I said no sir, I am having an allergic reaction to this hair color I'm holding in my hands. That's when all this started. Male pattern baldness is over a period of years not three months. I have pictures the same month where I have a head full of lush hair.

Comment from: Cindy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

I put the hair dye on my scalp July 17, 2013. Hair has been falling out to date which is now January 6, 2014. I bought Biosil which has helped immediately and continues to help less shed. Also my allergy doctor did diagnose it as allergic contact dermatitis and prescribed me a 4oz bottle of clobetasol shampoo 0.05% for the cost of $474.00 (yes, you read that right!) and a topical solution 4oz bottle for approximately $236.00 plus an $80.00 bottle of anti-histamines. It was months of agony and being terrified; lesson learned.

Comment from: going crazy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I underwent a divorce and since then my hair has been falling severely. Now I am married and have had a baby but my hair fall doesn't seem to reduce. I have lost considerable hair and my scalp shows. This is a permanent cause of embarrassment. My doctor gives medicines but that helps only temporarily. I don't know what to do.

Hair Loss - Treatments Question: What hair loss treatments have worked well for you?
Hair Loss - Age and Pattern Question: How old were you when you first experienced hair loss? How would you describe or classify the pattern?
Hair Loss - Vitamins Question: What vitamins do you take for hair loss? Have you noticed an improvement since taking them?
Hair Loss - Options Question: What optional treatments have you tried for your hair loss? Are you happy with the results?
Hair Loss - Women Question: If you are a woman, describe your experience with hair loss, including any treatments.