Patient Comments: Hair Loss - Age and Pattern

How old were you when you first experienced hair loss? How would you describe or classify the pattern?

Comment from: Lin, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

My mother has very thin hair from Swedish side of family. My hair loss seemed to begin with menopause at age 50, mostly on top, stringy bangs now. Rogaine has not helped, I take vitamin B12; it mostly helps nails. If my hair was not as coarse as it is it would look as thin as my mother's was. My father had thick curly hair but very bald at a very young age. I am seriously looking into injections, and have been looking into stem cell transplant; I intend to meet with my dermatologist to discuss options. I have had some years of a lot of stress when hair seemed to look worse, I do believe stress causes a lot of medical and psychological problems.

Comment from: Sharon, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

I am a 36 year old African American woman. I started to notice hair loss after a very stressful and traumatic illness. To make matters worse I went on a crash diet not long after the illness where I lost 40 pounds in about two months. Last, I was using chemical relaxers and processing my hair quite a bit. After relaxing my hair one night, I woke up in the middle of the night with my scalp (near my temples) inflamed. It was the worst case of itching I had ever experienced and I scratched all night long. I awoke the next day to find a small nickel sized bald spot on my temple (with no hair whatsoever) and the rest of my hair on the temples having broken off severely. I had slept the night in a very tight ponytail and I know scratching the already tight hair was the culprit. So I went natural. I cut off all of my relaxed hair and now I use no chemicals or heat and I wear a small afro. Two years later my hair at my temples would recede and grow back and back and forth. The hair at my temples now is short and fine. And they just won't grow long. What worries me is the V shape of the receding. It's just like the shape of a man with male pattern balding. That frightens me. I am getting whiskers now and maybe my testosterone is kicked up but I have removed stress out of my life and I eat healthy but I cannot stop the recession. I use emu oil, saw palmetto, castor oil, coconut oil and Mane and Tail leave in conditioner. The rest of my hair is growing and very healthy but the temple area, it seems nothing will help it. It is so evident now that it is noticeable to many people and it is depressing me.

Comment from: robertronaldforrest@, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 02

My hair loss began in my 20s and has continued to this time. The daily loss is far above 100 to 150, the normal loss level. Although I have no bald spot, my hair loss continues to get worse, much thinner hair, much more hair loss each wash. My hair loss is from all areas of my scalp even low on the back of my neck. Recent blood work and scalp biopsy reveals no negative conditions yet my hair continues to fall out at greater and greater rates. The recent scalp biopsy stated the features of androgenic alopecia not seen nor telogen effluvium are not seen, yet my hair continues to get thinner and thinner. Taking 1 mg finasteride daily for one year now has shown no improvement at all. I have only 1/10 the hair I had at 20 years old; something wrong, but I don't know what.

Comment from: shamaine, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 20

I had traction alopecia and was advised by a doctor to stop ponytails and tight hair styles and use Minoxidil. I did and used Minoxidil on my temple and nape areas for over a year and all the hair grew back, impressive. But 3 to 4months of not using this product I lost all my hair on the front and back, I get the feeling more than 200 hair falls off every day, because the baldness is spreading to the back. I started taking vitamins for hair, skin and nails and a daily women's vitamin pill. But for topical application I have used aloe vera, olive oil, lavender oil, argon oil, castor oil, cayenne pepper treatment, Dr. Miracle's nape and temple growth and strengthening cream, nada, the hair is still falling, we do not have advanced technology here in Africa for the various hair tests but there is no bald person in both my families.

Comment from: kashan, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: July 25

I have hair fall (baldness), I am 20 year old.

Hair Loss - Treatments Question: What hair loss treatments have worked well for you?
Hair Loss - Vitamins Question: What vitamins do you take for hair loss? Have you noticed an improvement since taking them?
Hair Loss - Options Question: What optional treatments have you tried for your hair loss? Are you happy with the results?
Hair Loss - Telogen Effuvium Question: Describe your experience with telogen effuvium, including the suspected cause for your "sudden" hair loss.
Hair Loss - Women Question: If you are a woman, describe your experience with hair loss, including any treatments.