Patient Comments: Hair Loss - Age and Pattern

How old were you when you first experienced hair loss? How would you describe or classify the pattern?

Comment from: robertronaldforrest@, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 02

My hair loss began in my 20s and has continued to this time. The daily loss is far above 100 to 150, the normal loss level. Although I have no bald spot, my hair loss continues to get worse, much thinner hair, much more hair loss each wash. My hair loss is from all areas of my scalp even low on the back of my neck. Recent blood work and scalp biopsy reveals no negative conditions yet my hair continues to fall out at greater and greater rates. The recent scalp biopsy stated the features of androgenic alopecia not seen nor telogen effluvium are not seen, yet my hair continues to get thinner and thinner. Taking 1 mg finasteride daily for one year now has shown no improvement at all. I have only 1/10 the hair I had at 20 years old; something wrong, but I don't know what.

Comment from: shamaine, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 20

I had traction alopecia and was advised by a doctor to stop ponytails and tight hair styles and use Minoxidil. I did and used Minoxidil on my temple and nape areas for over a year and all the hair grew back, impressive. But 3 to 4months of not using this product I lost all my hair on the front and back, I get the feeling more than 200 hair falls off every day, because the baldness is spreading to the back. I started taking vitamins for hair, skin and nails and a daily women's vitamin pill. But for topical application I have used aloe vera, olive oil, lavender oil, argon oil, castor oil, cayenne pepper treatment, Dr. Miracle's nape and temple growth and strengthening cream, nada, the hair is still falling, we do not have advanced technology here in Africa for the various hair tests but there is no bald person in both my families.

Hair Loss - Treatments Question: What hair loss treatments have worked well for you?
Hair Loss - Vitamins Question: What vitamins do you take for hair loss? Have you noticed an improvement since taking them?
Hair Loss - Options Question: What optional treatments have you tried for your hair loss? Are you happy with the results?
Hair Loss - Telogen Effuvium Question: Describe your experience with telogen effuvium, including the suspected cause for your "sudden" hair loss.
Hair Loss - Women Question: If you are a woman, describe your experience with hair loss, including any treatments.