Patient Comments: Gynecomastia - Experience

Please describe your experience with gynecomastia.

Comment from: deVO54, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 09

I developed obvious breast at the early onset of puberty and have suffered from gynecomastia for over 45 years. It has always been a source of extreme embarrassment, even at home with my family. Needless to say, any time I had to disrobe in front of others, after gym class at the health club, even at the doctor's office and for medical procedures, this was a very humiliating experience. I have never appeared in public, even at the beach without a shirt of some kind and have even worn a shirt while having sex on many occasions just to hide my chest. I know I have always been reluctant to allow anyone to even hug me for fear they could feel the breast under my clothes. This includes family and friends and I have avoided intimacy with someone specifically because of the breasts. I have hard lumps and at times they are quite painful. I was always very thin for most of my life and managed to hide my 'deformity' even while working as a professional model by wearing a constriction bandage or undershirt. But after a severe injury in 2002, I was inactive for several years. I gained a lot of weight and the size of my breasts can no longer be concealed. I have always wanted to have them surgically reduced to a more masculine appearance, but was even too embarrassed to discuss my issue with a doctor. This malady runs in my family. My father was several effected and my younger brother to a lesser degree than myself but he was always in such extremely great physical condition all his life he too managed to conceal his problem very well. I managed to avoid a lot of the teasing and bullying I saw other young boys and men enduring simply by avoiding those situations where I might be required to take off my shirt. I was never active in sports, only took one year of physical education in high school, the minimum allowed to graduate and even then found many ways to avoid actually participating in games that required a shirts versus skins situation. I played shirts or not at all! And I never took a public shower making up a religious objection to public displays of nudity. I came up with that all on my own and actually got away with it. I am on this site as part of my research to actually try get something done to improve the look of my chest. After 6 decades of being so body conscious I don't know that I'll ever be able to go topless even around my home. I don't take my shirt off except in the absolute privacy of my bath or bedroom, but I just want to finally feel better about myself.

Comment from: bornnaked1967, Male (Patient) Published: July 09

I am 47 years old and I didn't know there was treatment out for this wretched problem of gynecomastia. I have a 65 inch chest and this problem has held me back from many things including water sports, taking my shirt off in public. It destroyed me as a young adult, dating sucked. I was a freak. It has caused me many problems, now hard to breath. I have sleep apnea. I want help but cannot afford expensive surgery. I have been married two times and humiliated by spouses because of this problem. Do I just give in and accept it and embrace it or do I still seek help to rid my body of this medical nightmare! I would also like to add that I developed depression issues and anxiety over these huge man breasts and I have not done steroids or supplements of any kind. I had abused many other drugs to relieve me from my personal pain but I have been clean and sober for 20 years now. I am watching my sons so if I see this problem developing in them we will get them the help they need, the help I never got.

Comment from: nonya, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 23

I developed gynecomastia when I hit puberty. It runs in the family. I have two brothers who had it plus my dad and myself. I started working out like crazy in hopes that I could make it go away. I was very strong, fit and loved playing sports. However, working out did not work. I was teased and humiliated to no end. I was called lots of names as well. I finally lashed out as a teen and fought with a couple of the kids that teased me. When I was 18 I had surgery to remove the now-hardened tissue. In 10 days I was back in the gym. Within a year I had filled in the space left by the removed tissue. I am 47 years old today. My bright, athletic son is now in the same position I was in as a child. He is 14 years old, working out and embarrassed. We are going to see a surgeon tomorrow for a consultation.

Comment from: dhamhir67, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 18

I"ve had gynecomastia for as long as I can remember. I am embarrassed to take off my shirt at home, I don"t go anything that has to do with swimming. My self-esteem is almost non-existent. I"ve spoken with a doctor before and then my insurance changed and I have never brought it up since.

Comment from: rajkishor, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: December 05

I am 24 years old and have developed breast ever since I was 12. I do not see any sign of reduction and I find it very embarrassing as a result I never go top bare in public or even at home. I don't feel any pain or lump, instead they are soft and loose. I often think of going to a doctor but don't know which doctor to consult. I have never taken any kind of drugs or medication ever.

Gynecomastia - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your gynecomastia?
Gynecomastia - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your gynecomastia?