Patient Comments: Gynecomastia - Experience

Please describe your experience with gynecomastia.

Comment from: nonya, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 23

I developed gynecomastia when I hit puberty. It runs in the family. I have two brothers who had it plus my dad and myself. I started working out like crazy in hopes that I could make it go away. I was very strong, fit and loved playing sports. However, working out did not work. I was teased and humiliated to no end. I was called lots of names as well. I finally lashed out as a teen and fought with a couple of the kids that teased me. When I was 18 I had surgery to remove the now-hardened tissue. In 10 days I was back in the gym. Within a year I had filled in the space left by the removed tissue. I am 47 years old today. My bright, athletic son is now in the same position I was in as a child. He is 14 years old, working out and embarrassed. We are going to see a surgeon tomorrow for a consultation.

Comment from: dhamhir67, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 18

I"ve had gynecomastia for as long as I can remember. I am embarrassed to take off my shirt at home, I don"t go anything that has to do with swimming. My self-esteem is almost non-existent. I"ve spoken with a doctor before and then my insurance changed and I have never brought it up since.

Comment from: rajkishor, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: December 05

I am 24 years old and have developed breast ever since I was 12. I do not see any sign of reduction and I find it very embarrassing as a result I never go top bare in public or even at home. I don't feel any pain or lump, instead they are soft and loose. I often think of going to a doctor but don't know which doctor to consult. I have never taken any kind of drugs or medication ever.

Comment from: Dee, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 23

Entering puberty I got upper growth rather than lower. I was very allergic to poison ivy and took a lot of cortisone.I was heavy but over the summer of my entering high school lost a lot of poundage by swimming. My nips were large but the breast fat lessened. I was in my thirties when the subject of sexual abuse arose. My lower parts increased by about 40% at erection. I am gaining weight and now have breasts. The trouble is that to touch my nipples is painful now.

Comment from: oldman, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 11

My nipple became swollen and all around my breast area was and is still very sensitive to touch. I had a mammogram today to confirmed this condition, and to rule out male breast cancer, as I have already lost a brother to this, and it also runs in my family.I have many other medical conditions, which may have caused this condition. My Doctor will consult me about a plan soon.

Comment from: Henry, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 22

Since the time I was in grade school I have not been able to participate in any sports due to this condition. My self-esteem is gone and I do not do anything in public, especially swimming.

Gynecomastia - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your gynecomastia?
Gynecomastia - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your gynecomastia?