Patient Comments: Guillain-Barre Syndrome - Treatment

What kinds of treatment did you or a relative receive for Guillain-Barre syndrome?

Comment from: Soldier, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 17

In late winter 1991 I had a cold that would not leave. Being on active duty with the Army I continued to work. In early spring 1991 I noticed numbness in both feet & hands. Was placed in Madigan Army Med Ctr for tests & observation. After 10 days I was released even though I had transit pain in back and the numbness was creeping up limbs and arms. Was told maybe I had eaten the wrong type mushrooms. Pain increased until I went to the ER at Madigan (MAMC) & was admitted. A nightmare continued there until finally an outside MD was brought in & pronounced what I had, The treatment I received at MAMC was horrible & the care was almost none. Several MDs said I had the following: Cancer (would die soon), big time drug use that had caught up with me, crazy, PMR, and just faking it to get out of work. Had almost 30 yrs in Army then & was A Sergeant Major (E9) so that really set me off. Finally released in the fall of 1991 with really no follow-up on MAMC's part. Retired in 1992 & continued to be bothered by post Guillian-Barre after effects. Very depressed when & while in hospital. Would wish this on no one and feel Madigan's care & treatment of this severe disorder was criminal.

Was this comment helpful?Yes

Patient Comments

Viewers share their comments

Guillain-Barre Syndrome - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with Guillain-Barre syndrome?

Patient Comments are not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your physician or other qualified health provider because of something you have read on MedicineNet. The opinions expressed in the comments section are of the author and the author alone. MedicineNet does not endorse any specific product, service or treatment.

Alert If you think you have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately.

Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration

You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.