What is the dosage for Mucinex DM?
Adults and children 12 years of age and older:
- Robitussin DM and Robitussin DM Maximum Strength (liquid): Take 10 ml by mouth every 4 hours as needed. No more than 6 doses in 24 hours.
- Mucinex Fast-Max DM: Take 20 ml by mouth every 4 hours. No more than 6 doses in 24 hours.
- Robitussin DM Maximum Strength (capsules): Take 2 capsules by mouth every 4 hours as needed. No More than 12 capsules in 24 hours.
- Mucinex DM: Take 1 or 2 tablets by mouth every 12 hours. No more than 4 tablets in 24 hours.
- Mucinex DM Maximum Strength: Take 1 tablet by mouth every 12 hours. No more than 2 tablets in 24 hours.
Safe and effective use of guaifenesin and dextromethorphan is not established for children under 12 years of age.
Which drugs or supplements interact with Mucinex DM?
Guaifenesin/dextromethorphan should not be used with MAO inhibitors like phenelzine (Nardil), selegiline (Zelapar, Emsam, and Eldepryl), tranylcypromine (Parnate), procarbazine (Matulane), rasagiline (Azilect) and isocarboxazid (Marplan). Such combinations increase the risk of serious side effects. Guaifenesin/dextromethorphan should not be used within 14 days of using a MAO inhibitor.
Quick GuideTips to Calm Your Cough in Pictures
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Need help identifying pills and medications?
Use the pill identifier tool on RxList.