GENERIC NAME: guaifenesin and dextromethorphan hydrobromide
BRAND NAME: Robitussin DM, Robitussin DM Maximum Strength (liquid), Robitussin DM Maximum Strength (capsules), Mucinex DM, Mucinex DM Maximum Strength, Mucinex Fast-Max DM
DRUG CLASS AND MECHANISM: Guaifenesin/dextromethorphan is a combination medication that is an expectorant and cough suppressant. Guaifenesin is an expectorant, which works by thinning oral mucus and increasing mucus volume. Dextromethorphan works on the cough center in the brain. It disrupts sensitivity of cough receptors and interrupts transmission of cough impulses.
GENERIC AVAILABLE: Yes
- Robitussin DM contains 100 mg of guaifenesin and 10 mg of dextromethorphan in each 5 ml of liquid.
- Robitussin DM Maximum Strength and contains
400 mg of guaifenesin and 20 mg of dextromethorphan in each 10 ml of liquid.
- Robitussin DM Maximum Strength is available in 4 fluid ounce (120 ml) and 8 fluid ounce (240 ml) bottles. Mucinex Fast-Max DM is available in 6 fluid ounce (180 ml) bottles.
- Robitussin DM Maximum Strength is also available as liquid-filled capsules, containing 200 mg of guaifenesin and 10 mg of dextromethorphan in each capsule. Robitussin DM Maximum Strength is available in a package of 20 capsules.
- Mucinex Fast-Max DM contains 400 mg of
guaifenesin and 20 mg of dextromethorphan in each 20 ml of liquid.
- Mucinex DM and Mucinex DM Maximum Strength are available as extended-release oral tablet form.
- Mucinex DM contains 600 mg of Guaifenesin and 30 mg of Dextromethorphan in each tablet, available as 20 tablets per package.
- Mucinex DM Maximum Strength contains 1200 mg of Guaifenesin and 60 mg of Dextromethorphan in each tablet, available as 14 tablets per package.
Quick GuideCold and Flu: Finding Relief for Your Cough
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Need help identifying pills and medications?
Use the pill identifier tool on RxList.