STORAGE: Guaifenesin and codeine liquid should be stored between 15 C to 30 C (59 F to 86 F).
- Adults and children 12 years of age and older: Take 2 teaspoon (10 ml) by mouth every 4 hours as needed.
- Children 6 years to 12 years of age: Take 1 teaspoon (5 ml) by mouth every 4 hours as needed.
- Children 2 years to 6 years of age: Consult a doctor.
- Children under 2 years of age: Do not use.
- Do not use more than 6 doses in a 24-hour period.
DRUG INTERACTIONS: Naltrexone (Riva) decreases the effect of codeine in the body, therefore codeine must not be used with naltrexone.
Any other medications that increase drowsiness should be used with caution with guaifenesin and codeine.
PREGNANCY: There are no adequate studies with guaifenesin and codeine to determine its safety and effectiveness in pregnant women.
NURSING MOTHERS: Guaifenesin with codeine is excreted in breast milk; therefore, it must be used with caution in nursing mothers.
FDA Prescribing Information.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Need help identifying pills and medications?
Use the pill identifier tool on RxList.