Patient Comments: Group B Strep - Treatments

What was the most effective treatment for your group B strep?

Comment from: Happy girl, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I have had group B strep (GBS) for a few years now, I believe it started on my skin. I got an itchy rash near my bikini line, which I thought was hot tub folliculitis. It spread to my genitals and soon after I began to have UTI (urinary tract infection) like symptoms. Then I got hemorrhoids, then chest pain. I was tired and weak all the time. Then my joints started to ache. I was bloated. I thought, wow thirties are tough! I finally got insurance after two years of this. I found out it was group B strep causing all of it! I did a round of amoxicillin and it was gone. Six months later it came back! More antibiotics and it has gone again. Two months later back again. I"m on 14 days of Augmentin, it"s supposed to be a little stronger. We"ll see! I hope it works. By the way, I"m a healthy 33 year old with one child. No signs of GBS when I delivered her.

Comment from: A loving Father, 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: December 14

My Sons name is Jaxton. He was born Dec. 7, 2011. We were so blessed and excited to have him here. He was born perfectly healthy and was so beautiful. We were able to hold him for 4 hours before he started to wheeze for air. The doctors took him to the NICU and found that he had a groupies strep blood infection. My wife had previously tested negative for this disease a few weeks prior. My little boy fought so hard against the disease but it was too much. His little heart gave out on December 12, 2011. He lived for 5 days. I am in so much pain and agony because me or my wife didn't know of the severe consequences of this disease. I feel that all parents and mothers need to be educated more fully on serious things such as GBS. This saddens me most because I know there is a good chance my little boy could be laying by me right now if my wife was given the antibiotic. We love him and miss him so much. But we do know that we will be able to see him again one day and hold him in our arms.

Comment from: kassy, 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 12

I tested positive for group b strep and was given the antibiotics during labor, which was induced. My son still contracted it at the age of 3 weeks old. He ran a temp of 104.6 he was in the hospital for 1 1/2 weeks then sent home on an IV for 10 additional days. The doctors never told me how deadly this is for new borns. I'm kind of glad they didn't, I think I would have fallen apart. He has a slight learning disability but overall is healthy and fine. However I wish the doctors would have listened to me from the get and he would not have had to suffer. I kept taking him to the ped center because he was super fussy and would ball up every time he ate. He also would not have bowl movements without me helping by using a thermometer. They kept sending me home telling me that he was colic and lactose. It got to the point that he would not sleep. Cry and cry then he went 9 hours without eating, then finally he broke a fever. So if you are mom and you know something is wrong with your baby and you tested positive for group b and your child is acting like this and in serious pain make the doctors test him or her.

Comment from: Frustrated, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I've recently had problems with my tongue. I was split, burning, and red. A swab and culture came back with Strep B of the tongue. My physician said this was a "first for her." I'm on Z-pak antibiotic.

Comment from: Loridrid, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 16

I had a baby in 1987 born with GBS and back then they really knew nothing about it. She lived 24 hours. I'm glad they test for it routinely now. It was a senseless way to lose a baby when all you need is antibiotics to clear it up. I had 3 children after her and they were all GBS free. I was on antibiotics during labor for precautions.

Group B Strep - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with group B strep.
Group B Strep - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your group B strep infection?