Patient Comments: Group B Strep - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with group B strep.

Comment from: Kristian, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 16

I am a healthy 26 year old woman. I found out when I was pregnant that I was a carrier of group B strep. I was given antibiotics and I delivered my son who is now 2 years old and healthy. About 6 months after having him I developed an infection that the doctors misdiagnosed for about a year as bacterial vaginosis, but it was actually group B strep causing a heavy discharge. I have not taken antibiotics in probably 8 months because they did not help. I seem to be healthy other than this abnormal discharge. It is going on two years of having this. The doctors don't seem to know much about it. If anyone gets answers and finds a cure please post your story. I also have bowel issues which makes me wonder if this could have something to do with it, seems this is how it is colonized in these local areas.

Comment from: Gramma4566, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I am still dealing with heart, lung, and pancreas damage 7 years after a strep B acquired during surgery with dirty hands/instruments. Aortic valve stenosis will require surgery for repair. I am still on insulin. Lung biopsy along with heart valve repair to treat inflamed scar tissue still there after 7 years. The gift that keeps on giving.

Comment from: Collp, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

I tested positive at 32 weeks for strep B, but when my son was born, we both were given high doses of antibiotics. Mine were intravenously given, his given in three doses within a 24 hour period. My son, we found out, 6 weeks later didn't have strep B. However, fast forward 5 years and my son now has autism and a mild intellectual disability. I don't understand, if I am a carrier why didn't I have this with my first son. I wonder if men can be carriers of strep B. It's so strange to have strep B with one child but not the other. Only difference I have seen was a metal clamp used while doing a Pap test. Also they tell us our babies' immune system needs to build up after birth but we are making them weaker by giving all these antibiotics! Too bad there isn't a way to test quicker after a baby is born to check to see who needs antibiotics or not. I wonder if there is a link between autism and antibiotics.

Comment from: lynnec, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 04

After giving birth to my daughter she was taken from me at birth as she was not breathing, we didn't even know what sex she was as they ran to intensive care with her. Later that day she made a recovery and all was well. My daughter is now 7 years old and although she looks a normal healthy girl she has severe learning difficulties, she's almost 8 and she can't read, write or spell. We're now going through all sorts of tests to see how much damage has been done to brain due to the strep B. I would never have known about any of this as I didn't even know what strep B was until I started researching it recently. I wish all the children with strep B all the best and hope there isn't as much damage to their brains as there is to my daughter's.

Comment from: Gurlygirl, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I have been having frequent urination, lower left back pain, lower abdominal spasms, and my bladder felt full all of the time. I went to several doctors in 2013 and they tested me for everything under the sun, to no avail. I went to another doctor three weeks ago and the test came back positive for group B strep. I had no clue what that was. She treated me with amoxicillin and then a week later it came back. Now I am on Augmentin for 10 days. I am hoping this goes away. I don't have any children, and I don't know how I could've gotten this bacteria or how it became active.

Comment from: kelik, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 01

I thought I had a yeast infection so I called and my doctor, who gave me 3 days of Diflucan. I went in to see the doctor because my symptoms had improved but not gone away. They did a pap test and the only thing they found was group B strep. I don't understand how or why I have a group B infection in my vagina.

Comment from: c williams, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

My experience with strep B is burning on the inside of my vagina as if someone has lit a match and placed it in my vagina. I have not had any success with antibiotics. The urologist I see is not concerned because she stated that the colonies were not significant enough to worry about.

Group B Strep - Treatments Question: What was the most effective treatment for your group B strep?
Group B Strep - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your group B strep infection?