Patient Comments: Group B Strep - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with group B strep.

Comment from: Ladyb, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 18

Unknown to me I carried strep B. I had fever during labor, my hind waters had broken 22 hours previously and so my son was infected. The nurse said to me "why didn"t you tell us you had Strep B"? I had no idea what she was talking about and when I questioned it during our month long stay I was fobbed off. So second time around I told them what happened and they gave me antibiotic during labor, my second son only contracted surface strep so with a week of antibiotics he was ok. But the past three years I have suffered with hives, starting at the ankle and going up the body, dry scaly skin patch rashes to my legs, joint pain, weakness to muscles and tendon injuries, allergy increase, hair loss, breathing difficulties, brittle nails, clicking joints, one after the other sinus and urine infections, verrucas and skin tags, bloating, and burning knees. And it's just this week after much research into each of the above I learned that they can all be linked back to Strep B or A. I called the doctors and asked them to check my blood for it. I also had an extremely low vitamin D level of 7 and very low foliates which I rectified but a month after, it returned to the above state, including anaphylaxis. I am so onto this on Monday and will keep you posted.

Comment from: GroupBSurvivor91, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

I was born May 25th 1991 with group B streptococcus. Within the first week that I was born I was rushed back to the hospital where my doctor told my parents that I had the infection. I was immediately taken from them where I was then hooked up to many machines as well as hooked up to a heart monitor and seizure monitor. My parents told me that I am very lucky to be alive. I stayed in the hospital for two weeks fighting the infection not even a month old. Both of my parents remind me every day about how fortunate I am to be here, and I believe I am as well. With all of the medication I took I'm really lucky to be here. I am now 22 with a son of my own who was not born with the infection and I am so grateful for that.

Comment from: priscilla, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I was 30 weeks pregnant when my twin boys were delivered by C-section. Four hours before delivery my nurse told me my oldest son's heart rate had increased. The doctor came to my room with an ultrasound machine and we both watched him for an hour. My son was not breathing or moving. I knew something was wrong, but I did not know what. After he was born, the doctor said "he was just sleeping." After suffering from a fever overnight, I was finally able to see my boys in the NICU late in the evening. The NICU nurse told me he had strep B and my heart sank. I asked the nurse how this can be; he was delivered by C-section. The nurse told me I had strep B and took an antibiotic before surgery. It was too late for my son to feel the effect of the antibiotic. I knew I had placenta abruption but to add strep B to it made things worse. I was upset the blood test was not done earlier to prevent him from getting the infection. I am glad he recovered from the infection within a week and will be one year old in two weeks. Thankfully my youngest son did not get the infection but was given antibiotics as a precaution.

Comment from: tdopp, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

In 2004 I found out I was a group B strep carrier when I went in for my 20 week routine ultrasound. During the ultrasound they found I was starting to dilate and sent me to the hospital to meet with high risk obstetrician. They did an amino and it came back positive for infection. Somehow the group B strep crossed the membranes and infected the amniotic sac. My water broke the next morning and we chose to induce labor. Our baby boy was born at 21 weeks and lived with us for about a half hour after birth. I personally feel that although rare this can happen and testing at 35 weeks is too late. I miscarried the following year and finally 23 months later we had a healthy baby boy. I took antibiotics throughout my pregnancy after my first trimester knowing it was a viable pregnancy. I was positive before taking the antibiotics and negative at my 35 week test. When I had my fist baby my state did not routinely test for it during pregnancy. My oldest was hospitalized when he was only seven weeks old. In hindsight, most doctors now think it was secondary onset of Group B that caused his unknown fever and hospitalized him for 2 days.

Comment from: poh, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

I tested negative at 36 weeks for strep B, but when my daughter was born, we both were very ill with strep B. My water had broken and then I was in labor for 18 hours, before finally doing an emergency C-section. My daughter had to be resuscitated at birth and has learning disabilities. We were lucky that she lived. She spent 10 days in the hospital, I spent 5. I was so sick the first 2 days that I was not coherent. After that experience, I was scared to have my next child. I had scheduled deliveries with antibiotics before the deliveries. My next 2 children are fine. If my daughter ever had children, I would have her take antibiotics before the delivery as a precaution. I have always had yeast infections, so that was interesting to learn that there is relation. I wonder if men can be carriers of strep B.

Group B Strep - Treatments Question: What was the most effective treatment for your group B strep?
Group B Strep - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your group B strep infection?