Patient Comments: Group B Strep - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with group B strep.

Comment from: Collp, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

I tested positive at 32 weeks for strep B, but when my son was born, we both were given high doses of antibiotics. Mine were intravenously given, his given in three doses within a 24 hour period. My son, we found out, 6 weeks later didn't have strep B. However, fast forward 5 years and my son now has autism and a mild intellectual disability. I don't understand, if I am a carrier why didn't I have this with my first son. I wonder if men can be carriers of strep B. It's so strange to have strep B with one child but not the other. Only difference I have seen was a metal clamp used while doing a Pap test. Also they tell us our babies' immune system needs to build up after birth but we are making them weaker by giving all these antibiotics! Too bad there isn't a way to test quicker after a baby is born to check to see who needs antibiotics or not. I wonder if there is a link between autism and antibiotics.

Comment from: lynnec, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 04

After giving birth to my daughter she was taken from me at birth as she was not breathing, we didn't even know what sex she was as they ran to intensive care with her. Later that day she made a recovery and all was well. My daughter is now 7 years old and although she looks a normal healthy girl she has severe learning difficulties, she's almost 8 and she can't read, write or spell. We're now going through all sorts of tests to see how much damage has been done to brain due to the strep B. I would never have known about any of this as I didn't even know what strep B was until I started researching it recently. I wish all the children with strep B all the best and hope there isn't as much damage to their brains as there is to my daughter's.

Comment from: Gurlygirl, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I have been having frequent urination, lower left back pain, lower abdominal spasms, and my bladder felt full all of the time. I went to several doctors in 2013 and they tested me for everything under the sun, to no avail. I went to another doctor three weeks ago and the test came back positive for group B strep. I had no clue what that was. She treated me with amoxicillin and then a week later it came back. Now I am on Augmentin for 10 days. I am hoping this goes away. I don't have any children, and I don't know how I could've gotten this bacteria or how it became active.

Comment from: c williams, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

My experience with strep B is burning on the inside of my vagina as if someone has lit a match and placed it in my vagina. I have not had any success with antibiotics. The urologist I see is not concerned because she stated that the colonies were not significant enough to worry about.

Comment from: tinabonomo, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 25

When I was 23 I gave birth to a full term baby boy in 1995. He was doing well so I went to rest since I was in labor for over 8 hours with him. About 2 hours later I was awakened by the nurse telling me that they had to get blood from me and that they were trying to get my son stabilized. The nurse told me that they were going to transport him to the children's hospital because they didn't have the equipment there to treat him. My obstetrician/gynecologist (OB/GYN) came in shortly after that and he did a culture on me. It came back that I had group B strep. They were able to get my son's blood pressure stabilized and they transported him. My OB/GYN released me so that I could be with my son. As my husband showed up to take me to the hospital where they had transported my son we got a call at the hospital where he was born at and the paramedic proceeded to tell me that my son had passed away in the middle of transport. After I did further research on the group B infection it turned out that I had it in 1989 also when I gave birth to my daughter. She is mentally and physically disabled. Some of her mental disorders are sight impairment, hearing impairment and her feet quit growing. She's 25 and only wears a size 3 shoe. She also has 18 chromosomal disorder and that's where the rest of her disabilities falls in. Then in 1997 my husband and I gave birth to a healthy baby boy again but this time the doctor would not let me go into natural labor, he scheduled me to be induced a week early so that way they could give me antibiotics before the labor really kicked in. We now have a very healthy 16 year old but I always sit and wonder if it only took 30 seconds to swab the inside of the uterus why didn't the doctors test for that a long time ago. I have two very special children one my baby girl and two my guardian angel who passed away at 7 hours and 56 minutes old. All I can say to any pregnant woman is please get tested for this disease.

Comment from: kelik, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 01

I thought I had a yeast infection so I called and my doctor, who gave me 3 days of Diflucan. I went in to see the doctor because my symptoms had improved but not gone away. They did a pap test and the only thing they found was group B strep. I don't understand how or why I have a group B infection in my vagina.

Group B Strep - Treatments Question: What was the most effective treatment for your group B strep?
Group B Strep - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your group B strep infection?