Patient Comments: Group B Strep - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with group B strep.

Comment from: Hope, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 26

I have had fissures in my vaginal area off and on for about eight years. One doctor told me some women are just prone to that. Another thought I had herpes. I have been tested several times for STDs with negative results. I just went to the doctor again, and he scraped the cuts and grew a culture. I have group B strep. I have never been pregnant. He prescribed amoxicillin. I hope it gets rid of it for good.

Comment from: Group B Strep, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 16

I have just been diagnosed as having group B strep after a PAP smear test. I kept on having re-occurring thrush for many years, and I still get it. I have been treated with antibiotics. I have not gone back to the doctors to see if it has cleared.

Comment from: AN Cruz, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 16

When I was pregnant, I was always looking up what kind of tests they would be doing during pregnancy. One stood out: group B strep. Since I was always being tested for something, I thought they tested me for it. I was shocked to find out that my almost 2-month-old had it after I took her to the hospital for a 101 degree fever and moaned as if she was in pain. It surprised me because she was fine the day before. She was admitted to the hospital, was poked and probed until they found out what was wrong. She was put on antibiotics for 10 days.

Comment from: she-ra, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 16

This is my second pregnancy with group B strep, and knock on wood, I haven't had any complications. My daughter is three years old now and in perfect health. I'm being induced next Friday for my son. I simply go in a few hours early and get an IV antibiotic. It's simple; it's not that bad. Also, my pediatrician still released us after 24 hours as opposed to 48!

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I have had several yeast infections and cases of bacterial vaginosis over the past three years. Recently, I started taking Prozac, and then I had what I thought was another case of bacterial vaginosis one week before my period, which had been happening every month for three months. I went in and had a pap smear, and they said it was Group B strep.

Comment from: Mollyolly, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 08

I have had group strep B twice now. The first time, it just felt like a normal UTI. The second time, it felt like a UTI with a yeast infection. The antibiotics clear it up fine, but I seem to have trouble with this and UTIs.

Comment from: hildee, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 07

I'm 71 years old and after having my annual blood tests, the results of my urine test came back with a group B strep infection, which I found out is usually only found in pregnant women. I had been having a full and uncomfortable feeling in my bladder but no pain to speak of.

Comment from: Deb, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 02

I was misdiagnosed with yeast infections for almost 10 years. I asked for the culture to be done, and it came back positive for strep b. While taking the penicillin, I developed an allergic reaction. I am searching for another treatment course.

Comment from: strepbpat, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 31

Before I knew I had group B strep, doctors tried for a year to treat me for yeast. It didn't work, so then they tried to treat me for a bacterial infection, then yeast, and back and forth. Finally, after becoming pregnant for the second time, I got diagnosed with B strep and was prescribed ampicillin. I was cured! I've had it twice since then, and I keep asking for my ampicillin.

Group B Strep - Treatments Question: What was the most effective treatment for your group B strep?
Group B Strep - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your group B strep infection?