Patient Comments: Group B Strep - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with group B strep.

Comment from: kay, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 06

I have been dealing with "vaginitis" for 5 years. I was diagnosed first with a yeast infection and then a bacterial infection by 3 doctors and one NP. Two weeks ago a family doctor finally diagnosed me with B Strep during a routine pap smear. I'm on my first round of antibiotics. Symptoms: extreme dryness, itchiness, extremely painful intercourse, and discharge. Finally, there is an answer, although the doctor said that I'll probably be dealing with this for the rest of my life. I wonder why I haven't been diagnosed with this sooner, I've had 3 kids in those five years.

Comment from: 60yroldfemale, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

In January 2013 I was diagnosed with group B strep and a urinary tract infection after a urine culture. I had lower left groin pain and lower left back pain, along with headaches, joint pain, and swollen armpits. I had a cystoscopy in January 2013 and was ok. Now in September 2013 I got the same diagnosis by lab tests at my general practitioner. I go back to the urologist next week.

Comment from: Luvmyamstaff, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I was diagnosed with a yeast infection in my belly button and under my breasts. I was given creams and powder which helped the itch but did not cure the infection. I then had cultures taken of my belly button and tongue along with blood test. They showed that I have Strep B. I'm now on antibiotics.

Comment from: elfin_delight, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I am pregnant with my first child and am to give birth to her sometime in the next three weeks. I am 37 weeks now and found out during my doctor visit that I tested positive for Group B Strep. I will be given antibiotics when I go into labor but I still can't help but feel scared, especially for my daughter. It is nice to feel not so alone.

Comment from: Dora, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 15

When I went to the hospital in labor back in 1976 they tested me for the group B strep because they said it was showing up with lots mothers to be south of town. I gave birth to my daughter about an hour later. Two days later they took her away from me saying I had tested positive and she tested positive with it in the nose and throat. They gave her the heavy duty antibiotics and we both went home 3 days later. She was perfectly healthy but did have some learning problems in school. My doctor said this was something my husband and I passed back and forth but if it's not sexually transmitted why would he have told me that?

Comment from: strepbmom, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 26

I was diagnosed with group B strep at about 12 weeks pregnant. The OB/GYN started me on amoxicillin, which I took for my entire pregnancy. I was retested at 36 weeks and showed no signs of the group B strep. My water broke at 3 a.m. and when labor was going slowly, I was given IV antibiotics during delivery. My very healthy son, now 11 years old, was born without any signs of the group B strep. They watched him for two days, and we were sent home with no complications. This treatment obviously worked very well for me and my son and didn't seem to have any severe side effects.

Comment from: Dee, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 26

My son was diagnosed with bacterial meningitis at 11 days old in February 2001. I was told that I could not have done anything to contribute to this. He was hospitalized for three weeks and treated with three antibiotics. They said he would probably be mentally retarded, but he is a healthy 8-year-old. Now I'm four months pregnant, and I'm so worried this might happen again. I decided to use some of the testing they have now, and I'm starting to realize that I could have possibly passed this group B strep to my son. I plan to get tested and follow through with additional tests as needed now that I have been fully informed. I beg any other pregnant women to get tested as well because my son was fatally ill.

Group B Strep - Treatments Question: What was the most effective treatment for your group B strep?
Group B Strep - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your group B strep infection?