Patient Comments: Group B Strep - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with group B strep.

Comment from: tdopp, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

In 2004 I found out I was a group B strep carrier when I went in for my 20 week routine ultrasound. During the ultrasound they found I was starting to dilate and sent me to the hospital to meet with high risk obstetrician. They did an amino and it came back positive for infection. Somehow the group B strep crossed the membranes and infected the amniotic sac. My water broke the next morning and we chose to induce labor. Our baby boy was born at 21 weeks and lived with us for about a half hour after birth. I personally feel that although rare this can happen and testing at 35 weeks is too late. I miscarried the following year and finally 23 months later we had a healthy baby boy. I took antibiotics throughout my pregnancy after my first trimester knowing it was a viable pregnancy. I was positive before taking the antibiotics and negative at my 35 week test. When I had my fist baby my state did not routinely test for it during pregnancy. My oldest was hospitalized when he was only seven weeks old. In hindsight, most doctors now think it was secondary onset of Group B that caused his unknown fever and hospitalized him for 2 days.

Comment from: poh, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

I tested negative at 36 weeks for strep B, but when my daughter was born, we both were very ill with strep B. My water had broken and then I was in labor for 18 hours, before finally doing an emergency C-section. My daughter had to be resuscitated at birth and has learning disabilities. We were lucky that she lived. She spent 10 days in the hospital, I spent 5. I was so sick the first 2 days that I was not coherent. After that experience, I was scared to have my next child. I had scheduled deliveries with antibiotics before the deliveries. My next 2 children are fine. If my daughter ever had children, I would have her take antibiotics before the delivery as a precaution. I have always had yeast infections, so that was interesting to learn that there is relation. I wonder if men can be carriers of strep B.

Comment from: 55-64 Female Published: May 20

Within 3 weeks after my daughter's birth she became I'll and I was told she had meningitis due to strep bacteria. It left her blind, with cerebral palsy and severely retarded. She died at age 16. I was never told how she contracted it. At the time we had assumed somebody with strep throat had gotten in contact with her. I found out myself later what Group B Strep was and asked my doctors to test me for group B strep in my other 3 pregnancies. From then on I begged every pregnant woman I met to spend the $25 for the test. When my younger daughter became pregnant, she was tested at 37 weeks and tested negative. So you can imagine my horror when my newborn grandson was diagnosed with Group B Step when he was 3 hours old. He was talking to a bigger hospital 60 miles away where he was treated for a week than sent back to our small town hospital where he stayed another week. I am so glad to report he fully recovered and doesn't have any lasting affects. He is a smart, bright and oh so cute 2 1/2 year old and I am a very happy grandmother.

Comment from: littleangel, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I gave birth to a baby boy in 1992. I didn't know anything about Group B strep back then. They did not test for it then, nor did they mention it back then. However, I was obviously positive for it because my firstborn son was positive for it and died from it six hours and 18 minutes after he was born. I was told it was more common for boys to get it than girls. The following year, I gave birth to my daughter. My doctors of course treated me with lots of antibiotics before delivery because of my previous experience. My daughter was born free of GBS. Losing my son was a horrible way to get a lesson in GBS. I treasure my daughter, but I will forever miss my firstborn son. If you are a pregnant woman reading this, make sure you are tested for Group B strep. It can cause death.

Comment from: LM, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 04

This is the only place I have seen GBS and yeast infections together. I had severe "yeast infections" during my pregnancy which I treated, at my doctor's recommendation, with over-the-counter remedies several times; no improvement. I had excessive discharge but no odor/itching all the time. I did test positive for GBS during routine screening at 36 weeks of pregnancy and received antibiotics during labor. However, when I first went to the hospital, thinking my water had broken, I was told that I just had a severe yeast infection with discharge that my water had not broken. They sent me home. I truly believe my water had broken and my baby was probably exposed during the more than 24 hours between that time and when my baby was born. He had early-onset GBS, received NICU/antibiotics then, had late-onset at 5.5 weeks of age, with another hospitalization and IV antibiotics. It looks like the medical pros did what they were supposed to do, except that a GBS infection was not suspected or treated during my pregnancy. Thank God our son is just fine. Other two children have been born without any problem; I received treatment during labor with them also, of course.

Group B Strep - Treatments Question: What was the most effective treatment for your group B strep?
Group B Strep - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your group B strep infection?