Patient Comments: Group B Strep - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with group B strep.

Comment from: tinabonomo, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 25

When I was 23 I gave birth to a full term baby boy in 1995. He was doing well so I went to rest since I was in labor for over 8 hours with him. About 2 hours later I was awakened by the nurse telling me that they had to get blood from me and that they were trying to get my son stabilized. The nurse told me that they were going to transport him to the children's hospital because they didn't have the equipment there to treat him. My obstetrician/gynecologist (OB/GYN) came in shortly after that and he did a culture on me. It came back that I had group B strep. They were able to get my son's blood pressure stabilized and they transported him. My OB/GYN released me so that I could be with my son. As my husband showed up to take me to the hospital where they had transported my son we got a call at the hospital where he was born at and the paramedic proceeded to tell me that my son had passed away in the middle of transport. After I did further research on the group B infection it turned out that I had it in 1989 also when I gave birth to my daughter. She is mentally and physically disabled. Some of her mental disorders are sight impairment, hearing impairment and her feet quit growing. She's 25 and only wears a size 3 shoe. She also has 18 chromosomal disorder and that's where the rest of her disabilities falls in. Then in 1997 my husband and I gave birth to a healthy baby boy again but this time the doctor would not let me go into natural labor, he scheduled me to be induced a week early so that way they could give me antibiotics before the labor really kicked in. We now have a very healthy 16 year old but I always sit and wonder if it only took 30 seconds to swab the inside of the uterus why didn't the doctors test for that a long time ago. I have two very special children one my baby girl and two my guardian angel who passed away at 7 hours and 56 minutes old. All I can say to any pregnant woman is please get tested for this disease.

Comment from: Jemma, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 16

I have just found out that my daughter who only lived a precious 16 hours had developed pneumonia due to me having group B strep. The infection was severe and quickly spread when my waters where broken. I gave birth 3 hours after my waters broke, but the infection passed quickly giving her pneumonia which made her too weak to survive, I had never heard of strep B until a few hours ago. I never was tested for strep B, maybe if I was it may have saved her, but maybe not as it could have shown negative. It has destroyed me losing her, she was perfect in every way.

Comment from: Ladyb, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 18

Unknown to me I carried strep B. I had fever during labor, my hind waters had broken 22 hours previously and so my son was infected. The nurse said to me "why didn"t you tell us you had Strep B"? I had no idea what she was talking about and when I questioned it during our month long stay I was fobbed off. So second time around I told them what happened and they gave me antibiotic during labor, my second son only contracted surface strep so with a week of antibiotics he was ok. But the past three years I have suffered with hives, starting at the ankle and going up the body, dry scaly skin patch rashes to my legs, joint pain, weakness to muscles and tendon injuries, allergy increase, hair loss, breathing difficulties, brittle nails, clicking joints, one after the other sinus and urine infections, verrucas and skin tags, bloating, and burning knees. And it's just this week after much research into each of the above I learned that they can all be linked back to Strep B or A. I called the doctors and asked them to check my blood for it. I also had an extremely low vitamin D level of 7 and very low foliates which I rectified but a month after, it returned to the above state, including anaphylaxis. I am so onto this on Monday and will keep you posted.

Comment from: GroupBSurvivor91, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

I was born May 25th 1991 with group B streptococcus. Within the first week that I was born I was rushed back to the hospital where my doctor told my parents that I had the infection. I was immediately taken from them where I was then hooked up to many machines as well as hooked up to a heart monitor and seizure monitor. My parents told me that I am very lucky to be alive. I stayed in the hospital for two weeks fighting the infection not even a month old. Both of my parents remind me every day about how fortunate I am to be here, and I believe I am as well. With all of the medication I took I'm really lucky to be here. I am now 22 with a son of my own who was not born with the infection and I am so grateful for that.

Comment from: priscilla, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I was 30 weeks pregnant when my twin boys were delivered by C-section. Four hours before delivery my nurse told me my oldest son's heart rate had increased. The doctor came to my room with an ultrasound machine and we both watched him for an hour. My son was not breathing or moving. I knew something was wrong, but I did not know what. After he was born, the doctor said "he was just sleeping." After suffering from a fever overnight, I was finally able to see my boys in the NICU late in the evening. The NICU nurse told me he had strep B and my heart sank. I asked the nurse how this can be; he was delivered by C-section. The nurse told me I had strep B and took an antibiotic before surgery. It was too late for my son to feel the effect of the antibiotic. I knew I had placenta abruption but to add strep B to it made things worse. I was upset the blood test was not done earlier to prevent him from getting the infection. I am glad he recovered from the infection within a week and will be one year old in two weeks. Thankfully my youngest son did not get the infection but was given antibiotics as a precaution.

Group B Strep - Treatments Question: What was the most effective treatment for your group B strep?
Group B Strep - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your group B strep infection?