What other names is Greater Celandine known by?
Bai Qu Cai, Celandine, Celandine Herb, Celandine Root, Celidonia Mayor, Chelidonii, Chelidonii Herba, Chelidonium majus, Grande Chélidoine, Grande Éclaire, Greater Celandine Above Ground Parts, Greater Celandine Rhizome, Greater Celandine Root, Herbe à Verrues, Herbe aux Verrues, Parties Aériennes de la Grande Chélidoine, Racine de Chélidoine, Racine de Grande Chélidoine, Rhizome de Chélidoine, Rhizome de la Grande Chélidoine, Schollkraut, Tetterwort, Verruguera.
What is Greater Celandine?
Greater celandine is a plant. The dried above-ground parts, root, and rhizome (underground stem) are used to make medicine. Don't confuse greater celandine with lesser celandine (Family: Ranunculus ficaria).
Greater celandine is used for various problems with the digestive tract including upset stomach
, irritable bowel syndrome
, loss of appetite
, stomach cancer
, intestinal polyps, and liver
and gallbladder disorders. Other uses include detoxification, treating menstrual cramps
, breast lumps
, chest pain
), fluid retention (edema
), "hardening of the arteries
), high blood pressure
, and osteoarthritis
Some people apply greater celandine directly to the skin for warts
, genital warts
, rashes, eczema
, and scabies
; and to the gums for tooth pain
and to ease tooth extraction. The fresh root is also chewed to relieve toothache
Possibly Effective for...
- Upset stomach (dyspepsia). Some research suggests that taking a specific product (Iberogast, Medical Futures, Inc) containing greater celandine, peppermint leaf, German chamomile, caraway, licorice, clown's mustard plant, lemon balm, angelica, and milk thistle by mouth for 4 weeks reduces severity of acid reflux, stomach pain, cramping, nausea, and vomiting.
Insufficient Evidence to Rate Effectiveness for...
- Bile disorders. Some early research suggests that taking a specific extract containing greater celandine and turmeric (Cholagogum F Nattermann) by mouth reduces pain in patients with a bile disorder called biliary dyskinesia.
- Cancer. Early research suggests that injecting a specific greater celandine product (Ukrain) intravenously under medical supervision improves survival in some people with colorectal, bladder, pancreatic, or breast cancer. However, the studies showing this benefit have been criticized because they weren't well designed. Also some research shows that high doses of this product may be poisonous. Still, other early research shows that taking a solution of a greater celandine mixture by mouth for 2 weeks might have antitumor effects in people with cancer of the esophagus.
- Blister rashes.
- Pain and swelling (inflammation).
- Loss of appetite.
- Stomach flu.
- High blood pressure.
- Spasms in the digestive tract.
- Irregular menstrual periods.
- Other conditions.
More evidence is needed to rate the effectiveness of greater celandine for these uses.
Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database rates effectiveness based on scientific evidence according to the following scale: Effective, Likely Effective, Possibly Effective, Possibly Ineffective, Likely Ineffective, and Insufficient Evidence to Rate (detailed description of each of the ratings).