Patient Comments: Graves' Disease - Treatment

How is your Graves' disease treated? What medications do you take?

Comment from: Mom2, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

I was diagnosed with Graves' disease 3 weeks ago and I flat out told my doctor I was not taking any medication that would cause me to gain weight. I cannot take the radioactive iodine (RAI) because I have two young children. I"ve seen the women in my family go from a size 2 to a size 12 in a short amount of time and I have hidden my body image disorder that I have been treating for over 15 years. I saw a surgeon this morning and will be having surgery in 2 weeks. My thoughts are, 90% of people who have Graves' disease are stuck taking anti-thyroid medications for 18 to 20 months before either the disease goes into remission or it requires surgery. I was firm with my doctor and said if I was most likely going to have surgery, then do it now. Either way you"re on a thyroid medication for most of your life anyway, why not be the one that doesn"t make you gain weight. Stop suffering and take charge of your health; you"re the patient, speak up and be honest.

Comment from: jmb, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I had been on methimazole 5mg daily s' disease, for 5 years. Then my endocrinologist dropped me to 2.5 a day. This new endocrinologist took me off it totally in November. I feel like awful. I have gained weight, am cold all the time. I have chills at night and am achy. I asked her if I could go back on my medications. She did blood work and reported my thyroid is functioning. I have a goiter. I give up.

Comment from: Nan_inthesun, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I started out on methimazole, 20 mg twice a day, and have been up and down in terms of my dose. I have been unable to achieve remission through oral medications, but I want to keep trying as long as I can without any side effects from it. I also take propranolol which is a beta blocker, and Alprazolam for anxiety. I was already on fluoxetine for depression.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

I started on carbimazole 20m for Graves' disease but my doctor has increased to 45m, 3 in the morning 3 at noon and 3 at night now.

Graves' Disease - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms associated with your Graves' disease?
Graves' Disease - Causes Question: What was the possible cause of your Graves' disease?
Graves' Disease - Pregnancy Question: Please discuss how you managed your Graves' disease during your pregnancy.