Patient Comments: Graves' Disease - Causes

What was the possible cause of your Graves' disease?

Comment from: Artteacher, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I was diagnosed with Graves' disease at age 29. No one in my family has ever had any thyroid issues. My diagnosis came a month after my mother lost a 3 year battle with breast cancer. My endocrinologist suggested I most likely developed this due to prolonged, high levels of stress. I had not felt well for months, and had extreme fatigue, and noticed my heart raced even when I had been lying down and resting for a while. I only went to my family doctor because my feet and ankles were very swollen and I had never had that happen before.

Comment from: Nan_inthesun, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

Since I suffer from PTSD, it's conceivable that excessive stress kick started it, although there's no way to know for sure.

Comment from: Papoose, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 10

Nobody in my family had or has Graves' disease. I do not smoke or eat high salt foods. Seafood is limited in my diet. I had one anxiety attack in the year 2012. I do not live a stressful life. Unfortunately I have been diagnosed with Graves' disease, and it has attacked my body in such a way as: 60lb weight loss, hair loss, I tire extremely easy, rapid heartbeat, shortness of my breath, asthmatic symptoms, and my beautiful face has these pockets under my eyes!

Graves' Disease - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms associated with your Graves' disease?
Graves' Disease - Treatment Question: How is your Graves' disease treated? What medications do you take?
Graves' Disease - Pregnancy Question: Please discuss how you managed your Graves' disease during your pregnancy.