Patient Comments: Graves' Disease - Symptoms

What were the symptoms associated with your Graves' disease?

Comment from: Lynda, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 28

I developed Graves' disease after a robbery at gunpoint. About three weeks after it occurred, I woke up in the morning to have my coffee and found myself shaking and unable to lift the cup or even hold a spoon, the trembling was so bad. After that I started to lose hair and my finger nails became quite deformed. Heart palpitating and sweating soon followed. I was so conscious that I wouldn't leave my home. Once before diagnosis I had a couple shots of whiskey before attending an affair to calm myself and control the tremors. When diagnosed, I was emaciated, had high blood pressure and depression, as well as light and temperature reactions. It got so bad that I wouldn't leave the house, the muscle weakness interfered with climbing the steps, my balance was off and I held on to the rails. If I was carrying a gallon of water I had to put it on each step as I made my way up the steps. The fatigue stopped me in my tracks from working out! I had no energy, and a feeling like I was stuck in quicksand, my legs were so weak, and my core was in very bad shape so much that if I sat on the floor, I couldn't get back up! I attributed this to a fall I had taken. I later found out just what the thyroid controls. Looking back on it I had every single symptom minus the thyroid storm, but was also heading in that direction.

Comment from: Nan_inthesun, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

The symptoms were tachycardia, trembling, sweating, weight loss, irritability, anxiety, dry skin/hair/nails, trouble swallowing and heat sensitivity. I've been on treatment with methimazole, and it does help, but I am all over the map with how I respond. I either go hypo, or bounce around the map on the hyper side. I have a lot of muscle and joint pain, kind of like I have the flu. I also have peripheral neuropathy although it's not terrible.

Comment from: Pattie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 10

I just was diagnosed with Graves' disease. The pills for my pounding heart are working, but the Tapazole is making me so dizzy!

Graves' Disease - Causes Question: What was the possible cause of your Graves' disease?
Graves' Disease - Treatment Question: How is your Graves' disease treated? What medications do you take?
Graves' Disease - Pregnancy Question: Please discuss how you managed your Graves' disease during your pregnancy.