Patient Comments: Gout - Treatments

What was your treatment for gout?

Comment from: Mike, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 03

I had my first attack of gout 17 years ago. I tried everything. I am not a fan of pills, so I started different natural treatments. I have found all natural tart cherry juice to work. I drink about an ounce or more a week depending on how much beer and steak I go through.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: Clarence, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 18

I have never had a gout attack in 70 years but my father had them frequently. I am not overweight and never sit still. After an active day with drinking minimal water my foot had a numbness/charley horse like sensation, not painful but it was there. Within about 3 hours I could not walk on my foot. I remembered the gout of my father and read up on the causes. Food wise and alcohol wise I tend to be middle of the road some but not excessive. Then I noticed drinking water to flush the uric acid. So in the next 4 hours I drank as much water as I could, probably a gallon. Then I noticed my foot had a tingling -like mini touches (maybe blood circulation). After about a total of 8 hours my foot started feeling significantly better. After a full night's sleep I can barely tell I had a problem.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: kammeres, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 02

The cause of my gout symptoms is quite novel: in Feb 2007 while dancing in a nightclub with my wife, an extremely overweight woman lost her balance and stomped on my right foot. She went over 300lbs easily and was wearing high heel shoes, so the full force of her body weight was concentrated at the heel tip on the top of my foot. The next morning my foot was swollen so large I could not lace up my boot. It was very painful to walk on, also. The doctor diagnosed it as gout brought on by trauma and prescribed naproxen. The swelling went away after a week, but since that time I've had about five or six recurrent episodes in either foot brought on by seemingly nothing other than exposure to very cold temperatures or incidental impact of my foot against heavy objects in the course of my work. Episodes last about a week, and then pain and swelling subside. I found this site very helpful, I had never considered Aleve as a potential medicine for treatment.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: dong321, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 12

The best way to treat gout is to catch it when it's starting. I've had it since my early 20s. It starts in my big toe with a hot, sensitive, and throbbing pain that travels into my ankle with a sharp pain that makes it unbearable to walk on. It finally settles back into the toe with a dry, tender pain (less intense than the beginning of it). There were a few times that I was able to catch it early, and sometimes I would go a few years without a prolonged attack. But every year, regardless, the symptoms emerge. When you begin to feel the slightest tingle or abnormality, grab yourself a couple extra-strength Advils. If you catch it early, it won't even begin to swell and it won't develop further. Also, drink lots of water. If, by chance, you are unfortunate enough to develop extreme symptoms, continue to take the Advil, as instructed on the label or by your doctor. Avoid fatty foods and stay off your feet. If you need to take time off work – especially after a few days when it gets into a more tender area – go to the doctor for that note. If you can't take Advil, your doctor will probably prescribe something for you. Again, the best way to try to prevent a gout attack is to take action immediately.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: big dad, 45-54 Male Published: November 30

I had my first attack of gout when I was 34 years old. I was going through a relationship crisis and the stress was unbearable. That's when I had a most horrendous pain in my big toe which I couldn't figure out what was going on until I limped in to my doctor. I believe stress and alcohol are triggering factors. Unbelievable pain. I have been prescribed indomethacin over the years and it seems to work pretty well for me but I over did it once and was very sick for a day.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: karen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 06

I have had gout for 2 years now! The best thing i have found to take is Sweet Cherry Tart pills (found at Swanson Health)...I take one a day or if i eat shell fish i will take 2! Works great for me and its natural and cheaper than a prescription!

Was this comment helpful?Yes

Patient Comments

Viewers share their comments

Gout - Symptoms Question: What gout symptoms and signs have you experienced?
Gout - Treatment Question: What treatment has been effective for your gout?
Gout - Diet Question: Please share your experience with diet and nutrition.
Gout - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with gout.

Patient Comments are not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your physician or other qualified health provider because of something you have read on MedicineNet. The opinions expressed in the comments section are of the author and the author alone. MedicineNet does not endorse any specific product, service or treatment.

Alert If you think you have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately.


Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration

You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.