Patient Comments: Gout - Experience

Please describe your experience with gout.

Comment from: david, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 04

I am sorry to say I have never watched my diet and the result of it has been, about every 6 months my gout will start to act up. At that point I will take one 100 milligram pill of indomethacin and I'm good for about another 6 months. When I first found out I had the gout about 26 years ago I would get a flare up once a week which left a huge lump on the side of my foot the size of a ping pong ball. It's still there, I need to have it removed.

Comment from: bonsaijames, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 11

This was my first experience with gout. I awoke from sleep with 8 of 10 pain in left big toe. I thought it was fractured, as I have done in the past, but couldn"t walk on it. I suffered for two days and went in to the doctor. It kept getting worse; anything touching it caused pain radiating up my leg. I have a new respect for gout sufferers as I treated many as a paramedic. It hurts so much the pinched nerve from a broken spine was muted. I thank all those who write in these posts. I just stopped eating candy. It is still difficult to walk but the pain is much easier while staying in my recliner, with foot elevated. Although when lowering to the ground my foot feels like fire and as if it will burst open from swelling. I use crutches to get around as long as it doesn"t bounce too much; way better than walking on it. I look at it as a blessing which has distracted my pain and spasms which eventually immobilizes me.

Comment from: Florida Male, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 11

Painful is the best way to describe it. During a gout attack, the pain is overwhelming and it is difficult to explain to your spouse or partner. No over the counter, or prescription pain remedy works. The only immediate pain relief is soaking your affected foot in hot water with Epsom Salt. The pain will be reduced and it will allow the blood vessels to expand and flush out the uric acid in your blood with a lot of water. Also, wrapping your foot with a good heating pad is good as well. This way you can lay down and have your foot surrounded by heat. Things to avoid with gout pain relief: aspirin, ice, cold weather or even cold floors - keep it warm, no topical pain relief creams will be able to get deep enough. Heat is the best option with a lot of water.

Gout - Symptoms Question: What gout symptoms and signs have you experienced?
Gout - Treatment Question: What treatment has been effective for your gout?
Gout - Diet Question: Please share your experience with diet and nutrition.