Patient Comments: Gout - Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your gout?

Comment from: Mike, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 03

I had my first attack of gout 17 years ago. I tried everything. I am not a fan of pills, so I started different natural treatments. I have found all natural tart cherry juice to work. I drink about an ounce or more a week depending on how much beer and steak I go through.

Comment from: Clarence, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 18

I have never had a gout attack in 70 years but my father had them frequently. I am not overweight and never sit still. After an active day with drinking minimal water my foot had a numbness/charley horse like sensation, not painful but it was there. Within about 3 hours I could not walk on my foot. I remembered the gout of my father and read up on the causes. Food wise and alcohol wise I tend to be middle of the road some but not excessive. Then I noticed drinking water to flush the uric acid. So in the next 4 hours I drank as much water as I could, probably a gallon. Then I noticed my foot had a tingling -like mini touches (maybe blood circulation). After about a total of 8 hours my foot started feeling significantly better. After a full night's sleep I can barely tell I had a problem.

Comment from: Steve, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 06

I have had two bouts with the gout and now know the pain associated. I had blood work done with a 9 reading for uric acid. My doctor said that wasn't real high but I still got a second bout. I found that on the first case that cherries and the juice helped with treating it. Also I went on a diet not excluding the alcohol and a second bout accrued. I am now going to try the B -12s with extra B-6 and PABA. Hope this keeps me from starting medication. I am cutting the alcohol too!

Comment from: kammeres, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 02

The cause of my gout symptoms is quite novel: in Feb 2007 while dancing in a nightclub with my wife, an extremely overweight woman lost her balance and stomped on my right foot. She went over 300lbs easily and was wearing high heel shoes, so the full force of her body weight was concentrated at the heel tip on the top of my foot. The next morning my foot was swollen so large I could not lace up my boot. It was very painful to walk on, also. The doctor diagnosed it as gout brought on by trauma and prescribed naproxen. The swelling went away after a week, but since that time I've had about five or six recurrent episodes in either foot brought on by seemingly nothing other than exposure to very cold temperatures or incidental impact of my foot against heavy objects in the course of my work. Episodes last about a week, and then pain and swelling subside. I found this site very helpful, I had never considered Aleve as a potential medicine for treatment.

Comment from: dong321, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 12

The best way to treat gout is to catch it when it's starting. I've had it since my early 20s. It starts in my big toe with a hot, sensitive, and throbbing pain that travels into my ankle with a sharp pain that makes it unbearable to walk on. It finally settles back into the toe with a dry, tender pain (less intense than the beginning of it). There were a few times that I was able to catch it early, and sometimes I would go a few years without a prolonged attack. But every year, regardless, the symptoms emerge. When you begin to feel the slightest tingle or abnormality, grab yourself a couple extra-strength Advils. If you catch it early, it won't even begin to swell and it won't develop further. Also, drink lots of water. If, by chance, you are unfortunate enough to develop extreme symptoms, continue to take the Advil, as instructed on the label or by your doctor. Avoid fatty foods and stay off your feet. If you need to take time off work – especially after a few days when it gets into a more tender area – go to the doctor for that note. If you can't take Advil, your doctor will probably prescribe something for you. Again, the best way to try to prevent a gout attack is to take action immediately.

Comment from: Allan, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 06

I suffered with gout from around 35 to 65 years old. I took many courses of action, including almost all of the drugs mentioned here. The pain was so bad one day I tried something I had read about but didn't quite believe: a teaspoon of baking soda in a glass of water gradually reducing over a one-week period. From the first day, the pain went and after five years has not returned.

Gout - Symptoms Question: What gout symptoms and signs have you experienced?
Gout - Diet Question: Please share your experience with diet and nutrition.
Gout - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with gout.