Patient Comments: Gout - Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your gout?

Comment from: gramma, 65-74 Female Published: December 06

I first experienced about three years ago; it was so painful and unbearable that I couldn't even touch it. The home remedy I used was potato peelings, and it worked for me. I peeled the potato into the widest strip I could and placed it directly where the pain was. I wrapped gauze to keep them in place. The next morning I woke up with no gout! Remembering that this was a home remedy, I was quite skeptical about it. Now I have changed my opinion. Thanks for letting me share.

Comment from: big dad, 45-54 Male Published: November 30

I had my first attack of gout when I was 34 years old. I was going through a relationship crisis and the stress was unbearable. That's when I had a most horrendous pain in my big toe which I couldn't figure out what was going on until I limped in to my doctor. I believe stress and alcohol are triggering factors. Unbelievable pain. I have been prescribed indomethacin over the years and it seems to work pretty well for me but I over did it once and was very sick for a day.

Comment from: bkb, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 15

I am 45 just experienced my first experience with gout. The pain is way too much to bear. I've been to two er in two days because of this the first nothing for the pain and did the blood work for gout and positive as I laid there in such pain that i thought I could die and sent me home with naproxen. Then as the night progressed so did the gout back to the ER and was given something for the pain but the pain is there and Indocin which I just started so we will see. I hope to never get it again it has been very painful and I feel all your pain. My 1st episode was my right big toe which my whole foot was triple the size of the other. I wish you all the best in this horrible thing they call gout that we have. I hope to never get it again but that's not likely.

Comment from: Syd, 25-34 Male Published: October 25

I am 31 and have suffered intermittently since the age of 17 in three different positions. Left ankle, left mid foot and generally the most excruciating, not to say the other spots aren't, my right big toe. Allopurinol once daily is the only treatment i was lucky enough after so many painful years to be prescribed that has worked. To stop taking this medication though is super painful again which I have found out the hard way, very hard way!

Comment from: Jenner, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 10

Drink yellow ginger brew regularly. Boil fresh yellow ginger with water and make it your beverage for the whole day. Me, I take 1 to 2 liters a day of warm brew. I've been doing this for over a year now. It still attacks once in a while, but it's not like before that it takes 3 to 7 days before the swelling and pain is gone. Whenever I feel some symptoms of my gout, I immediately take 2 colchicine and 1 diclofenac sodium. Just overnight and its gone. It really helps me a lot. I can now go to work regularly and doesn't worry of what I eat.

Comment from: Milan, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 03

I have had gout for more than 25 years now. Over the years, it would occur every two months and it would last a week or so on my knees, ankles, and feet. Medications didn't help much. I read an article where doctors discussed the use of orange juice. I now drink a large glass of pure orange juice every day and have been gout-free for a year and a half now, except my last birthday. I drank way too much booze and my gout attack lasted a week. Pure orange juice works. Check with your doctor every so often, just to be on the safe side.

Comment from: Pip, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 21

I have had gout attacks in all major joints, currently in my right knee, middle right finger, left index finger, and my left knee is still weak from previous bouts with gout! I have had my left knee drained many times and now it has finally found my right knee. I have not figured out what causes gout flare-ups. Some people suggest too much red meat, but this past Thanksgiving it hit me in my right ankle like a burning torch. Turkey? Who knows? My best preventive medication has been one Colchicine and two Indocin pills. Now I've just found out that Colchicine is not available, and I had to purchase Colcrys at $160 for 30 tablets. I have friends that suffer from gout also, and we always try to see if there is something new out there. Lord help us all!

Gout - Symptoms Question: What gout symptoms and signs have you experienced?
Gout - Diet Question: Please share your experience with diet and nutrition.
Gout - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with gout.