Patient Comments: Gout - Symptoms

What gout symptoms and signs have you experienced?

Comment from: Bigbird, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 18

I am just getting over a severe gout attack that took me over a day to get under control. I have had a few over the years but this one snuck up on me and I had to really work at it to get the pain under control. My secret to quick and effective control is colchicine and I can usually get the pain subsiding in a couple of hours. The drawback is that it can affect the stomach if abused so I try to limit myself to 6 pills per incident. This time it took 8. Some soreness will remain in the joint for a few days but nothing like the original attack where even a bed sheet touching it was excruciating pain. I have isolated the cause to be a certain brand of rum and the high fructose content of coca cola. Sadly, these items will have to be eliminated from my diet if I want to prevent future attacks.

Comment from: Kats n dogs, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 06

I suffer from gout, as did my mother. Mine, however, did not start in my big toe; it started in the toe next to it on both of my feet. I take 1 tbsp of concentrated cherry juice twice a day at the first sign of a flare-up and 1 tbsp of concentrated cherry juice once a week as a preventative method. So far it has worked.

Comment from: Babyface, 65-74 Female Published: December 06

I was born and reared in the South and enjoy home-cooked soul food that is well-seasoned. I am 73 and never had any problems until now. My feet are swollen and burn, my thumb hurts, and it's hard to screw off and on tops of containers and jars.

Comment from: bhdj, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 06

I am a 71-year-old male. My gout is in my big toe on the left foot. It just recently started. My doctor has me on 50 mg of indomethacin three times per day. I am on my third day of taking it, and so far I can tell no difference. This is the first time that I have had it. I had something in my big toe on my right foot a couple of years ago. I soaked it in hot Epsom salt water and it went away. I tried that this time but it didn't work.

Gout - Treatment Question: What treatment has been effective for your gout?
Gout - Diet Question: Please share your experience with diet and nutrition.
Gout - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with gout.