Patient Comments: Gout - Symptoms

What gout symptoms and signs have you experienced?

A Doctor's View on Gout Symptoms

Read the Comment by Charles Patrick Davis, MD, PhD

The primary symptom of gout is pain in the feet, hands, knees, ankles, fingers, elbows, and big toe due to the buildup of uric acid crystals in the joints. The affected joints may also cause warmth, swelling, and reddish skin. Arthritis can result from gout. Read the entire Doctor's View

Comment from: Bigbird, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 18

I am just getting over a severe gout attack that took me over a day to get under control. I have had a few over the years but this one snuck up on me and I had to really work at it to get the pain under control. My secret to quick and effective control is colchicine and I can usually get the pain subsiding in a couple of hours. The drawback is that it can affect the stomach if abused so I try to limit myself to 6 pills per incident. This time it took 8. Some soreness will remain in the joint for a few days but nothing like the original attack where even a bed sheet touching it was excruciating pain. I have isolated the cause to be a certain brand of rum and the high fructose content of coca cola. Sadly, these items will have to be eliminated from my diet if I want to prevent future attacks.

Comment from: John S, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 06

I've had gout for about five years now and it is getting worse with each attack. The last one was the worst. It has lasted about a month so far and still hasn't gone away. I could barely walk for the first couple of days with the aid of a cane. I took Colcrys but didn't get it in time. Now I'm walking, but just barely. I'm close to 100lbs overweight and need to lose weight for this and other reasons, and also change my diet. The pain is in my big toe joint and ankle. It was going away but had another flare up last weekend, possibly due to alcohol and dietary factors. I know there are products out there like Urcinol. It would be well worth it if they work but I'd like to hear some unbiased testimony.

Comment from: robert, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: December 05

I am 78 years old. I have had gout since I was around 65. I have been taking 300 mg of allopurinol for several years. I tried going without it once. Boy, did I suffer! My big toes hurt so bad until I got in the routine once again with allopurinol. This is a life time drug now. But the last 6 years I've also got stinging gout! It can be anywhere in your feet, starts out tickling, and you scratch it and it gets to stinging so bad it really is painful. This will show up once a month sometimes twice a month. It lasts around an hour every hour and then lets up. It can last 4 days. Lately I've been getting the same sensation in the cheek of my buttocks. I looked up uric instead of allopurinol but my uric acid is within limits. My VA (Veterans Affairs) nurse says that's the way it goes.

Published: July 24

I have been passing kidney stones for 2 years (12 in all). I still have 3 in my right kidney. I have had 10 hypostypsis and 2 laparoscopic surgeries. I also had a hysterectomy with in the two years. I have been taking Allopurinol for 1 year. I have been experiencing aches, swelling and discomfort in my fingers, ankles, and knees. I have this daily and my hands hurt so bad I'm losing sleep at night. My Uric Acid levels are normal so the doctors are saying it is not gout but they do not know what it is because all test are coming back normal. The things I read on the Gout website sounds like me except for the toe pain.

Published: May 29

I have severe swelling and pain in the primary toe of my left foot and in the ankle joint of my right foot. I am presently taking 50 mg of Indocin twice daily and have been drinking concentrated black cherry juice that is diluted with water.

Comment from: Kats n dogs, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 06

I suffer from gout, as did my mother. Mine, however, did not start in my big toe; it started in the toe next to it on both of my feet. I take 1 tbsp of concentrated cherry juice twice a day at the first sign of a flare-up and 1 tbsp of concentrated cherry juice once a week as a preventative method. So far it has worked.

Comment from: Babyface, 65-74 Female Published: December 06

I was born and reared in the South and enjoy home-cooked soul food that is well-seasoned. I am 73 and never had any problems until now. My feet are swollen and burn, my thumb hurts, and it's hard to screw off and on tops of containers and jars.

Gout - Treatment Question: What treatment has been effective for your gout?
Gout - Diet Question: Please share your experience with diet and nutrition.
Gout - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with gout.