Patient Comments: Gout - Symptoms

What gout symptoms and signs have you experienced?

A Doctor's View on Gout Symptoms

Read the Comment by Charles Patrick Davis, MD, PhD

The primary symptom of gout is pain in the feet, hands, knees, ankles, fingers, elbows, and big toe due to the buildup of uric acid crystals in the joints. The affected joints may also cause warmth, swelling, and reddish skin. Arthritis can result from gout. Read the entire Doctor's View

Comment from: Mango, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 16

I have had swollen left ankle for 6 months, no pain when walking, and slight pain to the touch. I have had many gout attacks the past 6 months. I took prednisone for two weeks, the swelling went away for a few days but came back, not as bad. I take allopurinol daily and colchicine when I have a gout attack. The doctors are baffled.

Comment from: freefaller0369@aol.c, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 15

I am 48 years old in good shape and woke up one morning with horrible pain on the side of my big toe. It's going on 2 weeks. I have taken and am still taking allopurinol and indomethacin, cherry juice and cherry pills from extract. I drink apple cider vinegar, vitamin C, GoutPro, etc. I drink a ton of water a day and urinate 8 times a day which is almost clear by the way. My pain has subsided a little but now my foot is pretty swollen. Not sure what's going on and what else can I do. I also eat lots of grapes and strawberries!

Comment from: Bigbird, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 18

I am just getting over a severe gout attack that took me over a day to get under control. I have had a few over the years but this one snuck up on me and I had to really work at it to get the pain under control. My secret to quick and effective control is colchicine and I can usually get the pain subsiding in a couple of hours. The drawback is that it can affect the stomach if abused so I try to limit myself to 6 pills per incident. This time it took 8. Some soreness will remain in the joint for a few days but nothing like the original attack where even a bed sheet touching it was excruciating pain. I have isolated the cause to be a certain brand of rum and the high fructose content of coca cola. Sadly, these items will have to be eliminated from my diet if I want to prevent future attacks.

Comment from: John S, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 06

I've had gout for about five years now and it is getting worse with each attack. The last one was the worst. It has lasted about a month so far and still hasn't gone away. I could barely walk for the first couple of days with the aid of a cane. I took Colcrys but didn't get it in time. Now I'm walking, but just barely. I'm close to 100lbs overweight and need to lose weight for this and other reasons, and also change my diet. The pain is in my big toe joint and ankle. It was going away but had another flare up last weekend, possibly due to alcohol and dietary factors. I know there are products out there like Urcinol. It would be well worth it if they work but I'd like to hear some unbiased testimony.

Comment from: robert, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: December 05

I am 78 years old. I have had gout since I was around 65. I have been taking 300 mg of allopurinol for several years. I tried going without it once. Boy, did I suffer! My big toes hurt so bad until I got in the routine once again with allopurinol. This is a life time drug now. But the last 6 years I've also got stinging gout! It can be anywhere in your feet, starts out tickling, and you scratch it and it gets to stinging so bad it really is painful. This will show up once a month sometimes twice a month. It lasts around an hour every hour and then lets up. It can last 4 days. Lately I've been getting the same sensation in the cheek of my buttocks. I looked up uric instead of allopurinol but my uric acid is within limits. My VA (Veterans Affairs) nurse says that's the way it goes.

Comment from: BeeBee, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 03

I had a gout attack over 34 years ago. I have taken allopurinol for all these years without any more attacks until this year. I have had several small attacks for which I have taken colchicine straight away with good effect. I am diabetic type 2 and have arthritis. I have recently read that people with gout should not eat potatoes, bread, and pasta. Eat low fat dairy foods and raspberries and blueberries. Luckily we can get the berries all the year round now. I drink very little alcohol and am not overweight. I have painful stinging in 2 of my toes now and I'm hoping my new diet will give me some relief.

Comment from: westcoastin, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 21

I have been to see over 9 doctors the past 2 years and their diagnosis is edema. But recently I came down with the same swollen, inflamed foot as before. Except this time, my big toe is very sore, along with 2nd and 3rd toes. It feels like my toes are crunched up in a very painful cramp, with no relief. It is extremely painful, and very hot with a sock on; I think it is gout.

Gout - Treatment Question: What treatment has been effective for your gout?
Gout - Diet Question: Please share your experience with diet and nutrition.
Gout - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with gout.