- Type 2 Diabetes: Learn the Warning Signs
- Diabetes Friendly Dining
- Type 2 Diabetes: Test Your Medical IQ
- What is glyburide/metformin tablets-oral, and how does it work (mechanism of action)?
- What brand names are available for glyburide/metformin tablets-oral?
- Is glyburide/metformin tablets-oral available as a generic drug?
- Do I need a prescription for glyburide/metformin tablets-oral?
- What are the uses for glyburide/metformin tablets-oral?
- What are the side effects of glyburide/metformin tablets-oral?
- What is the dosage for glyburide/metformin tablets-oral?
- Which drugs or supplements interact with glyburide/metformin tablets-oral?
- Is glyburide/metformin tablets-oral safe to take if I'm pregnant or breastfeeding?
- What else should I know about glyburide/metformin tablets-oral?
What is glyburide/metformin tablets-oral, and how does it work (mechanism of action)?
- Glucovance (glyburide/metformin) is a combination antidiabetic medication containing glyburide and metformin. Glucovance is used to improve blood glucose (sugar) control in adults with type 2 diabetes mellitus.
- Glyburide is a second generation oral sulfonylurea. It helps to lower blood glucose by stimulating the release of insulin, the hormone responsible for regulating blood glucose.
- Metformin is an oral biguanide antidiabetic agent. It decreases the production of glucose in the liver, decreases the absorption of glucose by the intestines, and increases the uptake and use of blood glucose by cells throughout the body.
- In clinical studies, glyburide/metformin therapy was observed to be superior in improving fasting plasma glucose, post-meal blood glucose, and HbA1c levels versus treatment with glyburide or metformin alone.
- Glucovance was approved by the FDA in July, 2000.
What brand names are available for glyburide/metformin tablets-oral?
Is glyburide/metformin tablets-oral available as a generic drug?
GENERIC AVAILABLE: Yes
Do I need a prescription for glyburide/metformin tablets-oral?
What are the uses for glyburide/metformin tablets-oral?
What are the side effects of glyburide/metformin tablets-oral?
The most common side effects include
Other commonly reported side effects with Glucovance therapy include
Other side effects include
- hypoglycemia (low blood glucose),
- blood disorders,
- decrease blood sodium levels,
- sensitivity to the sunlight,
- liver disease,
- hives, and
- hypersensitivity type reactions.
Metformin can cause a rare but serious condition known as lactic acidosis, a build-up of acid in the blood. Lactic acidosis can cause death and requires immediate treatment. Symptoms of lactic acidosis include
- muscle pain,
- pain in the stomach,
- difficulty breathing,
- dizziness, and
- slow or irregular heartbeat.
Patients suspected of having signs or symptoms of lactic acidosis must seek emergency medical help.
Quick GuideDiabetes Diet: Healthy Meal Plans for Diabetes-Friendly Eating
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Need help identifying pills and medications?
Use the pill identifier tool on RxList.