Patient Comments: Glaucoma - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your glaucoma?

Comment from: Timetraveller, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 13

When I saw an eye doctor for glaucoma the first time he said it had progressed to a point that surgery would be too risky and I could lose my sight completely. I had no symptoms whatsoever. I was sent there by a Walmart doctor who tested me for a new script for glasses. He saw a blood spot on my optic nerve. The doctor he sent me to said it was nothing but that I definitely had glaucoma and had it for a few years. I didn't start having symptoms and losing my sight until I was started on the drops. My eyes are gradually getting worse. I had to stop driving 5 years ago. My brother has glaucoma with pressure of 12 without drops. I think the drops are a useless scam and I will go blind with or without them because using them is not slowing my loss of sight down. It's like cancer. Chemo only cures 2 kinds of cancer using chemo on any other type is just lining the drug companies pockets with big profits. The medical profession is turning into one big ugly scam.

Comment from: susan, Female (Patient) Published: April 05

Hi, I am 55 yrs, old and have been on some kind of eye drops for glaucoma for 20 yrs., I have had the laser 5 times and this last time it did not help. My pressure runs from 23 - 30 but now it is up to 43 in both eyes and eye drops have all been exhausted or I am allergic to them so I am taking Acetazolamide pills (they are water pills) they seem to be working. I figured it out, I was on High blood pressure meds and went off them in January and one of those meds were water pills. Then I remembered my eye pressure went down when I first started the pills. fyi

Comment from: Robinson, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 01

I have been taking medications for open angle glaucoma for eighteen years. Over the period, i have used: 1st, TIMOPTOL in combination with Pilocapine eye drops. I used the drugs for about two years before I reacted to the timoptol. It lowered my heart rate to about 53 beats per minute. I infact experienced drop beats and was hospitalized. I then started on the combination of Betoptic, Pilocapine, and Diamox. I again reacted to Diamox. Thereafter, I was placed on Betoptic in combination with Pilocarpine and Xalatan. My eye pressure came to as low as between levels 8 and 14. In July/ Aug. 2009, My Doctor stopped my Pilocarpine. I am now on the combination of Travatan and Trusopt. The effect of my having to stop Pilocarpine is that I now use eye glasses for my sight, having lost my focus on both far and near objects because of my slow heart rate, my doctor now says I should stop Betoptic. I am reluctant to drop Betoptic, so I now have reduced my dosage of it to one drop per day. When I attended my clinic last earlier this month, my eye pressure was 15 in both eyes. I have been on the eye drops mainly, since I was diagnosed with the eye condition 18 years ago. The drugs are ok, but I strongly suggest that for every new patient special attention should be placed on the individual's pulse rate to avoid my type of experience.

Comment from: Guy, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 27

I was diagnosed with glaucoma when I was 5 in 1974. Since that time, I have had two operations and countless trips to the ophthalmologist. My mother and I would travel seven hours round-trip to see the nearest one. I am not telling you this for you to feel sorry for me, but I would like to send a message to say that is how important your eyes are. Without the expertise of the doctors and the resilience of my parents, I would not see anything. I would have missed out on all the things in life that are important. I am now 41, and the disease seems to be stable. My eye drops are Timoptol XE (once daily in each eye), Xalatan (once daily in each eye) and Alphagan (twice in the left eye daily).

Comment from: 19-24 Female Published: January 19

I am 20 years old and I was told by my eye doctor that my eye looks as if I have glaucoma. Although I was told when I was 15 to always check the pressure of my eyes, I threw caution to the wind. Now, I have been placed on Timolol eye drops. They help reduce pressure in my eyes.

Comment from: Mrs A Senior, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: June 01

I am female 76 years old glaucoma diagnosed 3 years ago sight now worse in left eye field vision poor Timoptol pm Zalatan am both give relief. I am seen yearly and this last visit because my sight had deteriorated and I am having some pain now going for laser treatment Also have cataracts in both eyes. My Consultant tells me he will remove them later. The cataracts not the eyes!!

Glaucoma - Risk Factors Question: Did you or a relative have any of the risk factors for glaucoma when diagnosed? If so, what were they?
Glaucoma - Symptoms Question: Describe the signs and symptoms associated with glaucoma in you, a friend, or relative.
Glaucoma - Diagnosis Question: What tests or exams led to a diagnosis of glaucoma?
Glaucoma - Surgery Experience Question: Please share your experience with surgery for glaucoma. Was this for you or a relative?