Patient Comments: Glaucoma - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your glaucoma?

Comment from: Not a test pig, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 21

WOW! I too went to a Wal-Mart doctor and she said that my pressures were high and had me using Travastan drops for 24 hours 1 drop an hour! The specialist she sent me too diagnosed me with right angle glaucoma. I too feel my eye has gotten worse since then because it was not that bad before. I need to find out the truth because if these drops are hurting me I'm not going to be pleasant with the eye doctor!

Comment from: bewell, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 25

I have glaucoma. It is hard to find good information on glaucoma. Doctors usually do not take time to explain glaucoma in such detail. Your site did! This is great information! We all must take care of our vision.

Published: July 08

I had the laser surgery to drain the fluid in my eye. One procedure was performed in my doctor's office, the other at the adjacent hospital outpatient. The pressure in both eyes dropped for about 11 months. The pressure is now back up pretty high. I am currently on Alphagan P, 0.1% twice daily. My eyes are often dry, and it feels as if something is in them. I have to apply eye moisture drops, yawn or blink. I am over 50, and I do not want to lose my sight. The only answer I'm given is to do the drops. Diet and exercise have no effect.

Comment from: tcmeshew, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 05

I am 39 years old and was diagnosed with glaucoma 6 years ago. After trying several combinations of drops and none of them working to lower the pressure my doctor began installing what is called an "Ahmed valve". This is surgically implanted under the skin of the eye. I have one in my right eye and two in the left. According to my doctor, without these in my eyes I would be blind by now. If your pressure cannot be controlled I strongly suggest indulging this procedure.

Comment from: msbernie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I am 63 years of age. I have Graves disease and was diagnosed with glaucoma in December 2008. It was the closed-angle glaucoma, so laser surgery was done immediately. I am still concerned. I went back for a vision field test today and to have the pressure checked. It was 28 in both eyes. Because of the Graves disease my eyes tear a lot so I don't really know if I am in any danger. My doctor told me to come back in January.

Comment from: edgibson46, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 07

I am 63, and I have glaucoma. I found medicinal marijuana to be quite effective.

Comment from: ben81598, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 07

Pot/weed slows the progresion of glaucoma also.

Comment from: orionlaw, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 16

I am 40 year old patient, who suffers from chronic Glaucoma pain in both of my eye's. I was born with cataracts and doctors began doing surgery on both of my eyes at the early age of five years old. The surgeries would continue on each eye once a year, for the removal of the cataracts. At the age of twelve began to have extreme internal pain inside and on back/top of my eye. My Treatment is what is available and every eye drop known to treat Glaucoma. I take seven different types of eye drops, but none to relieve the extreme pain I continue to receive on my eyes. It is difficult for me to enjoy my day to day activities when I cannot take the pain at times. I feel as if my doctors ignore my pleas for a remedy. It causes me stress and the pain I receive gives me little patience with my love ones and depresses me, I hope someone can help me.

Glaucoma - Risk Factors Question: Did you or a relative have any of the risk factors for glaucoma when diagnosed? If so, what were they?
Glaucoma - Symptoms Question: Describe the signs and symptoms associated with glaucoma in you, a friend, or relative.
Glaucoma - Diagnosis Question: What tests or exams led to a diagnosis of glaucoma?
Glaucoma - Surgery Experience Question: Please share your experience with surgery for glaucoma. Was this for you or a relative?