Patient Comments: Glaucoma - Surgery Experience

Please share your experience with surgery for glaucoma. Was this for you or a relative?

Comment from: noname, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

After a few months the slit made to relieve pressure and fluid sealed back together. My surgery for glaucoma was not successful.

Comment from: Sunset, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I had selective laser trabeculoplasty (SLT) yesterday and had pain during the procedure. I said it hurt two times. The doctor thought it was just pressure. It was pain. I hurt through the day and was given no instructions as to what I could do. Finally, I called the office and someone suggested I use Systane drops. I left the surgery with my left eye pressure at 25 – the same as when I entered. The pressure directly after the SLT was 39.

Comment from: candace, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 18

I am in the last stage of open-angle glaucoma. The eyesight I have left is small – like looking through a keyhole. I've had three laser surgeries in each eye. I am too high a risk for more surgery. The only thing that seems to bring down pressure to a 14 is Azopt drops, three times a day, Timolol eye drops twice a day, Latanoprost solution at night, and acetazolamide twice a day. Medicine is expensive without insurance.

Glaucoma - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your glaucoma?
Glaucoma - Risk Factors Question: Did you or a relative have any of the risk factors for glaucoma when diagnosed? If so, what were they?
Glaucoma - Symptoms Question: Describe the signs and symptoms associated with glaucoma in you, a friend, or relative.
Glaucoma - Diagnosis Question: What tests or exams led to a diagnosis of glaucoma?