Patient Comments: Gilbert Syndrome - Treatment

What was the treatment for your Gilbert syndrome?

Comment from: Baz, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 04

It is utterly ridiculous for doctors to say, that Gilbert syndrome is harmless! I can categorically state, that it has a profound effect on your life, and it"s limitations on your body, and especially on endurance levels! It gets worse as you get older. The best cure is decent sleep, good diet, and lots of liquid (water) - hydration is a problem. I am unable to drink alcohol, period... makes me extremely ill! Oh, stress is another major factor.

Comment from: Naomi, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I was told by doctors that I should not bother doing anything and was not given any suggestions of treatment. I can"t believe how many others have symptoms like tiredness and problems with concentration, I feel sick after only one standard alcoholic drink. I have been diagnosed with Gilbert syndrome recently when in hospital for a serious kidney infection. My eyes and skin went quite yellow after being in hospital a few days and my bilirubin levels where high on tests, I was eventually diagnosed after a couple of days. I"m wondering if there is anything that can be done besides perhaps taking liver detox vitamins. I have had digestion issues my whole life, I also have many allergies and get eczema if I have oranges or dairy products. I also often have low vitamin B and D levels and feel more fatigued if I have not taken a supplement for a few days. My parents are both Finnish and have high bilirubin levels also. Since I was diagnosed I have been speaking to my other Finnish relatives and I think many of them may also have Gilbert syndrome.

Gilbert Syndrome - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your Gilbert syndrome?