Patient Comments: Giardia Lamblia - Treatments

What kinds of treatment, including medication, did you receive for your giardiasis?

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 13

I had an allergy shot last week which turned into an allergic reaction. I had itching, chest pain, and swelling. A week later, I still feel terrible with pressure on my sternum and right side. I went to the urgent care and they took several tests and an EKG, which was normal. The doctor told me I had costochondritis which could be relieved with heating pad an ibuprofen. This pain is very annoying.

Comment from: Heather, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I recently got stomach cramps and had dysentery for the past week. I went to the doctor and only because I have had giardiasis before many times, did I know to ask for the treatment but I find health professionals reluctant to admit that the patient has it and so had to put up with the illness for a week before being prescribed Flagyl. I felt instantly better. No giardia showed up in my stools. There is only a small chance of it showing up. Over the years I have learned that I have caught giardia through the drinking water, particularly a day or two after a heavy rain.

Comment from: Nabs, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I suffered a month and a half before getting proper diagnosis, from the third doctor I sought. I was in pain with tummy cramps of the meanest degree, stool that was toxic and nasty smelling but mostly watery. And the frequency was so high that by the end of the month I didn't even make it to the toilet. It was straining the last bits of energy in me since food nauseated me! I lived on yoghurt and rice. And lots of ORS (oral rehydration solution). The stool test confirmed the presence of giardia. I lost more than 4 kgs and still feel weak. Flagyl increased my nausea so I was put on Cycin, which is an antibiotic. Last year I had suffered from typhoid so this made my stomach more vulnerable.

Comment from: MexicanTraveller, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I have been home from Mexico for 16 days and have been bed ridden for the last 5 days. I had major stomach issues my last few days down there and even ended up in the hospital for two days due to dehydration caused by frequent trips to the bathroom. My Dr. said I must have picked up this nasty parasite down there and I will be picking up my prescription for Flagyl today. Symptoms include: major fatigue, nausea, bloating, foul smelling gas, burping, on and off loose stools, stomach pain and headaches. I agree with the previous posts, antacids have made the symptoms worse. I hope this medication works. Good luck all.

Comment from: SickofbeingSick, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

I went to Bali for the first and last time at the end of February, start of March for my honeymoon and I have never been so sick in my life. After an hour of getting off the plane landing back in Australia, my husband and I were both chronically sick; both had diarrhea and stomach pains. After about a week, his giardiasis symptoms went away but mine continued for about a month. I had stool samples every week, all negative for any parasite but I couldn't eat anything otherwise I was on the toilet 10 to 20 minutes later (followed by another 4 or 5 times each 20 minutes after that). It has now been 5 months to the day since we returned from Bali and I have flare ups. I have noticed it especially when I eat something like sausages, minced meat, sometimes chicken, and cream leaves me feeling pretty foul too. Spaghetti Bolognese is the worst! I am constantly feeling tired/lethargic and no motivation to do anything anymore. Additionally, my immune system is shot, I catch a viral infection/cold every single week. I think the longest I have gone without a cold is about 8 days. It has impacted on work and also at home. I have had approximately 8 weeks off due to illness since I returned.

Comment from: Angela, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 08

I was on a cruise and started having diarrhea on 20th Feb, no cramps at that stage. Then after 5 days pain started. The doctor took blood and stool sample, all clear. Pain is now much worse, another doctor has sent for another stool sample and blood. Today I felt dizzy and tired and kept crying, they gave me a shot of Buscopan for the pain and now I'm resting; a friend suggested looking up giardia lamblia, so maybe this is what I am suffering with.

Giardia Lamblia - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with giardia lamblia.
Giardia Lamblia - Symptoms Question: Was diarrhea your main symptom with giardiasis? What other symptoms were associated with your infection?