Patient Comments: Giardia Lamblia - Treatments

What kinds of treatment, including medication, did you receive for your giardiasis?

Comment from: Heather, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I recently got stomach cramps and had dysentery for the past week. I went to the doctor and only because I have had giardiasis before many times, did I know to ask for the treatment but I find health professionals reluctant to admit that the patient has it and so had to put up with the illness for a week before being prescribed Flagyl. I felt instantly better. No giardia showed up in my stools. There is only a small chance of it showing up. Over the years I have learned that I have caught giardia through the drinking water, particularly a day or two after a heavy rain.

Comment from: Nabs, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I suffered a month and a half before getting proper diagnosis, from the third doctor I sought. I was in pain with tummy cramps of the meanest degree, stool that was toxic and nasty smelling but mostly watery. And the frequency was so high that by the end of the month I didn't even make it to the toilet. It was straining the last bits of energy in me since food nauseated me! I lived on yoghurt and rice. And lots of ORS (oral rehydration solution). The stool test confirmed the presence of giardia. I lost more than 4 kgs and still feel weak. Flagyl increased my nausea so I was put on Cycin, which is an antibiotic. Last year I had suffered from typhoid so this made my stomach more vulnerable.

Comment from: MexicanTraveller, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I have been home from Mexico for 16 days and have been bed ridden for the last 5 days. I had major stomach issues my last few days down there and even ended up in the hospital for two days due to dehydration caused by frequent trips to the bathroom. My Dr. said I must have picked up this nasty parasite down there and I will be picking up my prescription for Flagyl today. Symptoms include: major fatigue, nausea, bloating, foul smelling gas, burping, on and off loose stools, stomach pain and headaches. I agree with the previous posts, antacids have made the symptoms worse. I hope this medication works. Good luck all.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 20

Up here, giardia lamblia is called beaver fever. I used large dosages of Golden Seal powder in capsules. I drank lots of water or juice or both after taking the capsules.

Comment from: Angela, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 08

I was on a cruise and started having diarrhea on 20th Feb, no cramps at that stage. Then after 5 days pain started. The doctor took blood and stool sample, all clear. Pain is now much worse, another doctor has sent for another stool sample and blood. Today I felt dizzy and tired and kept crying, they gave me a shot of Buscopan for the pain and now I'm resting; a friend suggested looking up giardia lamblia, so maybe this is what I am suffering with.

Comment from: Miserableforweeks, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 25

16 days ago started the diarrhea straight for a week with no other symptons. then a week later, stomach cramps, headache and overall feeling of "not feeling well". i finally went in to the doctor as i could not leave the bathroom nor could i sleep as the stomach cramps seemed to get worse at night. 16 days into this and multiple tests later, they discovered the giardia. im within the first 48 hours of treatment with metronidazole. hopefully it will be effective! the best relief so far has been staying on the b.r.a.t. diet. this has eased up the diarrhea; however i have lost five pounds in this 16 days and feel very tired.

Comment from: teeech89, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 29

I had an ongoing case of giardia for five months. I was put on flagyl and levaquin twice with no relief. I lost 53 pounds during this time. Then my appendix burst (unrelated) and was on IV antibiotics for five days. After that, I had no problems and gained back the needed weight. I have had no symptoms since. I attribute this to the IV antibiotics I was given.

Giardia Lamblia - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with giardia lamblia.
Giardia Lamblia - Symptoms Question: Was diarrhea your main symptom with giardiasis? What other symptoms were associated with your infection?