Patient Comments: Giardia Lamblia - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with giardia lamblia.

Comment from: DoctorOnTeeVee, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 26

I caught giardia in Mexico, because I was too lazy to boil water just once. I had been boiling it and drinking it, with no problems. The next year, I had my first asthma attack, which I still have to this day. In my childhood and college years, I got sick a lot. After I caught giardia, I rarely got sick. My theory is the parasite stimulated my immune system into high gear. This over-active immune response is causing my lungs reacting to harmless foreign proteins, such as pollen, dust by producing inflammation, which gives me asthma, in my opinion.

Comment from: Guzzie, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 01

I have had giardia for several years and even been referred to the School of Tropical Medicine to try to cure it - all without success. At first the symptoms were severe with vomiting, nausea and violent diarrhea. They have now settled down to a continual cycle of constipation followed by low level diarrhea, mild nausea following food, continual tiredness, mild fevers and a feeling of being generally unwell a lot of the time. Not severe, almost like you are about to go down with a cold etc. but the cumulative effect is wearing and very depressive for mental health.

Comment from: Starsky, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I have been sick for about a month now, I have lost more than ten pounds. I can"t really eat anything that doesn"t upset my stomach. I have been to the emergency room six times, and I feel the doctors are just dismissing my symptoms which I think is of giardia lamblia. I found cysts in my stool, have gas, constant burping, diarrhea, and acid reflux. I was given Flagyl, which made me very ill, it"s a day to day struggle but I hope I can get rid of this soon. I have an appointment this week, and then a gastroenterologist.

Comment from: Bob, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 19

My female partner and I have been incorporating more anal sex into our intimate life and, sure enough, I develop classic signs and symptoms of giardia lamblia: loose and foul smelling stools, intense bloating and flatulence, fatigue, and not as much weight loss as I had when I first got it 10 years ago while camping. I"ve started generic metronidazole with good results. We"ve changed our sexual practices and paid better attention to scrupulous hygiene. People need to know that anal sex is a risk factor.

Comment from: Rettabug, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I have been tested for parasites twice and the first one was negative, hope the second one is something. I know I have a parasite, I can plainly see them in my stool, and it is like cyst and a tiny worm. I have bad constipation and I have to take a laxative or use a suppository to go to the bathroom. I get sick for no reason at all, I have headaches and bloating, the gas is awful. I took a round pinworm medicine, but I still have all the symptoms of giardia lamblia and still see them in my stool. I am at my wits end and wonder how contagious these things are!

Comment from: Sahara, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I became ill with giardia lamblia about 3 years ago after drinking contaminated water in Africa. I was not treated with antibiotics because by the time I could get medical help my symptoms abated and stool tests were negative. However, whenever I travelled I always experienced a flare-up which was usually short-lived. However after returning from the Middle East last week I experienced really intense gastro-intestinal distress requiring immediate medical treatment. My general physician decided to administer Fasigyn and my symptoms literally went in hours and I just found out my stool test was also positive. It would seem that I have had the infection all this time. It seems you can carry this bug for years.

Giardia Lamblia - Treatments Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, did you receive for your giardiasis?
Giardia Lamblia - Symptoms Question: Was diarrhea your main symptom with giardiasis? What other symptoms were associated with your infection?