Patient Comments: Giardia Lamblia - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with giardia lamblia.

Comment from: Simon, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: April 15

I'm 20 years old, and I live in a big city. I've never been camping or have drunk contaminated water. I really think I got giardia lamblia from the ground or got it from someone else. I'm usually a really anxious person, so chewing on pencils or pens is normal to me, I don't usually wash them, and I know it's bad. So anyway I got really bad gasses over a week and I felt almost sick every single time I ate something. Then during Easter I got the worst case of diarrhea I've gotten in years. It was pretty bad. I went to a doctor, his medicines didn't do anything, and I had to run to another emergency room during the morning. The doctor immediately asked for a stool examination, which I did. I got the results a week later, while the medicines he gave me were helping ok. I got my results today, they say it might be a case of giardia. I'm sure it is, throughout the week I've felt a little weak, depressed, I feel like I weigh a lot less and absolutely everything upsets my stomach, although I keep trying to eat healthy and stuff. If you feel like you have this and experience such symptoms, visit a microbiologist now and do the stool test. I'm a bit scares this parasite might never go away, or that it'll be there for years.

Comment from: Mrs. C, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

We got a kitten a couple weeks ago and he was just diagnosed with Giardia lamblia and coccidia. I knew something was wrong because his belly was kind of bloated. Unfortunately, I think I may have picked it up from playing with him before we got him checked out. I picked up C. difficile in the hospital 2 years ago and really hope this doesn't hurt as bad as that. I've had insane heart burn and some abdominal cramping the last 2 days. Going to wait a few more days and see how it goes. But for those of you saying you are seeing the cysts or worms in your stool, that's not giardia. You can't see it without a microscope.

Comment from: themare5716, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 07

I contracted giardia lamblia 3 years ago by drinking water from my hose. I was put on a 2 cycle round of antibiotics. I lost a lot of weight (60 lb.) because I couldn't digest fatty food and had constant diarrhea. To this day I still can't digest fatty foods but I don't have giardia. The damage was already done, I guess. I have learned how to eat around the giardia so that I don't get the diarrhea, but sometimes I screw up and get the familiar sudden ache in my lower intestines and have to rush to the bathroom.

Comment from: Allen, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 30

I am a 62 year old male and I was told on June 26th 2014 that I had giardia lamblia. I have had diarrhea for a year or longer. I was blaming my diarrhea on everything from foods I would eat to my gallbladder surgery. I was having diarrhea that I would wake up and sometimes didn't make it to the restroom! I also had a terrible smell when I belched. When I belched it stank so bad that people that lived in the home could smell it in another room! I am still on medicines. I think that my diarrhea has lasted for over 2 years off and on but that last six months has been the worst! I don't know how I got giardia but I hope it doesn't last because it has also caused me to have pain that runs down from my hip and down to my groin. I had severe pain and although I am on medications now and my diarrhea is going away, but the pain in my groin hasn't.

Comment from: DoctorOnTeeVee, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 26

I caught giardia in Mexico, because I was too lazy to boil water just once. I had been boiling it and drinking it, with no problems. The next year, I had my first asthma attack, which I still have to this day. In my childhood and college years, I got sick a lot. After I caught giardia, I rarely got sick. My theory is the parasite stimulated my immune system into high gear. This over-active immune response is causing my lungs reacting to harmless foreign proteins, such as pollen, dust by producing inflammation, which gives me asthma, in my opinion.

Comment from: gettingbetter, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

We are taking Wormless from Herbactive for giardia lamblia, it has cured others and does not cost a fortune!

Comment from: Gazelle42, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 10

I picked up giardia lamblia from a swimming pool while on vacation. It was a couple of months before I was so sick that I went in for treatment. It's been 4 months now and even though I am better, I am still sick a lot. I am tired and weak, and have nausea, I just don't feel good. But I am so much better than when I was first diagnosed.

Giardia Lamblia - Treatments Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, did you receive for your giardiasis?
Giardia Lamblia - Symptoms Question: Was diarrhea your main symptom with giardiasis? What other symptoms were associated with your infection?