Patient Comments: Giardia Lamblia - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with giardia lamblia.

Comment from: Leontine, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 23

My first bout with giardia was about 10 years ago. I was in a restaurant eating dinner and suddenly I was doubled over with excruciating stomach pains. I had no idea what this was. I had to leave the restaurant and go home. Then the diarrhea started. It would last for a few days, accompanied by the bad stomach pains, and then I would have a relief for about three days and then it would start again. I went to the doctor many times. The first time he said it was stress, the next times he said irritable bowel syndrome. This went on and on without any improvement. Then I went to a new doctor who did a stool sample and luckily they found the giardia. The medication worked immediately and I've been good ever since up until a few days ago. The pain hit me again and it was deja vue all over again. I'll never forget that pain because it's quite intense. I'll be going to the doctor tomorrow. I just moved to Florida so I'm wondering how I got it this time.

Comment from: Steven, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 25

For almost two years, I've been employed as a veterinarian technician. So every day, I end up finding giardia or the cyst form in fecal floats, plus the horrible symptoms displayed by the pets, and sometimes even death. I never even thought of what the symptoms in humans would be. I thought you only got these kinds of things from drinking out of birdbaths or going to Mexico. So for about the past six months, my energy has been so low that I end up getting about 12 hours of sleep a day. I had horrible yellowish-liquidy foul feces that would manifest itself terribly in the middle of the night only to have it come back 10 minutes later after I went back to bed. I also had awful cramps. (I'm a guy! I shouldn't have to deal with that stuff!) I had no appetite, and I lost 40 pounds. I still cannot satisfy my thirst for cold water.

Published: July 25

I had giardia some time ago (20 years or so). I probably contracted it from an exotic fish at an iffy restaurant. The only symptom was instant-on watery diarrhea every 20 to 30 minutes at all hours of the day. Other than that I felt 100% fine. The doctor diagnosed it from a stool sample and prescribed Furoxone, and when I was done with the bottle a week later, the problem was gone. I've never seen it return.

Published: June 26

I was really sick at the back end of May and have just tested positive for Giardia. I have no idea where I contracted it and no-one else I know is sick. I still have no appetite and keep getting waves of nausea, headaches and tiredness. I guess my doctor is going to prescribe some antibiotic but I have heard that giardia never really goes away and that once you are infected you keep having flares-ups.

Published: June 23

Thank you to the person who wrote above regarding their burps that smell like sulfur or rotten eggs--I am not crazy. I got back two weeks ago from a trip to Africa along with eight other people, and we have all had various symptoms such as diarrhea, nausea, stomach pains, etc., which have come and gone (and come again). But, I seem to be the only one who has described this symptom regarding my burps. That symptom went away after a taking Cipro for about a week, but now that I've been off Cipro, some of my other symptoms seem to be reappearing. I'm fearful that the toxic burp will also return. Based on the comments, I am going to immediately ask my doctor if what I am experiencing could be giardia.

Published: June 18

I took Dr Natura colon cleanse last winter, and two weeks ago we started taking Parastroy because of bloated stomachs, bad breath, and a lack of energy. We found Giardia in both forms in out stools as well as other parasites. When the program is complete, we will wait 30 days and take it again. Not sure how we contracted Giardia, maybe by swimming in the lake. We understand that it is also called "beaver fever". I would like to know what other people have taken to kill these parasites.

Published: June 10

Extreme stomach pain and unable to eat anything because it causes more pain.

Giardia Lamblia - Treatments Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, did you receive for your giardiasis?
Giardia Lamblia - Symptoms Question: Was diarrhea your main symptom with giardiasis? What other symptoms were associated with your infection?