Patient Comments: Giardia Lamblia - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with giardia lamblia.

Comment from: Bethany, 19-24 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 13

This disease has affected my partner for nearly 2years. He has taken anti-biotics many times, but nothing has seemed to get rid of the parasite. He has been very, very ill from this, and he use to be a big meat eater, now, when he eats meat and most dairy products, he fells un-controllably ill. Now he does not eat any of the above, which has created low iron and now he is on iron tablets to keep him awake in every day life. It has become a hassle, as well as a major discomfort for him and myself. Nothing seems to work for him to get rid of the parasite.

Comment from: Ddavis, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 17

Three years ago, my teenage son was playing in run off water after a heavy rain shower. Several days later he began to have diarrhea. He became dehydrated and had to have IV fluids at the ER. We have since learned that farm land in our area is fertilized with treated sewage sludge. Our city newspaper is now running articles about the health hazards of this practice.

Comment from: anne, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 17

I got giardia from eating at a fast food restaurant about fifteen years ago. It was just horrible and I still suffer from severe diarrhea that no doctor can find the cause for. I also have been told that I must have IBS. I just don't know what to do. I had to quit my job four years ago because of accidents so often it was quite embarrassing and exhausting.

Comment from: Joe, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 25

One thing I can say is: Don't get it! I have never been so sick. I couldn't leave the bathroom, I couldn't eat anything, and I felt horrible for about a week. I got giardia lamblia in Mexico. The funny thing is, there were 20 of us on the trip, and I was the only one that got it! The symptoms started three days after we got home. I thought I had the flu, but it's like the flu times 10. If you get it, go to a doctor.

Published: July 25

I have just been diagnosed with giardia after a month of burping, stomach pain, and diarrhea. I'm not sure where I got it, but I'm curious if my dog may be a contributing factor. Other than being grossed out by the fact that I have parasites in my body, I guess I'll live once I complete the antibiotics.

Giardia Lamblia - Treatments Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, did you receive for your giardiasis?
Giardia Lamblia - Symptoms Question: Was diarrhea your main symptom with giardiasis? What other symptoms were associated with your infection?