Patient Comments: Giardia Lamblia - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with giardia lamblia.

Published: July 23

I have had gastritis with an ulcer for more then a year now. I went to the gastroenterologist and my general practitioner and they both chalked up my problems to too much alcohol consumption since it occurred after the Super bowl weekend. I suffered for more then a year without drinking and taking antacids to get better with no results. Finally, I decided I was being poisoned somehow and my husband tested our drinking water, which is a private well. It turned out that we had tons of chloroform and bacteria in our water. Looking back, I remember over the past year how we had some of our cats get intestinal and stomach problems, so they must have been suffering from the same thing. Anyway, none of my doctors asked me about my drinking water, and then when they found out I had bad water, none of them suggested a test for parasites. It took me going to the doctor and saying that I wanted to be tested for parasites before anything was done. Now, I find out that I have had Giardia for who knows how long, not to mention I was taking antacids, which even helps the disease multiply.

Comment from: Claudia, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 24

I got giardia lamblia a few times and with it came a feeling of slight depression. I had some weight loss land hair loss too but the hair is growing back.

Comment from: kritter, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

I had beaver fever 25 years ago, and since then I have been diagnosed with irritable bowel, acid reflux, gastritis and lactose intolerance. About 2 years ago I became really sick with gastritis with symptoms such as nausea, bloating, burping, gas, diarrhea, cramps and upper stomach pain. I went to see a nautropath and he found giardia in my system. I went on a diet as suggested by him and took some supplements and I am happy to report that my symptoms are finally disappearing!!!!!

Comment from: Ros, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 17

Just got back from Bali became sick with the runs and vomiting 2 hours before we landed. Been off my food for nearly two weeks off and on stomach pains and now I am in terrible pain in my gut constantly. Went to docs and will do the stool testing. He said he feels I have a parasite in my bowel, possible gairdia. Take panadine for the pain in the meantime

Comment from: Mrs. G, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

My three cats have had giardia for a long time, and we didn't know what it was. Our cats are indoor-only cats, so we have no idea how they got it. However, we used to feed our cats store-bought "pet grass" that we think may have been contaminated with giardia. A routine exam at the vet showed giardia in a stool sample of one of our cats. The first round of antibiotics didn't work, and our cats are now on a second dose. We hope this will knock it out. I'm the one who cleans the litter box. For a week now, I haven't felt well: very tired, diarrhea, weight loss, etc. Then I had horrible stomach cramps. I was rushed to the hospital, and they did all kinds of testing. Although none of my tests showed giardia, since we have three cats with it, the doctors at the hospital think I do have giardia. They sent me home with a prescription for Flagyl. I'm hoping it will knock it out, and I won't have any relapse. I worry about this because I have read that it can last for weeks, months, and even years!

Comment from: Leontine, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 23

My first bout with giardia was about 10 years ago. I was in a restaurant eating dinner and suddenly I was doubled over with excruciating stomach pains. I had no idea what this was. I had to leave the restaurant and go home. Then the diarrhea started. It would last for a few days, accompanied by the bad stomach pains, and then I would have a relief for about three days and then it would start again. I went to the doctor many times. The first time he said it was stress, the next times he said irritable bowel syndrome. This went on and on without any improvement. Then I went to a new doctor who did a stool sample and luckily they found the giardia. The medication worked immediately and I've been good ever since up until a few days ago. The pain hit me again and it was deja vue all over again. I'll never forget that pain because it's quite intense. I'll be going to the doctor tomorrow. I just moved to Florida so I'm wondering how I got it this time.

Giardia Lamblia - Treatments Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, did you receive for your giardiasis?
Giardia Lamblia - Symptoms Question: Was diarrhea your main symptom with giardiasis? What other symptoms were associated with your infection?