Patient Comments: Giardia Lamblia - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with giardia lamblia.

Published: June 26

I was really sick at the back end of May and have just tested positive for Giardia. I have no idea where I contracted it and no-one else I know is sick. I still have no appetite and keep getting waves of nausea, headaches and tiredness. I guess my doctor is going to prescribe some antibiotic but I have heard that giardia never really goes away and that once you are infected you keep having flares-ups.

Published: June 23

Thank you to the person who wrote above regarding their burps that smell like sulfur or rotten eggs--I am not crazy. I got back two weeks ago from a trip to Africa along with eight other people, and we have all had various symptoms such as diarrhea, nausea, stomach pains, etc., which have come and gone (and come again). But, I seem to be the only one who has described this symptom regarding my burps. That symptom went away after a taking Cipro for about a week, but now that I've been off Cipro, some of my other symptoms seem to be reappearing. I'm fearful that the toxic burp will also return. Based on the comments, I am going to immediately ask my doctor if what I am experiencing could be giardia.

Published: June 18

I took Dr Natura colon cleanse last winter, and two weeks ago we started taking Parastroy because of bloated stomachs, bad breath, and a lack of energy. We found Giardia in both forms in out stools as well as other parasites. When the program is complete, we will wait 30 days and take it again. Not sure how we contracted Giardia, maybe by swimming in the lake. We understand that it is also called "beaver fever". I would like to know what other people have taken to kill these parasites.

Published: June 10

Extreme stomach pain and unable to eat anything because it causes more pain.

Published: June 09

I just recently overcame a bout of Giardia. I had severe diarrhea, bloating and abdominal cramps. This is the second time I have had it and the one thing I would like to pass on is something I have yet to read anywhere. I had burps that would smell like sulfur or rotten eggs. It was quite pronounced so much so my co workers and family member could smell it quite easily. It took quite a bit of research to find out what was causing this. Apparently this symptom is unique to Giardia; however it is never described on any website as a symptom. The sulfur burps would always start a day before the other symptoms and I knew that I was to be very sick very soon. After some intense research I was able to find a article that corroborated this symptom with this illness. I have found many inquiries from many people looking for answers whom have had the same rotten egg burps, yet there has been nothing documented.

Comment from: 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I have been sick for 6 weeks, am 79 yrs. started with terrible burping after every meal; then attacks of nausea so horrible i cant describe it; cold sweats, dizziness sometimes. I fainted once. I had an endoscopy, and doctor upped my PPI, and discovered giardia in my stomach. I have had no diarrhea! Rather the opposite! I am now on metrodonidazole 3 times day for 7 days. I only hope this clears it. I have lost 6 lbs, am off meat and coffee, and have had to become basically a vegetarian. I am tired constantly, a complete change from my old self. I know you can't live forever, but to go because of a parasite!

Comment from: lynn, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I have had giardia many times, the first from water camping in Wyoming. It is as everyone here has described. The most effective treatment has been Flagyl but it isn't fun. My question is: Has anyone treated for giardia had relapses of occasional nausea, extreme fatigue, dizziness, headaches, bloating, occasional foul smelling gas, etc. but not the intense symptoms suffered with full blown giardia? I've heard that some people never completely get rid of the parasite and I'm wondering if my symptoms, which have been put down to various things over the past 4 years, i.e. stress, chronic fatigue syndrome, low-grade flu, etc. could actually be caused by giardia. I would be grateful for any advice.

Giardia Lamblia - Treatments Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, did you receive for your giardiasis?
Giardia Lamblia - Symptoms Question: Was diarrhea your main symptom with giardiasis? What other symptoms were associated with your infection?