Patient Comments: Giardia Lamblia - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with giardia lamblia.

Comment from: Claudia, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 24

I got giardia lamblia a few times and with it came a feeling of slight depression. I had some weight loss land hair loss too but the hair is growing back.

Comment from: kritter, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

I had beaver fever 25 years ago, and since then I have been diagnosed with irritable bowel, acid reflux, gastritis and lactose intolerance. About 2 years ago I became really sick with gastritis with symptoms such as nausea, bloating, burping, gas, diarrhea, cramps and upper stomach pain. I went to see a nautropath and he found giardia in my system. I went on a diet as suggested by him and took some supplements and I am happy to report that my symptoms are finally disappearing!!!!!

Comment from: Ros, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 17

Just got back from Bali became sick with the runs and vomiting 2 hours before we landed. Been off my food for nearly two weeks off and on stomach pains and now I am in terrible pain in my gut constantly. Went to docs and will do the stool testing. He said he feels I have a parasite in my bowel, possible gairdia. Take panadine for the pain in the meantime

Comment from: Mrs. G, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

My three cats have had giardia for a long time, and we didn't know what it was. Our cats are indoor-only cats, so we have no idea how they got it. However, we used to feed our cats store-bought "pet grass" that we think may have been contaminated with giardia. A routine exam at the vet showed giardia in a stool sample of one of our cats. The first round of antibiotics didn't work, and our cats are now on a second dose. We hope this will knock it out. I'm the one who cleans the litter box. For a week now, I haven't felt well: very tired, diarrhea, weight loss, etc. Then I had horrible stomach cramps. I was rushed to the hospital, and they did all kinds of testing. Although none of my tests showed giardia, since we have three cats with it, the doctors at the hospital think I do have giardia. They sent me home with a prescription for Flagyl. I'm hoping it will knock it out, and I won't have any relapse. I worry about this because I have read that it can last for weeks, months, and even years!

Comment from: Leontine, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 23

My first bout with giardia was about 10 years ago. I was in a restaurant eating dinner and suddenly I was doubled over with excruciating stomach pains. I had no idea what this was. I had to leave the restaurant and go home. Then the diarrhea started. It would last for a few days, accompanied by the bad stomach pains, and then I would have a relief for about three days and then it would start again. I went to the doctor many times. The first time he said it was stress, the next times he said irritable bowel syndrome. This went on and on without any improvement. Then I went to a new doctor who did a stool sample and luckily they found the giardia. The medication worked immediately and I've been good ever since up until a few days ago. The pain hit me again and it was deja vue all over again. I'll never forget that pain because it's quite intense. I'll be going to the doctor tomorrow. I just moved to Florida so I'm wondering how I got it this time.

Comment from: Steven, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 25

For almost two years, I've been employed as a veterinarian technician. So every day, I end up finding giardia or the cyst form in fecal floats, plus the horrible symptoms displayed by the pets, and sometimes even death. I never even thought of what the symptoms in humans would be. I thought you only got these kinds of things from drinking out of birdbaths or going to Mexico. So for about the past six months, my energy has been so low that I end up getting about 12 hours of sleep a day. I had horrible yellowish-liquidy foul feces that would manifest itself terribly in the middle of the night only to have it come back 10 minutes later after I went back to bed. I also had awful cramps. (I'm a guy! I shouldn't have to deal with that stuff!) I had no appetite, and I lost 40 pounds. I still cannot satisfy my thirst for cold water.

Published: July 25

I had giardia some time ago (20 years or so). I probably contracted it from an exotic fish at an iffy restaurant. The only symptom was instant-on watery diarrhea every 20 to 30 minutes at all hours of the day. Other than that I felt 100% fine. The doctor diagnosed it from a stool sample and prescribed Furoxone, and when I was done with the bottle a week later, the problem was gone. I've never seen it return.

Giardia Lamblia - Treatments Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, did you receive for your giardiasis?
Giardia Lamblia - Symptoms Question: Was diarrhea your main symptom with giardiasis? What other symptoms were associated with your infection?