Patient Comments: Giardia Lamblia - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with giardia lamblia.

Comment from: DoctorOnTeeVee, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 26

I caught giardia in Mexico, because I was too lazy to boil water just once. I had been boiling it and drinking it, with no problems. The next year, I had my first asthma attack, which I still have to this day. In my childhood and college years, I got sick a lot. After I caught giardia, I rarely got sick. My theory is the parasite stimulated my immune system into high gear. This over-active immune response is causing my lungs reacting to harmless foreign proteins, such as pollen, dust by producing inflammation, which gives me asthma, in my opinion.

Comment from: Guzzie, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 01

I have had giardia for several years and even been referred to the School of Tropical Medicine to try to cure it - all without success. At first the symptoms were severe with vomiting, nausea and violent diarrhea. They have now settled down to a continual cycle of constipation followed by low level diarrhea, mild nausea following food, continual tiredness, mild fevers and a feeling of being generally unwell a lot of the time. Not severe, almost like you are about to go down with a cold etc. but the cumulative effect is wearing and very depressive for mental health.

Comment from: Gazelle42, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 10

I picked up giardia lamblia from a swimming pool while on vacation. It was a couple of months before I was so sick that I went in for treatment. It's been 4 months now and even though I am better, I am still sick a lot. I am tired and weak, and have nausea, I just don't feel good. But I am so much better than when I was first diagnosed.

Comment from: Patricia, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 25

I heard that walking barefoot on the grass was healthy. I spent 3 months doing this and felt wiggling in my rectum. I knew it was worms and decided to try garlic. After 2 months I felt wiggling in my nose. Immediately I went to the doctor and was given albendazole. It helped but I still felt some wiggling after one treatment. The doctor said I was imagining it. Finally my gynecologist doctor gave me a 5 day stool test. It came back with giardia lamblia. I have no symptoms of stomach pain or loose bowels. I'm more inclined to be constipated. I really believe I have threadworms.

Comment from: coco, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 22

The Ayurvedic herb that relieved my symptoms is called Vidanga. I am very grateful to have been told about this herb.it saved me from a lot of suffering. I always have Vidanga in case I get another attack. The cysts of giardia lamblia can hide in the folds of your intestine, so there is a chance of another attack. I also take Vidanga for at least 30 days to cover the life cycle of the Giardia.

Comment from: Starsky, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I have been sick for about a month now, I have lost more than ten pounds. I can"t really eat anything that doesn"t upset my stomach. I have been to the emergency room six times, and I feel the doctors are just dismissing my symptoms which I think is of giardia lamblia. I found cysts in my stool, have gas, constant burping, diarrhea, and acid reflux. I was given Flagyl, which made me very ill, it"s a day to day struggle but I hope I can get rid of this soon. I have an appointment this week, and then a gastroenterologist.

Comment from: Bob, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 19

My female partner and I have been incorporating more anal sex into our intimate life and, sure enough, I develop classic signs and symptoms of giardia lamblia: loose and foul smelling stools, intense bloating and flatulence, fatigue, and not as much weight loss as I had when I first got it 10 years ago while camping. I"ve started generic metronidazole with good results. We"ve changed our sexual practices and paid better attention to scrupulous hygiene. People need to know that anal sex is a risk factor.

Giardia Lamblia - Treatments Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, did you receive for your giardiasis?
Giardia Lamblia - Symptoms Question: Was diarrhea your main symptom with giardiasis? What other symptoms were associated with your infection?