Patient Comments: Giardia Lamblia - Symptoms

Was diarrhea your main symptom with giardiasis? What other symptoms were associated with your infection?

Comment from: Barbs, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

I have recently returned from a 3-month trip to the Northern Territory and Outback Queensland. For half that time I have had giardiasis. I visited 3 doctors on my travels. Only one diagnosed giardiasis and gave me antibiotics and it cleared up but returned again. I have watery, greasy, vile-smelling diarrhea, terrible smelling gas, headaches, fatigue, loss of appetite, and just feel sick in general. I am not sleeping very well as the gas and foul smell keep waking me up. I'm into my third day of antibiotics not much has changed yet. And this is the second lot in 4 weeks. I am an active person and sick of being sick.

Comment from: Victoria, Australia, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

Never in my life have I had such severe and long lasting diarrhea. It started with extreme stomach cramps then woke me in the middle of the night and I had to rush to the toilet. I felt better after 3 days and then half way through the day it was back with a vengeance. I am now up to day 5 and waiting to see the doctor. I hope they have an answer for me and some treatment as this is getting ridiculous. My husband has had giardiasis before and it seems a lot like it but without the vomiting.

Comment from: Counselor, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 26

Diarrhea was not a symptom for me. Lack of energy, increased pain throughout my body from inflammation.

Giardia Lamblia - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with giardia lamblia.
Giardia Lamblia - Treatments Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, did you receive for your giardiasis?