- Take the Tummy Trouble Quiz
- Digestive Disease Myths Slideshow Pictures
- Ulcerative Colitis Slideshow
- Patient Comments: Giardia Lamblia - Describe Your Experience
- Patient Comments: Giardia Lamblia - Treatments
- Patient Comments: Giardia Lamblia - Symptoms
- Find a local Gastroenterologist in your town
How can giardiasis be prevented?
- Drink only water that has been treated in established treatment facilities.
- If there is any doubt about the adequacy of the treatment of water, boil the water or filter it through a filter with a pore size of <1 micrometer, which will exclude trophozoites and cysts.
- Do not drink from fresh water streams or lakes without boiling or filtering the water.
- Do not use ice or drink beverages made from tap water that may be contaminated.
- Do not brush teeth with tap water that may be contaminated.
- Do not eat uncooked or unpeeled fruits or vegetables grown in conditions in which contamination with Giardia might occur.
- Wash hands before eating food, after changing diapers, using the bathroom, or touching pets.
- Avoid oral/anal sex.
Medically reviewed by Robert Cox, MD; American Board of Internal Medicine with subspecialty in Infectious Disease