What other names is German Chamomile known by?
Blue Chamomile, Camomèle, Camomilla, Camomille, Camomille Allemande, Camomille Sauvage, Camomille Tronquée, Camomille Vraie, Chamomile, Chamomilla recutita, Echte Kamille, Feldkamille, Fleur de Camomile, Hungarian Chamomile, Kamillen, Kleine Kamille, Manzanilla, Manzanilla Alemana, Matricaire, Matricaire Camomille, Matricaria chamomilla, Matricaria recutita, Matricariae Flos, Œil du Soleil, Petite Camomille, Pin Heads, Sweet False Chamomile, True Chamomile, Wild Chamomile.
What is German Chamomile?
German chamomile is an herb. People use the flower head of the plant to make medicine.
Is German Chamomile effective?
There is some scientific evidence that a German chamomile oral rinse might be helpful for a condition called "mucositis," a side effect of radiation therapy
in some people with cancer
There isn't enough information to know if German chamomile is effective for the other conditions people use it for, including: upset stomach, insomnia
, skin conditions, stuffy nose, gas, diarrhea
, menstrual cramps
, and others.
Possibly Effective for...
- Treating or preventing swelling and deterioration (mucositis) of the mouth lining caused by radiation therapy and some types of chemotherapy.
- Upset stomach (dyspepsia), when a combination of German chamomile and five other herbs is used.
- Colic in breastfed infants when used in combination with other herbs.
Possibly Ineffective for...
- Preventing skin irritation caused by radiation used to treat cancer.
Insufficient Evidence to Rate Effectiveness for...
- Intestinal gas, travel sickness, nasal swelling (inflammation), hayfever, diarrhea, restlessness, sleeplessness, attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), fibromyalgia, stomach and intestinal disorders, menstrual cramps, and other conditions.
Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database rates effectiveness based on scientific evidence according to the following scale: Effective, Likely Effective, Possibly Effective, Possibly Ineffective, Likely Ineffective, and Insufficient Evidence to Rate (detailed description of each of the ratings).