Patient Comments: GERD in Infants and Children - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your infant's or child's GERD?

Comment from: Zoey2012, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 17

I go to a chiropractor and when my baby had GERD my chiropractor did an adjustment on him, once a week for 4 weeks and my baby is fine. It got better with each adjustment. I know it sounds crazy but, it worked.

Comment from: dixidegirl2, 0-2 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

My 5 week old baby also has the acid reflux. I have tried gripe water, putting cereal in the bottles, changing the formula several times and nothing seems to work. The doctor put her on prevacid and it doesn't seem to work either. I feed her in small amounts (2oz) at a time and she still suffers with vomiting, hiccups, choking. The choking is the scariest part. Next is the GI testing. I too am hoping they have an answer.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

Please don't put your children with gerd or any other gastrointestinal problem on any drugs like prevacid etc. The best way to control the problem is to monitor the intake of acidic foods that your child is eating. So little is known about eating right these days. It is all based on what tastes good not what is good for you. A highly acidic diet will have you ending up with all kinds of digestive problems. It breaks my heart that this is happening to young children and babies. Change their way of eating and make life easier for them. There are many programs out there such as Great taste no Pain that will help you understand the need for a balanced alkaline and acid intake. Pray this will help someone.

Comment from: busymumto5, 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 30

My son is 10 weeks old and has been having these GERD symptoms since birth; he was started on zantac, and so far he seems to be doing better; he isn't projectile vomiting, gasping for air or choking, he doesn't cry with feedings anymore; seems more relaxed during feeds. He is still crying erratically though, he needs my arms almost all day, BUT he sleeps all night!

Comment from: 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 08

My daughter has had GERD symptoms since birth. It started with foamy spit up, severe gagging, and choking at night and with feedings. She has been on Zantac twice a day, but it doesn't seem to be enough. She is still making gulping sounds, and stays congested with rattled breathing and cough. She is also on Singulair and after EGD and pH probe she is on EleCare and Nexium and is possibly suffering from food allergies. This is my fourth child and none of my other children went through this. It is very scary.

Comment from: pnich, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 26

All three of my children had and still have GERD. No specialist has helped. All had feeding problems, reswallowing, back arching, persistent crying, choking, persistent cough, restless light sleeping...

Comment from: Canadian Mom, 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 16

My 3-year-old son was always difficult to feed, right from birth. He vomited constantly, which was heartbreaking after spending an hour trying to nurse him. In the last year or two, he has begun to make little burping sounds all the time but he is, in fact, vomiting into his mouth and re-swallowing. My husband has had GERD for as long as he can remember (as in, he doesn't EVER remember not having heartburn). Even having his 35 years of experience with GERD, we were still slow to realize that it was likely the cause of a whole host of problems with our son. Our family doctor prescribed Ranitidine with no success. He was still burping and puking, so we've taken him off the drugs. We are currently waiting to see the GI specialist at our nearest children's hospital and hoping for an answer. I'm anxious for the day when my little boy isn't in pain or smelling like puke. Hopefully, it's sooner rather than later!

Comment from: gscott, 0-2 Male (Patient) Published: March 07

I am a first-time mother of 3-month-old Ethan who was diagnosed with GERD when he was 2 weeks. He would spit up 1 to 2 ounces of formula with each feeding, and he would cry erratically either right after or an hour in from feeding. This has brought on his wheezing, wet hiccups, nasal congestion and such. We are scared! There were a couple of times when he choked. He currently is on Prevacid, but we're not seeing much relief yet.

GERD in Infants and Children - Treatments Question: What treatments have been effective for your infant's or child's GERD or acid reflux?
GERD in Infants and Children - Experience Question: Please share your experience of GERD and acid reflux in baby and children.