Patient Comments: Genital Herpes - Treatment

What kind of treatment are you using for genital herpes?

A Doctor's View on Genital Herpes Treatment

Read the Comment by Melissa Conrad Stöppler, MD

There is no known cure for genital herpes infection, but antiviral medications can treat acute outbreaks and help prevent subsequent outbreaks. Common antiviral medications that can reduce the severity and length of outbreaks include acyclovir (Zovirax), famciclovir (Famvir), and valacyclovir (Valtrex). To be effective, treatment must be given prior to the outbreak or within the first 24 hours after an outbreak has started. Certain medications can be applied topically to the blisters, but they are not as effective as oral medications. Read the entire Doctor's View

Comment from: Jackie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 04

The valacyclovir is such a blessing for my genital herpes. I have had it for approximately 26 years, and it works better than anything I have tried. Putting something on the blisters makes it worse, because if they burst, that makes them burn more. Getting the medications as soon as you realize it is happening is the best way to stop the length of suffering. That's the key to managing it. Where they decide to appear is always an inconvenient place, which could be telling you to rest. Stress does bring them. I am glad to be alive!

Comment from: Hunny, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 30

I have been closely analyzing the results of various treatments for genital herpes. Oral acyclovir along with topical use of same has been useful, however topical application of aloe vera extract, a succulent plant species on infected area has shown amazing results in recovering from outbreaks.

Comment from: L, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 05

I am a 5 year breast cancer survivor and have 8 to 10 genital herpes outbreaks per year. I use generic Zovirax cream during outbreaks which helps some. I am so tired of these outbreaks and am considering talking to my doctor about going on the pills to prevent future outbreaks. I'm a widow and can't imagine finding someone who would accept this. Recently I read about a supplement called lysine that might help. I'm going to try it and check back in and let you know if it helps.

Comment from: ecogal, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

A great way to control genital herpes outbreaks is with the natural detox mineral called zeolite with added natural humic Acid. This product is called Zeolite-AV. To find this incredible product to greatly slow down or stop the reproduction of virus cells, do an online search for the single word Zeolite, then look for the Zeolite AV product for more information.

Comment from: rena, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

I am a four year breast cancer survivor. Four years ago when I began chemotherapy, I had a breakout of genital herpes. Now it has been on a monthly basis for four years. I use no medications, my immune system is not low. My white blood cells are good. I just use plain water and wear white cotton undies. I just have gotten very tired of having this on a monthly basis. I eat good, fresh fruit and vegetables.

Comment from: Hadenuf, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 19

After 17 years of no outbreaks of genital herpes, I am having one now. I have been under severe stress for the past 3 years and it is ongoing, so I attribute it to that. After a week of symptoms, I finally asked for a prescription to help. I wish I had done it sooner.

Genital Herpes - Symptoms Question: What symptoms of genital herpes did you have with your first outbreak?
Genital Herpes - Pregnancy Question: How did you manage your genital herpes during pregnancy?