Patient Comments: Genital Herpes In Women - Treatments

What effective treatments have you found for your genital herpes?

Comment from: anddlm16, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: April 08

When I was 16, I met my boyfriend who was 15 at the time. His ex had herpes and didn't tell him. Then he had a breakout, but we didn't know what it was until after it went away. We had sex a few days after that. I was itching all the time. I went to the doctor to find out I had herpes. My doctor gave me valacyclovir, and I been taking one pill a day for the past two years. I am married now and have a healthy pretty daughter. I haven't had a breakout yet.

Comment from: staycoolandcalm, 65-74 Female Published: March 10

I have had genital herpes for 35 years. I married my husband 25 years ago, and he never contracted it. I have breakouts very seldom, as I try to stay calm. I find that if I get really upset about something, I have a breakout. I use Vaseline on the lesion when I do have an occasional breakout.

Comment from: Terrified, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: May 04

I am only 13 years old and was diagnosed with genital herpes yesterday. I don't sleep around; I think that's why it shocked me the most. It was probably the worst day of my life. I can't explain the pain I'm in. I can only go to the bathroom when I put freezing gel on my vagina. I have to take 4 pills a day for 10 days. I'm disappointed in myself for not insisting on a condom. It feels like I got hit by a bus, my whole body hurts. I have a headache, fever, joint pain, and swollen glands. I have found that the gel works very well but only freezes it for about 20 minutes.

Comment from: anonymous, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: March 01

I'm 16 years old, and almost two months ago I was diagnosed with Genital Herpes. I have never slept around, which is probably why I'm struggling so much with this news. So far, I've only had one out break. I had a 100 degree fever, sore muscles and joints, itching, burning and my anxiety was acting up. My sores were never bumps. It started with one, and then another open sore appeared. My doctor prescribed me valtrex (2 times a day for 10 days) but my sores cleared up in about 4 days. When I broke the news to my mom, I thought she would pass out. Thankfully, my parents have both been extremely supportive, and I really don't know what I'd so without them. I think that I'm finally beginning to accept it for what it is, now that I know that I'm not alone.

Comment from: Christy84, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

I was 21 when I got the virus from a guy that I met at college. Before we met he had brought up the issue of being called a name because of his popularity with the girls, but it never registered in my mind because I thought of him as the perfect guy. We later became a couple and were always intimate with one another until I one day got this horrible feeling that led me to my gyno. The one thing I dreaded of having, Herpes. I never thought that I would be the one to catch this but it happened. Although I was horribly angry with him and myself, I accepted that it would never go away. Now I'm taking my medicine and staying healthy as I can. I do get outbreaks every now and then but not as bad. My dating life is good, I just try to be careful and let the person know of my sexual history. Even though it sounds scary to tell, it's important to let the person you love know. If they are mature, they'll understand and love you anyway. To those who have it, good luck with life and remember that you're not alone.

Comment from: Jstkdng, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

I've been dealing with this struggle since I was 18, now I'm 21. I take the medications I need to and I just try to remain healthy, I go to the gym, eat right and drink a lot of water. I do sometimes have a few breakouts here and there, sometimes really bad on my skin sometimes I think it is acne and then I put it together; during women's time of month it can be bad.

Comment from: Lovely2, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 15

Today I received some news I thought I would never hear – I have herpes. I was with my ex for two years and he was sneaky, but I didn't think he would cheat. Silly me – to be so naive back then. It's been a whole year, and now I've been in a relationship for seven months and I hope I didn't infect my partner. I have to sit him down and talk to him because I'm not sure if it was him that gave it to me or my ex. I will be starting Valtrex tomorrow.

Genital Herpes - Treatment Question: What kind of treatment are you using for genital herpes?
Genital Herpes - Symptoms Question: What symptoms of genital herpes did you have with your first outbreak?
Genital Herpes - Pregnancy Question: How did you manage your genital herpes during pregnancy?