Patient Comments: Genital Herpes In Women - Treatments

What effective treatments have you found for your genital herpes?

Comment from: rabbit, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: November 12

Valacyclovir helps treat, suppress, or reduce the transmission of genital herpes in people with normal immune systems and ciprofloxacin treats bacterial infections. These 2 medicines together help flare ups or primary outbreaks you may have. It's what I'm taking now and imp 18. I just recently found out I have herpes and this medicine really helps the pain, you'll still feel weak don't get me wrong but you won't hurt as much on the down under if you know what I'm saying girls. Don't let this effect your life. Yes it is heartbreaking when you have it but there is no way now to expunge it from your body, nor mine. My cousin had it and she was SO full of life and NEVER let it get in her way of doing whatever she wanted, and neither will I. it's not going to beat me down and it shouldn't for you either. You're a strong woman.

Comment from: Female Published: October 14

I just turned 23 three weeks ago and been with my boyfriend for two years and live together we are pretty much married, I'm going to the clinic in the morning to find out exactly what I have but I'm fearing the worst, I noticed the four little bumps two nights ago and talked with my bf about it and showed him, then again tonight. I haven't had any of the symptoms that have been talked out no itching, no flu like symptoms none of them except when the bumps are touched they hurt a little. I'm afraid, although my bf says he doesn't mind or cares he loves me and won't leave me, his body language and talkativeness has lessened tonight. I have no clue who I may have gotten it from since I've only been with two people in the past 5 years, if I have it. It's a scary feeling but I guess it's not the end of the world.

Comment from: janedoe13, Published: September 24

About a week after I had sex w my partner, I noticed a burning and itching sensation near my vulva area. I finally took a mirror and looked to see what exactly was down there, and I noticed ulcer like sores. I have been with my boyfriend for the past 7months. Before him, I was with my son's father for years. I went to the urgent care doctor, and he gave me meds for herpes. I have to wait for the results. I have no idea who could have given me this. I am so afraid to tell my current boyfriend. I love him and I am unsure how he will react. I know I didn't give it to myself but I don't know how I contracted this disease if it's even herpes.

Comment from: livingthelife, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 21

I am a 23 year old female with herpes. I got diagnosed 9 months ago. To all of the women out there who just found out and are scared; understand that there are many other people out there with this same problem. I recently got married and was so scared to tell my boyfriend (before we were married) about this problem, but surprisingly he understood. Herpes happens. It doesn't change who you are and no one is judging you. I take valtrex daily and haven't had a single outbreak since. Don't be scared to talk to your doctor, they are there to help you.

Comment from: lovelylady7, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 14

Hello, I don't have herpes but my boyfriend disclosed to me that he has had it for less than 1 year. I love him so much, but I'm scared and worried about contracting it. I'm also worried about discussing it with him, as I don't think he has coped well with his diagnosis. He's very sensitive about it. But I feel as though I have no one to talk to about my concerns, especially since I feel talking about it with him would upset him.

Comment from: ashley, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 23

Try not to touch the area, for example if you resist the temptation to itch than it helps to stop the outbreak and secondly once there is an outbreak soak the affected area in warm saline water, it helps!

Comment from: vermonter, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I am 42 and have dated a man who has herpes below the waist and above the waist. I have tested positive for herpes but not the same type he has. I have had no outbreaks. I have had my type for 25 years. Doc says I tested positive because I had chicken pox as a kid. I am not contagious. I did get a few small red sores on my vagina; I shave, so they turned out to be infected hair follicles. So go to the doctor. I am no longer with the man. I can only hope I don't ever get it, but if I do , it's not the end of the world. Remember that.

Genital Herpes - Treatment Question: What kind of treatment are you using for genital herpes?
Genital Herpes - Symptoms Question: What symptoms of genital herpes did you have with your first outbreak?
Genital Herpes - Pregnancy Question: How did you manage your genital herpes during pregnancy?