Patient Comments: Genital Herpes In Women - Treatments

What effective treatments have you found for your genital herpes?

Comment from: Upset, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

I am 23 years old and have been living with genital herpes for about 2 years :( I caught it from my current boyfriend through oral sex. (he broke out with a cold sore a few days later) I feel I was in denial but am having another outbreak. My boyfriend is super supportive but I just feel gross. I have never been the type to sleep around so I think this makes it that much worse for me. The breakouts definitely aren't as bad as the first time but I'm still saddened and ashamed. I'm just happy to hear that there are so many others out there like me.

Comment from: martha, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 15

I have been with my husband for 10years never saw or felt anything different but about 6 months ago I was pregnant in my 3rd trimester when I started to get itchy and have a burning sensation. When I looked I had like a blister when I went to my gyne regular visit I asked and she diagnose it was herpes I have not been with none else but my husband. I asked him if he has been with someone else for the past 10 years but he says he has not so I really don't know how I got it.

Comment from: lizzieboxer, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

I am 59 years old and I haven't been in a physical relationship for more than 15 years. One year ago, in the middle of the night I had my first outburst. Of course I was clueless to what was actually going on uncontrollable shaking fever up to 103. To make a long story short, I still have outbreaks but they are a bit less powerful. I keep going on and on in my mind to figure out how, after all these years, the disease decided to rear its ugly head. I know who I got it from, he is now deceased, we dated briefly. The reason that I ended the physical portion of our relationship is because he informed me that he had the virus only after we were intimate for the first time. That was in 1991.

Comment from: yes, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I found out yesterday that I have contracted Herpes from my boyfriend of only 3 months. He had told me he had been tested before we slept together. It was only yesterday I found out that he actually hadn't been tested for 3 years. I am devastated that he could give this to me and not even care. It is the most painful thing I have been through, going to the toilet is near impossible and I have to sleep all day to get through the pain. I have no energy, I can't wait for this to be over.

Comment from: Ann, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 07

To my shock and great sadness, at age 63 I was diagnosed with HSV2. I had the same symptoms other women have reported, the flu-like body aches and fatigue, the burning twinges in the groin, and then those hideous gooey blisters. 14 valacyclovir tablets later, most of the pain is gone, but there are still nerve pulses in my mostly sleepless nights, when I am reminded of this plague that resides in my body. All these years of working out, eating right, and relatively cautious sexual behavior - and now this. I think I got it when I let a man give me oral sex a few weeks ago. What a fool I was, I didn't even have an O. But now I have this rotten virus, forever and so far I cannot feel any response in the clitoris, as if its nerves had died.

Comment from: luvtink91, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 04

I'm 19 about to be 20 in a couple months. I lost my virginity to my boyfriend 4 months before I turned 19. The month before my birthday I got really sick, I had a high fever and just thought it was the flu, then it started hurting to urinate and I got blisters, so I told my mum to take me to the hospital because I thought I had an STD. I found out I had herpes. When I told my boyfriend he cried. He didn't know he had it or where he could have gotten it from. The bad thing is 2 days after my birthday I found out I was pregnant. I have since had my babies, twin boys and neither of them have it thank god. I've had it for almost a year now and only had 1 other outbreak. It was the hardest thing I ever had to go through. I thought waiting until after school and being with this guy who I had wanted to date for 2 years was being smart. I was very stupid to have unprotected sex. Now I wonder if we break up if anyone will ever want to date me. Now I tell all my friends to ask their boyfriends to get tested before they sleep with them, and to be tested after each boyfriend. With the first outbreak it helps to pee in a cold bath so that urine doesn't get on the blisters and burn. The hospital told me to dry off with a hair dryer so that you weren't rubbing the sores, it helped a lot.

Comment from: upset@50, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 16

I am 50 years old and have just found out that I have genital herpes. I can't believe that I have this!!! Especially since I haven't had sex in over 6 years. I didn't know what it was. It just started hurting and looked like I had blisters. I wasn't going to the doctor but when it got worse I decided to go. I'm so glad that I did. I have no idea where or whom I got this from since it has been so long. Just getting ready to start my round of medication.

Genital Herpes - Treatment Question: What kind of treatment are you using for genital herpes?
Genital Herpes - Symptoms Question: What symptoms of genital herpes did you have with your first outbreak?
Genital Herpes - Pregnancy Question: How did you manage your genital herpes during pregnancy?