Patient Comments: Genital Herpes In Women - Treatments

What effective treatments have you found for your genital herpes?

Comment from: MMM, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

I contracted genital herpes from my current husband 12 years ago. He is asymptomatic. On the other hand, when I am under a lot of stress, I start having horrific back pains and I know that is sign of a break out. I take daily medicine for this, but the stress this time is severe. I break out in different places, I got a new hot spot right above my belly button, I have also gotten it in my chest, plus the obvious places. I am very careful to change towels every time I know I have an outbreak and use a smaller towel for the affected areas which I also change.

Comment from: nirad, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 04

I was diagnosed with herpes approximately 1 year ago when I was dating my boyfriend at the time. I have only had one outbreak, so my doctor did not prescribe any medication because it seems to be very mild.

Comment from: applea, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 04

I've had it since 1971...only passed it on to one partner, right after I contracted it. It's best to catch and outbreak early. Why doesn't somebody develop a vaccine so people won't keep on getting this? It is literally a pain where you don't appreciate it.

Comment from: Misz.Pain, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 11

I am a 22 year old single mother of 2. When I was pregnant with my second child I found out that I that I had HSV-2. I could not use the restroom at all without crying so I was stuck with a catheter for 3 weeks. It's been difficult but taking the medicine makes it a little better but I am still looking for different ways to stop the pain if I happen to have a break out.

Comment from: Survivor, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 29

It is Thanksgiving, and I was just diagnosed at 43 with type 2 herpes. I feel that the statistics I read are astounding and wonder how they can be accurate if so many people may be unaware that they have it and are therefore spreading this virus? How can one prevent it if condoms are not foolproof? As far as I can tell by what I have read, abstinence is the ONLY way to prevent transmission. I fear the studies are true, yet there must be millions more cases yet unknown due to an infected person being unaware they are a carrier. It seems to me that this is an epidemic with no end in sight. I, as others I have read about, have no idea who I contacted this from and fear that the infected person who gave it to me may not even know they are infected or for how long I have been a carrier? So it is hard for me to be angry or point fingers and also useless at this time. Even if you have sex with one person, you have to think of everyone you've ever had sex with and everyone they've ever had sex with to figure out the puzzle. I woke up two weeks ago with a cold sore on my bottom lip followed by a small, nickel-sized cluster of pimples on my upper groin (where one would shave for bikini time)that broke open and then crusted over. I had no other symptoms, plenty of energy, no illness at all, just the blistered area that I questioned. I was given Valtrex today to take four pills a day for 10 days. So time will tell how my body will react. I've been happily married for 18 years. Research will ease your mind and know that you obviously are not alone and this condition is shared by millions.

Comment from: single4ever, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 23

I had my first outbreak last Feb. after a very long time of high stress that wore out my adrenals which lowered my immunity, and after no sex for 13 years, so it was laying dormant. Evidently it can do that for decades or forever. The outbreak has not stopped for almost 10 months now and the pain is a level 7-10 24/7. I cannot take pain pills at all and they do not have any pain meds for nerve pain anyway. I was an athlete before this and now my life is at a standstill. Ice helps. Since 85% of America has it actively and since it can lay dormant I'm thinking the number is a lot higher, they'd better take some of that war money and solve this disease. Because almost everyone has it, there's no reason to be ashamed about it. I won't date again, (once this pain is gone I'm never waking up that part of my body again), but for those who are, anyone you date probably has it too. Strengthen your adrenals which will keep your immunity strong, believe me, you do NOT want to have to play catch up as I am.

Comment from: c(:, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: November 11

I'm 17 years old. This summer, I found out I had genital herpes. I started itching, and I told my mother to take me to the doctors, and we went, but they didn't say what it was. I came home and took an extremely hot bath. I thought I needed to soak and do some deep cleansing. That night, in my sleep, I could feel myself itching throughout the night. That morning in school, I could feel the itching sensation, but I never scratched. Later when I got to work, the urge for me to scratch was extreme. I was so embarrassed. I had sex with two partners in my life. I feel so foolish to not press the issue of wearing a condom. When I found out, I didn't cry. I wasn't sad. I was disappointed in myself, but that was my life changing moment. No one knows besides my mother. I just hope I can find that person who accepts me, especially at my age while in high school.

Genital Herpes - Treatment Question: What kind of treatment are you using for genital herpes?
Genital Herpes - Symptoms Question: What symptoms of genital herpes did you have with your first outbreak?
Genital Herpes - Pregnancy Question: How did you manage your genital herpes during pregnancy?