Patient Comments: Genital Herpes In Women - Treatments

What effective treatments have you found for your genital herpes?

Comment from: sarahc2, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 14

I am 35 and single. I had unprotected sex with a guy that I had known from high school. I had asked him what the dry patches were around his penis, and he said, “They are dry patches from the medication I am on." So, I believed him. That was stupid of me to believe him. Then I went to the doctor and found these "dry patches" on me. Yup, it was herpes. This is awful and very hard for me to deal with. I am on my third round of Valtrex. I know this will clear up, and I will be able to have sex again, but in the meantime, it is very frustrating. Will I be able to find a man that can handle this?

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 28

I am a soon to be 60 year old woman. Four years ago I began having symptoms of genital herpes. I have not been sexually active for about ten years. The person that I know I got it from told me he had herpes, but not until we had already been intimate. He was positive that if he was not in the middle of an outbreak that he couldn't infect me. I knew otherwise, broke up with him, and waited. That was over 20 years ago and I have had one other long-term relationship since. The doctor says that I apparently had the virus for all that time but just never had an outbreak. Now, I am aware of an onset of the disease but I choose not to take any medicine because my incidences seem to be every two years. During the first 24-36 hours I feel like I had been run over by a Mack truck. The first time it occurred I was clueless. I began violently shivering, fever ran up to 103 degrees, sweating, just horrible!! Now, at the onset, I still have the same symptoms but they have eased up a bit. The body soreness remains, as does the fever. The shivers are not as bad. I am so happy to read that some people are able to find partners who don't feel the need to run in the other direction....I wish I was that lucky.

Comment from: FLGirl87, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 20

I just recently got checked out last week and the doctor told me I was infected with herpes type 2. I had no idea where I got it from. I was dating someone at the time and we dated for 3 1/2 months but we ended up breaking up but not because I told him I had the herpes. He took it pretty well which shocked me because I know how people react when you tell someone you've been infected with herpes. Now he's got to go and get checked out but every time is telling me he might have given it to me, but didn't want to say anything. We never used condoms and I feel really stupid for not protecting myself. I don't have the herpes on my vagina, well a few small sores but I have breakouts near the rectum area but I don't do it in that particular spot during intercourse. My ex asked me if I thought he gave it to me but I told him I don't know! I knew something was wrong because I was feeling flu like symptoms for 2 weeks and was having trouble urinating and going to the bathroom.

Comment from: BillieR., 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: August 24

About 6 months ago I had my first herpes outbreak, at first it was a lot of itching and I thought I was having another yeast infection, but after the yeast infection treatment didn't work and the itching still remained I knew it was something else. That's when little bump like blisters would start to appear in the vaginal area. I was in denial about it at first until I went to a clinic and a doctor looked at it and said it definitely looked like an outbreak. I was so in shock that she never even actually tested me for herpes, so until this day I have not been diagnosed but the symptoms seem like herpes symptoms ,anyway, I've learned that taking your prescription medicine and drinking lots of water help the outbreaks clear faster and reduces the pain to little or none! Also try putting camphor phenique on the blisters, reduces the pain and help them heal faster. Hope I helped some of you, if you're religious keep praying to God because he is healer of all. Trust Him.

Comment from: Rufus, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 29

I am 56 years old and I had started itching. For years off and on I have had outbreaks of vaginitis. It was the time for my annual physical and I told them of my symptoms. I went through a whole tube of Vagisil. They took blood work and cultures, gave me something to numb the area. Results came in today, I have type 2 Herpes. I am lucky I told them because I usually just try to fix it myself. The sad part is that I am not sexually active. I am divorced 12 years now. It's pretty frightening. I urge everyone to get checked.

Comment from: Grandmaw, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I've had herpes for 33 years. My husband gave it to me a short time after we married. He said he didn't know he had it, but I surely know I have it. It's very painful and I have breakouts several times a year. I use Lysine ointment from GNC for the sores and take lysine capsules, 2 per day during breakout and the sores go away pretty fast. The first GYN I asked about it said, “Oh, you just have herpes,” and didn't offer any meds. I've never mentioned it to any other doctor so don't take prescription medications for it.

Genital Herpes - Treatment Question: What kind of treatment are you using for genital herpes?
Genital Herpes - Symptoms Question: What symptoms of genital herpes did you have with your first outbreak?
Genital Herpes - Pregnancy Question: How did you manage your genital herpes during pregnancy?